PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain on Citalopram

Amani
19-10-16, 22:01
I was prescribed Citalopram around late spring/early Summer this year. I came off it after only around 3 weeks as I noticed I gained weight in that time. I actually gained 10 pounds. I have a lot of issues surrounding my appearance so this was a big deal for me.

Well it's like 5 months later and I still have not shifted any of the weight, despite my eating habits being exactly the same as always (I don't even eat a lot). And I'm actually even more active now than I was before. Today I saw the doctor and she said it could take up to a YEAR for the weight gain side effect to subside. This is now actually really depressing me, as I've been feeling rubbish about myself everyday because of the extra weight.

I was wondering what other people's experiences of weight gain on Cit have been? Do you find it has made you gain weight? How long did it take you to lose the weight if you came off it? Did you find a way to combat the weight gain? etc. Thanks

brucealmighty
19-10-16, 22:56
I was on it a long time and certainly put a lot of weight on, it took me a while and several different approaches to shift it too. I found the best way was not eating at night, avoiding sugary food, and mixing up boxing training, long walks, treadmill etc whatever I could do.

I don`t know if its just in my head but it seemed very difficult to shift the weight, so I hope you find a way that works for you soon. I know it can get you down but you`re still you, and 10lbs isn`t a huge amount. I was told it takes roughly 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat so if you can reduce your intake by 500 a day or exercise to burn that many, you`ll lose a true pound a week. ten weeks all done.

If you`re not eating a lot you may need to eat small meals but eat more often to keep your blood sugar steady and speed up your metabolism. green tea helps too but please don`t go down the road of `diet` pills or thermogenics which raise your core temperature, they can be very dangerous.

hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you need to talk any more

pollynewsome
20-10-16, 21:26
I was 10st 2 Jan this year. Started cit in April and I am now 11st 9.. not changed my food intake and still jogging but yet continuing to gain weight. Gutted! I did have the pill injection in August but I had put most of the weight on by then. Grrrr

Amani
23-10-16, 00:56
brucealmighty - Thank you for your reply and your advice. I think if I take away 500 calories from my diet that would be a bit much, but I may subtract a bit to speed up the process. I did also decide as of a few days ago to cut out any sort of junk from my diet, so I hope that makes some difference. I think I will basically do double the amount of exercise too!

pollynewsome - I totally get how you feel! It's actually quite shocking how much these meds can make on gain weight

pollynewsome
23-10-16, 08:16
I know. It's awful. Keep strong. Xx

Bike Rider
23-10-16, 11:09
Hi Amani, I gained weight too on Cit, but I lost motivation to do things as well so that didnt help.

Try not to worry about it, get yourself well first and the weight will start to go.

Take your time and dont be in a rush to lose it, you will get despondent if it lingers. Cut a few calories of your diet, especially alcohol, if you drink that is and a little extra exercise, it will go.