PDA

View Full Version : Help Dealing with Eye Floaters...

FourRings
23-10-16, 15:27
Hi guys and gals,

So I know there are a bunch of threads on eye floaters. Most of them pertaining to worries that there is something wrong with eyesight (retinal detachment, etc).

However I was just wondering... I have had floaters for years (since I was in my mid teens, I'm 27 now).

I don't know if I have developed a couple more, or if I'm just hyperaware. But has anyone really been able to "deal with them" or get acclimated to them?

I have a bunch of them, many of which cross into my field of vision when I look around, especially in brighter situations. I just had a thorough eye exam by an ophthalmologist, he dialated and did a 10-15 min in depth exam. Eyes are fine.

Just constantly irritated. I know it's because im probably hyper aware and get anxious when I notice them. Hoping I can get acclimated.

DrIsMySecondHome
23-10-16, 16:00
Hi I also have lots of floaters which have been increasing over the years. I had my eyes checked and they said my eyes were totally healthy but did give me a leaflet on retinal detachment as I've been have bright lights in one eye too. The main thing is if you have sudden increase of floaters or a dark curtain over your vision, or lightening bolt type lights. If you do then go straight to a and e as they can operate and save your sight

KeeKee
23-10-16, 16:51
I have floaters. I mentioned them to the optician who did the dilation test and said they must be tiny as she couldn't see them.

I have a small streaky one and quite a few that look like tiny circles. As you say they are worse in the light, especially if it's a bright day.

I no longer get anxious when I see mine, but at times they do get on my nerves. If I'm watching TV and there's a large portion of white on the screen I will also notice them more. If I look up to view something, my floaters will 'float' downwards too like snow.

I believe you will get used to them in time. They are nothing but an annoyance.

FourRings
23-10-16, 17:11
I have floaters. I mentioned them to the optician who did the dilation test and said they must be tiny as she couldn't see them.

I have a small streaky one and quite a few that look like tiny circles. As you say they are worse in the light, especially if it's a bright day.

I no longer get anxious when I see mine, but at times they do get on my nerves. If I'm watching TV and there's a large portion of white on the screen I will also notice them more. If I look up to view something, my floaters will 'float' downwards too like snow.

I believe you will get used to them in time. They are nothing but an annoyance.

Thanks for the responses!!

Ya agreed, I do notice them worse when it's bright outside and have the same feeling noticing them when looking at a bright screen.

Do you have them cross into your field of vision as well? (Not just peripheral)

I think they are irritating/distracting more than anything. That being said with health anxiety I find myself looking intentially at blank walls, or bright areas to see if they are worse, etc....

KeeKee
23-10-16, 17:32
Thanks for the responses!!

Ya agreed, I do notice them worse when it's bright outside and have the same feeling noticing them when looking at a bright screen.

Do you have them cross into your field of vision as well? (Not just peripheral)

I think they are irritating/distracting more than anything. That being said with health anxiety I find myself looking intentially at blank walls, or bright areas to see if they are worse, etc....

My floaters are right in the centre of my vision, or pretty much the centre anyway

Ronan23
24-10-16, 06:14
They're completely harmless although they can be a worrying symptom. My best advice is to keep busy, keep distracted, and you'll eventually start to notice them less.

Colicab85
24-10-16, 07:17
It absolutely is because you are hyper aware.

I had a period of around 2 months where I was constantly seeing my floaters and was worried about all manner of things connected to them.

As my anxiety reduced about that particular potential threat to me, so did my noticing of the floaters.

When I go looking for them they are still there is the same place and numbers as before, I just don't care about them now.

Leah88
24-10-16, 09:29
I used to worry about them when I was at uni. I'm not sure why?... maybe I thought they were a new thing when In fact my earliest memory of them was when I was a child. I used to watch them when I'd first wake up and was lying in bed in the morning. My ophthalmologist said if you are human and have eyeballs you will get floaters.

FourRings
24-10-16, 14:14
They're completely harmless although they can be a worrying symptom. My best advice is to keep busy, keep distracted, and you'll eventually start to notice them less.

It absolutely is because you are hyper aware.

I had a period of around 2 months where I was constantly seeing my floaters and was worried about all manner of things connected to them.

As my anxiety reduced about that particular potential threat to me, so did my noticing of the floaters.

When I go looking for them they are still there is the same place and numbers as before, I just don't care about them now.

I used to worry about them when I was at uni. I'm not sure why?... maybe I thought they were a new thing when In fact my earliest memory of them was when I was a child. I used to watch them when I'd first wake up and was lying in bed in the morning. My ophthalmologist said if you are human and have eyeballs you will get floaters.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Yeah, my fear, as I'm hyper aware of them" is more like "How can I get acclimated to something that's in my vision. But i'm sure a lot of it is focus.

Do you guys/gals also have the floaters pass through your central vision as well?

ServerError
24-10-16, 14:44
I had an eye test a few months ago. My vision was all strange and I was noticing floaters. I came away with a clean bill of eye health.

I still have the floaters but I barely notice them. Your brain needs to "learn" not to see them, which it will do in time if you relax and don't worry or focus on your floaters constantly. You'll still notice them from time to time, but they'll have a much reduced impact on you. Just relax and stop obsessing over them. It does get easier to live with them.

FourRings
24-10-16, 15:04
I had an eye test a few months ago. My vision was all strange and I was noticing floaters. I came away with a clean bill of eye health.

I still have the floaters but I barely notice them. Your brain needs to "learn" not to see them, which it will do in time if you relax and don't worry or focus on your floaters constantly. You'll still notice them from time to time, but they'll have a much reduced impact on you. Just relax and stop obsessing over them. It does get easier to live with them.

Thanks so much.

I notice that when I'm talking to someone, or engaged in something that requires concentration, I don't notice them as much, if at all.

I think it's anxiety of "will I ever get used to this", that ends up building up...

Thanks so much for the response!

Colicab85
24-10-16, 15:18
You will.

Server is right.

They are not even part of my concious now and dont notice them. Even though i know they are there.

They ruined a holiday I had back in May, I couldn't stop seeing them and missed out on the awesome place I was staying. Now they aren't a thing at all. I don't care.

God I HATE Anxiety.

FourRings
24-10-16, 20:13
You will.

Server is right.

They are not even part of my concious now and dont notice them. Even though i know they are there.

They ruined a holiday I had back in May, I couldn't stop seeing them and missed out on the awesome place I was staying. Now they aren't a thing at all. I don't care.

God I HATE Anxiety.

Thanks everyone for the posts! It's good to hear that others who have had similar situations have been able to advance to not really noticing them much...

EKB
24-10-16, 20:24
I get them quite a lot, especially when I have eye strain. You might want to ask your ophthalmologist about eye strain because there are things that can help - like glasses for doing computer work, and eye exercises. When my eyes aren't so strained I find the floaters are a lot less noticeable because I can focus away from them easier :)

Gee
24-10-16, 20:41
I went to the optician about floaters a while ago panicking it was some neuro disease - they said it's not to do with that, that they are bits of jelly that come off and u can see them but eventually u will stop seeing them unless new bits break off but it's common he said - he even said he had them!

FourRings
25-10-16, 14:06
I went to the optician about floaters a while ago panicking it was some neuro disease - they said it's not to do with that, that they are bits of jelly that come off and u can see them but eventually u will stop seeing them unless new bits break off but it's common he said - he even said he had them!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Ya it looks like they are completely harmless for the most part, just an irritation.