PDA

View Full Version : Salmonella fear!

BrokenAge
23-10-16, 08:52
I recently was making fried chicken because it was this new recipe and I like to cook a bit in my past time. So I made two for me and my girlfriend. Her fried chicken looked and tasted fine, but mine had some pink look to it. I cooked them both for roughly the same time. I ate a little more than half of it once I discovered that it had a but of pink to it. It tasted fine but that tint to it set me over the edge. Now I'm paranoid that I've contracted salmonella. I know salmonella is easily treatable and doesn't require a hospital visit but still. I just got over a sickness and I can feel some of it lingering and I read that salmonella in people who are sick can be deadly. I'm still even debating on it was raw or not.

hanshan
23-10-16, 09:40
From the net:

"The USDA further explains that even fully cooked poultry can sometimes show a pinkish tinge in the meat and juices. This is particularly true of young chickens whose bones and skin are still very permeable. Pigment in the bone marrow can color the surrounding tissue and make the bones themselves look very dark. Hemoglobin in the muscles can likewise react with air during cooking to give the meat a pinkish color even after cooking. The chicken's feed and whether it's been frozen can also affect the final color."

So probably the chicken was fine. Even if it was a tiny bit undercooked, you'd be unlucky to come down with salmonella poisoning.