PDA

View Full Version : living each day in fear of head pains, can anyone help?

Lollymandy
19-10-16, 09:14
I am waiting for a GP appointment which isn't until 1st November unless I consider that I need to see the GP as an emergency in which case I will get a same day appointment, being a HA sufferer, I am too well aware that these head pains too, may have a reasonable explanation :-( Ten days ago whilst at work I got an out of the blue 1 or 2 second headache in my forehead (between eyes, 1 inch up and 1 inch to the right) it was horrible, a bad pain and not something you could tolerate much of. 3 full days went by until I got it again, the pain wasn't quite as much of a shock so it wasn't quite as painful the second time, but still painful and almost shooting pain in nature, it happened again the next day twice, then nothing again until yesterday, when I had it just once, but once is enough, again not as painful as the first one but the same as all the other times. Yesterday I started googling despite not doing it initially I couldn't help myself yesterday. Of course I ended up with the result of Aneurysm and these pains are pre warning pains called a "Sentinel" headache. Despite having a MRI 3 years ago, I am convinced this is what is happening and I am living in FEAR now until 1st November. I am trying so hard to rationalise, but failing, Should I go for a an emergency appointment? even just to ease my mental health anxiety?? I get lots of headaches but never anything like this. Thanks in advance.

Gary A
19-10-16, 09:35
These sound like ice pick headaches, which are sudden bursts of head pain that last a few seconds at a time and are focused on a specific area. They are harmless but unfortunately there is no treatment, as the pain doesn't last long enough for anyone to really investigate the cause. They certainly aren't caused by anuerysms.

The type of headaches you're referring to are sudden, severe and above all prolonged in nature. They hit you like a tonne of bricks and cause huge discomfort for lengthy periods of time. They are caused by small leakages in any potential anuerysm. Trust me, that type of thing simply won't disappear in seconds.

By all means speak to your doctor and allow them to make an assessment, but I truly believe you're worrying over something that is both very common, and completely harmless.

Mrschurchill
19-10-16, 09:40
Was gonna say Ice Pick headaches aswell! About once a year I get these and they are terrifying but if you read about them, they are totally harmless... just scary! x

Lollymandy
19-10-16, 10:10
Thank you very much for the responses Gary A and Mrschurchill, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me. I feel somewhat reassured, I have actually had my days off work this week ruined by the overwhelming fear that these pains are pre Aneurysm. I am going to try really hard today to stop ruminating over this constantly.

Mrschurchill
19-10-16, 12:16
They are scary and painful - there's no doubt about it. But once you know what they are, you'll be able to brush them off. They will disappear eventually! x

ServerError
19-10-16, 12:55
I feel like, with these things being harmless, they really shouldn't be calling them "ice pick headaches". Something like "cuddle twinge" or "affection ache" would be much better and trigger far less worry!

Mrschurchill
19-10-16, 13:54
Aw a cuddle twinge lol I like it!

Lollymandy
19-10-16, 17:38
I feel a bit lighter in my mood about these now, this morning before I posted I was feeling like I wanted to remain in bed, frightened to go out in case I died, instead I went out with my mum and enjoyed my day off, You are right Mrschurchill these pains are really scary when they happen and it is the fact that you dont know when it will strike, I have had the pain once or twice a day in 5 days out of 10......... I really hope I dont get another, but I have my appointment which I will keep on the 1st Nov.