PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety cause muscle cramps?

sophemm
22-10-16, 08:30
For the past 4 weeks I've been getting pain in my right leg. There was no swelling or redness but I convinced myself it was DVT and went to the doctor. He checked my leg and said I'd probably pulled a muscle and it should settle down in a week. I ended up back at the doctor a week later as it was still painful, my calf muscle felt tight and I'd also developed some chest pain and a cough so was now worried about a pulmonary embolism. This doctor said the same as the last but had no explanation for my chest pains and cough. I ended up breaking down about my health anxiety and he referred me for therapy. Since then the pain has come and gone, but since it came back yesterday I've been worrying about DVT again!! Now I'm wondering if the cramps are caused by anxiety. I'm not sure if the pain came back before or after I was thinking about the fact I'd been sat down most of the weekend in hospital with my son. There is still no swelling or redness the only symptom I have is a dull ache in my leg. I feel like I'm going crazy, it's all I can think about :weep:

Phuzella
22-10-16, 09:14
Low magnesium can cause cramps

EKB
22-10-16, 13:15
Yes anxiety can cause all sorts of muscle pain. I have muscle pain right now - though not in my legs this time.

I did used to get leg pain that was a dull ache and it was attributed to weakness in my hips. The pain would go into my calf. A bit of physio and some exercises really helped. Maybe worth a try?

SLA
22-10-16, 13:21
I get a horrendously sharp pain in my back sometimes with anxiety/stress.

It shows up when i'm nervous. Went on a date with a girl once, and I had to smile and say nice to meet you while it felt like I was being stabbed in the back.

sophemm
22-10-16, 13:57
Thanks for your replies. Glad to know it can be anxiety related, I just keep trying to reassure myself that pain from a blood clot wouldn't come and go and convince myself of other things it could be as its driving me mad.

ScaredMama
22-10-16, 14:16
For over a week now I've been experiencing pain/buzzing/throbbing behind my left leg, and finally I was so freaked out about it being a possible popliteal aneurysm or DVT (thank you google) that I visited the ER. I had an ultrasound done and it was all clear, however, due to my other symptoms (that the doctor asked me unprovoked), in my case it may be neurological. He asked me if any of the doctors I'm following have mentioned MS, which they have. That being said, I've also changed my diet significantly to treat a potential stomach ulcer. I'm lactose intolerant and never drink milk, and now I've almost completely cut out cheese as well (and I'm breast feeding a toddler). Apparently, a calcium or magnesium deficiency can cause this sensation so yesterday I picked up some Tums (calcium carbonate) and my sensation was SIGNIFICANTLY diminished last night when lying down. We have a tendency to jump to the worst case scenario: DVT, aneurysm, MS, but sometimes it can be as benign as a magnesium or calcium deficiency.

sophemm
22-10-16, 14:26
For over a week now I've been experiencing pain/buzzing/throbbing behind my left leg, and finally I was so freaked out about it being a possible popliteal aneurysm or DVT (thank you google) that I visited the ER. I had an ultrasound done and it was all clear, however, due to my other symptoms (that the doctor asked me unprovoked), in my case it may be neurological. He asked me if any of the doctors I'm following have mentioned MS, which they have. That being said, I've also changed my diet significantly to treat a potential stomach ulcer. I'm lactose intolerant and never drink milk, and now I've almost completely cut out cheese as well (and I'm breast feeding a toddler). Apparently, a calcium or magnesium deficiency can cause this sensation so yesterday I picked up some Tums (calcium carbonate) and my sensation was SIGNIFICANTLY diminished last night when lying down. We have a tendency to jump to the worst case scenario: DVT, aneurysm, MS, but sometimes it can be as benign as a magnesium or calcium deficiency.

That's really interesting to hear as I have been avoiding dairy recently (I was convinced it was giving me headaches and they mostly stopped when I cut down) so that could explain it. I haven't cut out dairy completely so maybe it comes back on when I've not had enough. I've just started taking multi-vitamins so hopefully that will help.