PDA

View Full Version : Bad anxiety while driving

Catcat26
22-10-16, 23:10
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've had anxiety on and off for the last 12 years. It's recently got really bad while I'm driving or being a passenger in a car. I don't think it's a panic attack as such, it's more like extreme anxiety, feeling very frightened, really dizzy and very hot. I had to make a 10 minute journey tonight and just couldn't do it, my partner had to take over the driving. Even then the anxiety was still there and I felt so dizzy. On the return journey it came back just as badly, I thought I was going to collapse, it was truly terrifying, I didn't think I would be able to get home. I'm pretty sure the dizziness is anxiety related but I don't know what to do about it. I'm scared that I'll have to give up driving and won't be able to travel in a car anymore.
Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

ana
22-10-16, 23:26
I used to be in a situation similar to yours till very recently. I would be unable to feel calm in the car,especially if I was the passenger. I'd get really bad anxiety and feelings of depersonalisation. The thing is,your mind has crated an association between driving and anxiety,and so every situation that involves driving causes you to panic. Whilst I don't know how to break this association once and for all,I do know that you need to keep trying to prove to yourself that driving isn't dangerous or threatening. Perhaps try and go on short drives when you've got nowhere to go and work your way up from there. This kind of exposure therapy can work wonders.

Mermaid16
23-10-16, 00:17
Hi! There is a ver good you tube video called 'How to end driving anxiety' by Barry McDonagh. This is a really good starting point. I have a similar fear, but mine is only being on control of the car with kids in it or driving by myself. If there is a competent adult that can drive I'm fine. Good luck, you will get there. Watch the video as it explains a lot. Tracy xx

ana
23-10-16, 07:55
Barry Mcdonagh is a recovered anxiety sufferer,and I had a few Skype sessions with him. He really knows what he's talking about and all his advice is really useful.

Catcat26
23-10-16, 18:29
Thank you very much for your kind replies. I did a bit of driving today ( only 3 miles!!) It wasn't quite as bad as last night but I was pleased to get home!! I'm not looking forward to driving to work tomorrow, it's only 7 miles away- a journey I've made nearly every day for the last 15 years. That's why I can't understand why the whole driving thing has got so bad!! I'll have a look at the you tube video. Thank you again.

ana
24-10-16, 17:15
Well done on doing a bit of driving! I know how scared you are,even though I don't have a problem with driving (I used to!) I experience anxiety and panic on my way to and from work. It's frustrating because it happens every day! please don't be upset if you get better and then worse again. Progress is never linear and it's about learning how to cope when things are bad

Catcat26
25-10-16, 20:31
Thank you ana. I know what you mean about how frustrating it is. I've driven the same route to work for the last 15 years and suddenly it's become so scary!! I do get so fed up when I seem to be making a bit of progress and then feel like I'm back to square one!! You are exactly right- I do need to learn to cope better during the bad times.

ana
26-10-16, 07:59
I can completely relate to what you're going through. One thing I've found helps is just lowering your expectations of yourself. If you go to work assuming you'll feel either good or bad,it doesn't make you feel disappointed in yourself when you go out assuming you'll be ok and then end up feeling anxious and terrible instead. The 'whatever happens,happens' attitude has helped me get rid of some of the tension and anticipation anxiety.

NoraB
26-10-16, 08:21
Barry Mcdonagh is a recovered anxiety sufferer,and I had a few Skype sessions with him. He really knows what he's talking about and all his advice is really useful.

Is he the bloke who wrote the Dare book?

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

I had a panic attack at the wheel a few months back. It scared me but I made myself keep getting in the car. As it is, I'm better if I'm driving because when I'm concentrating on the road, I can't be worrying about how I feel. I also watch what music I have on. While I'm in this state, no Linkin Park. :scared15:

Happy songs or Classic FM zone only in my mobile for the forseeable!

Catcat26
26-10-16, 21:03
I guess that's what you need to do: keep driving. I was all for giving up driving last week and selling my car!! Bit by bit I'm trying to do some driving every day. I need to try to take that attitude ana- whatever happens, happens. Yesterday for example this recent spell of anxiety seemed to be lifting but today it's been back badly. It's left me so upset feeling like I'll never get better. I was sure because yesterday was ok that today would be the same.

randomforeigner
27-10-16, 06:13
@Catcat26 This is really inspiring! Anyway, as you might have realized, it's must be much harder to drive on the left side of the road, than on the right side of the road. I get dizzy just thinking (from a distance up here in Scandinavia) about how everything in your cars must be mirrored, not to mention the traffic jams you have to cope with, simultaneously. Just think about the roundabouts, entering from the wrong side. I can hardly even visualize it. Anyway, I think it might be a women thing, you hand over the actual driving to the guy, get out of practice, and soon forget how to do it. I've seen this happen many times, and not just for myself, my own part. Maybe as much as 50% of women land in this position, I just did a quick sample test of people I have known in my life, and came up with that approximate figure.

Mermaid16
27-10-16, 06:33
I have read so many books regarding panic attacks and they all say you need to expose yourself to the fear to overcome it. I have most recently downloaded an audio book called 'Rewire Your Anxious Brain'. It is really quite interesting if your interested in what is actually happening in the brain to cause the panic and how you need to retrain it, so the anxiety lessens over time.

ana
27-10-16, 07:56
Nora,I believe he is the author,yes.
Oh Cat,I can really relate to what you're going through. The moment you get your confidence (and your hopes!) up,a bad day knocks it. From experience,I can say that the best way to fight the anxiety sometimes is to not fight it at all. ☺

fallingstar
27-10-16, 15:39
Ana,

I was there once before too. I still get those feelings every now and then when driving long distances, such as from school back to my house late at night.

In fact, I had my very first full blown panic attack in my first car when I was newly 19 years old! I didn't drive for weeks. I finally tried again and it was awful however over time it just got a bit better. The problem is I would associate driving with a panic attack - I think we all tend to do that a lot. Once you have a panic attack doing a certain thing or in a certain place, it's almost like you're convinced it will happen again if you're doing the same thing or in the same place. It can be hard to overcome, but you can. I drive miles and miles a day now - probably about 30 - 35 miles a day on average for work and more for school and driving my daughter places.
Wish you all the best and hope driving becomes easier for you as well in the near future. Take care!

dale12345
27-10-16, 18:56
I have read so many books regarding panic attacks and they all say you need to expose yourself to the fear to overcome it. I have most recently downloaded an audio book called 'Rewire Your Anxious Brain'. It is really quite interesting if your interested in what is actually happening in the brain to cause the panic and how you need to retrain it, so the anxiety lessens over time.

Tell me what you think of it. May be I should try it.

ana
28-10-16, 07:50
Falling star,thank you for your kind words. I had my first panic attack in a car,too! It took me many years to feel comfortable in a car again,and now I'm finding it difficult to walk places... it's so annoying how these symptoms keep changing :(

Catcat26
28-10-16, 20:59
Ana- In what way do you find it difficult to walk places? What sort of symptoms do you have?

ana
29-10-16, 07:59
I get really panicky walking places as I feel myself getting further and further away from home/base/safe place. My panic attacks manifest as depersonalisation which makes me feel unreal and numb all over. What symptoms do you get?

Catcat26
29-10-16, 23:40
That must be horrible for you ana. I park my car 5 minutes walk away from my work, often at the moment on the walk there or back I'll feel quite dizzy, my legs will feel shaky and my arms hot and numb, it makes me think that I'll pass out.
It helps a bit if I stop for a minute and pretend to be looking in my bag for something, and just try to calm down!

ana
30-10-16, 07:26
I sometimes feel like that whilst walking,Cat. I wish both of us could just feel OK! It helps me to stop and take a little break by either going into a shop on the way or playing on my phone.

Catcat26
30-10-16, 19:55
I wish both of us could just feel ok too ana!! Horrible anxiety!! I know I've had plenty of times in the past where I have felt ok and I bet you have as well. Things will get better bit by bit.

ana
30-10-16, 21:28
That's exactly right. I've had a number of good years that made me feel under control and happy with my life,but then it got bad again 3 years ago and it's now improving gradually but it's still nowhere near as good as I want it to be...

Saltlick
31-10-16, 14:07
Im 47, having panick attacks since i was 13. After all this time ive found unfortunatly the only way around panick and fear is through it. For me, i will always fear something unless i do it over and over until my mind realizes its ok. It sucks, and its hard and takes along time but its the only way ive found (if you have a fear of something) and even after you conquer the fear you must maintain it or it comes back. Fear of flying for instance, you gotta keep taking flights at least once or twice a year. I have a fear of having panick attacks in public (on a plane ect.) and a fear of being trapped (on a plane, long car ride, on public transit, being away from my home in another state.