PDA

View Full Version : Increasing Mirt from 7.5mg to 10mg?

boo1978
21-10-16, 16:25
Hi,

I've been on Mirtazapine before @ 15mg. And it worked ok - served a purpose at the time.

I recently started having Panic Attacks, which I've never experienced before. Even though I have a long history of depression. I think they're an extension of the moderate/ severe health anxiety I've had for a couple of years. When I'm having one of these attacks I can feel my heart pounding, my throat feels tight and I feel disorientated and dizzy. Although part of my brain still thinks there something seriously wrong with me, I think there are due to anxiety because taking just 1mg of Diazepam takes the symptoms away. And I usually start to panic when I have to leave the house or see anyone - and it usually dissipates after I've done the thing I was panicking about. But once I've had one of these episodes I get residual symptoms and anxiety for the rest of the day.

My question is, has anyone increased there dose of Mirt from 7.5mg to 10mg? And what symptoms positive or negative did you experience?

I've been taking 7.5mg every night for 14 days, but I still don't seem to have anxiety/ panic attacks under control. I have an absolutely brilliant days two days ago, where I thought I was 'fixed'. Mood was good and no panic or feeling of impending doom. And even when thinking about the things that have been causing me to panic over the last few weeks, had no effect on me. But yesterday and today, symptoms came back and I've had to resort to taking diazepam.

I'm a bit anti-d's - especially the weight gain associated with Mirt. I've only just lost the 2.5 stone I put on last time. But I have a big event next weekend, and would like to get myself back to at least a functional level. So I'm wodnering whether increasing dose would help? But I don't want to go through more start-up symptoms :shrug:

Shazamataz
21-10-16, 20:46
Hi there,

Mirt won't fix panic attacks at such a low dose. Usually 7.5 is only for helping with sleep.

I tried going the low dose route and it didn't do anything. After a brief spell of no meds I was started on 30mg Mirt straight away and didn't notice any start up effects. It helped with the anxiety for a bit then pooped out so now I'm on venlafaxine.

I am now going off Mirt because of the weight gain.

hanshan
22-10-16, 06:14
Hi Boo,

A dose increase might help, but it's only a small jump from 7.5 mg to 10 mg. Make sure you talk with your doctor before making any change.

If 1 mg of diazepam is able to stop the panic symptoms, then you shouldn't worry if you are taking it on an occasional, as-needed basis. It's a very low dose. Remember, if you have a big event coming up, your anxiety is likely to increase, so try thinking of calming strategies before it happens.