PDA

View Full Version : Headache worries

AdamB1
21-10-16, 10:20
Hi there,

30 year old male here - who's suffered from HA for about 10 years. First time poster here.

I just thought I would pass on my thanks to people on this forum for their advice and sharing of information as for someone new here it really helps.

I've "had" many ailments over the past 10 years, plus the poking, prodding, Googling (don't get me started), asking others if I will be ok etc etc. I've had CBT two years ago and it did vastly help me - but I still get the occasional slip up / issue.

My latest issue is a pain in the head at the top right hand side. It is occasional and came on suddenly after a virus last week and has been causing short stabbing pains when I move around or breathe deep etc. I've been consumed by it for over a week and saw my GP (which, in itself, is a trauma as I dread what he will tell me) yesterday. I have to point out that having a good doctor is absolutely paramount in my opinion of dealing with HA. I'm very lucky indeed.

I've also had other symptoms in the last week such as feeling sick, dizzy, tired, irritable, lump in throat - but I hasten to add I think they are my anxiety manifesting itself in physical issues. Trying to separate the anxiety issues from head issues is the challenge though!

I explained to the doc about the pain and my incessant worry that it's a brain tumour. He understood. He also told me that tumour pain is generally "diffused" - which I think he means is all over the head and mine isn't. We also spoke about my posture as it isn't the best and I had already Google'd and found a situation in which nerves can be pressured and pulled when using a laptop all day - and generate headache (Occipital Neuralgia). So I have to work on that. He told me to have a "checking period" three times a day (CBT technique) where I check for symptoms and mess with my head in the AM, then at lunch, then in the PM and that's it. Postpone all other checking until then he said - and concentrate on posture.

Then he shone a light in my eyes and made me follow his finger as he moved it - and a couple of other questions ensued like "Are you dropping things lately etc". But at the end he said he has not seen or heard anything that concerns him to take action at this stage. I wondered what he meant by "at this stage" but tried not to read anything in to it.

The doc said that he sees maybe 1/2 people per week where he thinks the headache needs further attention and I guess out of maybe approx 200 people he sees in a week that's good! Quite a low risk.

So now I'm working on trusting what he says, not asking for reassurance, not Googling stuff (this is my downfall, really my downfall) and trying to relax. It's not easy at all - but reading other people in the same boat on here makes me feel relaxed more as I know there's other people doing the same and willing to get a plan in place to beat HA. Thanks for your support - one day we will be free of HA!

:)

Adam