PDA

View Full Version : The truth about alcohol

Meg
26-10-03, 22:08
Why I don't drink anymore

(by Tom Edwards, no idea who he is/was ) that summarises the effects neatly :

I changed because I have the sickness of alcoholism, alcoholism doesn't come in bottles, it comes in people.

You should have seen me.

I drank for happiness and became unhappy.
I drank for joy and became miserable.
I drank to become outgoing and became self-centred.
I drank for sociability and became argumentative and lonely.
I drank for sophistication and became crude and obnoxious.
I drank for friendship and made enemies.
I drank to soften sorrow and wallowed in self-pity.
I drank for strength and felt weak.
I drank for masculinity and it sapped my potency.
I drank medicinally and became sick.
I drank because I thought my job called for it and lost my job.
I drank to stimulate and blacked out.
I drank to make conversation and got to where I couldn't talk at all.
I drank to forget and became haunted.
I drank for freedom and became a slave.
I drank for power and became powerless.
I drank to erase problems and saw them multiply.
I drank to cope with life, and invited death.

Keep it under control - please

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

benoo5
27-10-03, 01:30
thanks for that meg,its sooo true,
to get to work,i have to travel by underground,and while ime on the escalators,i try to read the ads on the walls (not the undies lol )
i love a couple glasses of whisky at nite,always have done,never thought about it,until a few years ago,i saw this add...DO YOU CONTROL YOUR DRINK,OR DOES IT CONTROL YOU...well,it stuck in my mind for weeks,so i said, THATS IT,IME GOING TO FIND OUT,so from that minute onward,i never had a drink for about 9/10 months...so i knew it didnt control me,i was in charge.
ime one of the lucky ones,i can have two large whiskies at night,relaxes me,after a hard day,but the moment i think it controls me,i swear to god,i will stop for good...great post meg....bryan

Laurie28
27-10-03, 09:18
Radar,

Above brought tears to my eyes. I don't drink alot but in a family with many alcoholics in it (my mother being the closest) I can't believe how true that sounds. Good luck to anyone who has the courage to stay of drink if they have a problem, I wish them the best.

I've always been told alcoholism is an illness
Lucky

Meg
27-10-03, 09:23
Excellent Bryan.

It's so lovely to have to have pleasures in life and a few drinks is certainly one of them.
I certainly wouldn't like to think that I couldn't sink a couple on a Friday night or a few tinnies whilst desperate for England to get through to the Rugby World Cup finals but I know I don't need them - it enhances not dominates.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
27-10-03, 12:35
Couldn't agree more Radar.

Laurie28
27-10-03, 14:24
BUT I HAVE TO SAY IT WOULD BE SCOTLAND IN THE RUGBY AND NOT ENGLAND!!!
MUST ADMIT DON'T KNOW THE RULES VERY WELL BUT LIKE LOOKING AT ALL THE GUYS LEGS!!

LUCKY

benoo5
27-10-03, 20:48
its WALES for me !!!

bishop
29-10-03, 14:47
hi radar
loved the rather large tale thought it was really good,which drink is your tipple then,tea, coffee, water,orange juice,cola,milk,apple,pineapple please do tell
bish

nomorepanic
01-11-03, 20:00
I like to drink but I do know that sometimes I drink too much!

I don't sleep well and a few glasses of wine helps (yes I know that it is supposed to disturb sleep).

I think anything in moderation and make sure it doesn't control you!

Nicola