PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you retch/gag during endoscopy?

cjemc
20-10-16, 16:22
Wouldn't this be extremely dangerous given that you would be trying to expel the tube which was in your stomach and in your esophogus?

I was just wondering because I have read stories on other forums where people say they retched/gagged uncontrollably and the procedure had to be stopped.

That's the one thing that has stopped me from having this particular procedure.

MyNameIsTerry
20-10-16, 22:56
Then they deal with it and remove the tube. They are highly trained and very used to situations like this considered how many tubes get inserted down the airway in life threatening situations on a daily basis.

cjemc
21-10-16, 12:28
Then they deal with it and remove the tube. They are highly trained and very used to situations like this considered how many tubes get inserted down the airway in life threatening situations on a daily basis.

Hi Terry, my Mum had an endoscopy in 2001 and she was in acute discomfort and they held her down and wouldn't stop the procedure.

Do you think tubes get inserted on a daily basis in life threating situations and if so what life threatening situations are we talking about? Are you referring purely to endoscopies or are there other times when tubes need to be inserted down the airway???

Sam Winter
21-10-16, 14:41
If you retch too bad or vomit they usually have the tools to suction it up and stuff, some times they hold you down and that really sucks but it's never happened with my family so maybe ask that before hand? as far as tubes they're really skilled with it, they have to use a tube to help some breathe if they've stopped, to pump someone's stomach ect, so they're usually extremely skilled x

MyNameIsTerry
22-10-16, 06:35
In A&E depts all around the world they are putting in pipes for us to breathe through when we are brought in close to death. They save our lives with them. They do the same in many operations.

So, my point is that this these types of actions are common place in hospitals and even used in the most life threatening off circumstances where risks are constant. And so you don't need to worry about whether they know what they are doing if you get into difficulty.

The best thing you could do is talk to them about your precise issue with the retching. As long as they know, they will have discussed a plan of action beforehand in case they need to respond. They are very used to such tests being difficult for people with anxiety disorders so they can help you through it.

With your retching it's obviously going to be a worry for you. You are going to be worrying about doing it and it may likely bring it on. If they can explain how they will handle this, it would hopefully reassure you. Remember, your mum doesn't have your retching issue so they obviously decided the best course of action was what they did. They have standards to adhere to which are laid down for them and how they conduct such tests come from the combined knowledge of medical professionals around the world over the years.

StrangeQuark
24-10-16, 15:42
I had an endoscopy without sedation earlier this year and have an easily triggered gag reflex. This was my experience: I gagged quite a lot but they were able to continue on with the procedure. It was unpleasant but it was also over in about five minutes (I think). The staff soothed and encouraged me, and gave me guidance on relaxing and breathing through it. They would then continue on when I was able to stop gagging.

I was terrified when they wheeled me into the room! I won't pretend it was an enjoyable experience, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as I’d feared. I was out of hospital and home about an hour later with only a slight sore throat for my troubles.

Terry’s right, speak to the hospital staff about your concerns before the endoscopy and I’m sure they’ll be able allay your concerns.

skymaid
24-10-16, 16:42
I'd never have this without sedation myself unless there's some reason you can't.

My friend had it with sedation and some kind of numbing agent to supress the gag reflex (maybe it was local) and said they barely remembered it.

Polar Bear
25-10-16, 09:20
I was like Skymaid's friend and had sedation. They tried to do it without sedating me but there was no that my gag reflex was going to allow that. Whilst the staff then said that the consultant wouldn't be very happy if they sedated me, that is what they did. I barely remember anything the procedure from then on except a vague feeling and a bit of a sore throat afterwards. Agree with the others about talking to them beforehand.