PDA

View Full Version : Help with commute

Bantam
23-10-16, 21:01
Apologies for sort of posting the same thing in two places. I don't quite have emetophobia but I have a real fear of throwing up in public. I get travel sick in cars but recently I've been tapering my citalopram and have found it means I feel travel sick even on my normal commute (on the underground). I'm now feeling anxious every day and that in itself makes me feel more queasy and I'm in a bit of a vicious cycle! I've had to get to off the tube a few times this last week as I'm paranoid I'll be sick. I've got myself into a bit of a hole over it. Any tips?

SLA
23-10-16, 21:06
I guess I'd ask you what in particular about throwing up in public fills you with fear?

Bantam
23-10-16, 21:16
TBH on a crowded tube partly the practicality of where on earth do you go? There's nowhere private. And just the embarrassment of it, and the worry peoplebwould be annoyed as it might delay their journey...just everything!

randomforeigner
02-11-16, 22:20
I once caught the noro virus and felt sick, went home from work, but was on public transport when I had to suddenly throw up. It came so quickly I just grabbed the nearest bag I had at hand, which happened to be one with two shoes in it (had to throw them away of course, bag, shoes, and all). Trust me, it's so quick, and you feel so sick, that it's a non-issue whether you're in public or not when it happens. You're just happy afterwards that you feel a lot better.

Faith1992
03-01-17, 21:21
Hey Bantam,

Have you heard of Seaband? You can get them over the counter at the pharmacy. You just put them around your wrist and it acts as accupressure to stop travel sickness. Also speak to your doctor about what anti-sickness meds you can take for sickness/nausea whilst taking Citalopram. I used to take Motilium which gets rid of nausea (although I am now aware that it is prescription only) but it acts by emptying the stomach faster/digesting quicker, really I think they are designed for when you feel your tummy is bloated from a big meal etc but I found them very helpful. Of course you MUST speak to your doctor first or pharmacist don't take my word, because I'm not a health professional. Seaband is a good start though. Often with nausea at lot is in your mind and these things can put you at ease. Also eat a light breakfast and then drink a peppermint tea after the food and before your commute. Because peppermint naturally aids digestion and also I find it helps so much with my nausea (I take birth control pills that make me feel really sick) and the tea helps.

Also do you carry a bag to work? If so it can't hurt to carry some plastic bags in there with some handy wipes in case on the off chance you ARE actually sick you can be sick into the bag which would be a lot more discreet that all over the feet of commuters! Still not ideal but knowing you are 100% prepared in case it does happen may just subside your anxiety enough for you nausea to go away on its own :hugs: