PDA

View Full Version : My Werner syndrome obsession is back

Leah88
24-10-16, 09:26
Sorry to be a broken record about this theme - I've had this worry on and off for about a year that I have a premature aging syndrome because I'm 28 and have some grey hair - maybe a 5th of my head is grey and it started when I was 22. I'm also short and have some sebhorric keratosis. I am medicated for anxiety and have mentioned Werner syndrome to my GP and he smiled and said he'd have to write a paper on me if I had it because it's so rare. I have tried cbt ect and it works a lot of the time but this health worry just won't seem to go away. Genetic testing is super expensive and once I find out if I have it, I'll just be even more depressed as there's no cure. The disease scares me so much because it encompasses all diseases in one and its not preventable . With werners you end up dying from cancer in middle age. My latest trigger was a sore on my Achilles which is also a Werner symptom . Some reassurance would be nice. This is the longest health worry I've ever had.

SLA
24-10-16, 09:36
Hi Leah!

I always find it funny when people wish they could worry about something that seems less of a problem. Rather than wishing that they had no worries at all. :D

All I could say is that it would be OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE if you had Werner Syndrome. There would be no sense of doubt at all.

A sore on your achilles is a common thing to have for everyone at some point in their lives.

Anyway, start looking at all the reasons YOU DON'T have Werners. There are loads.

Grey hair is a fact of life no matter what your age. Some people are fully grey by 28, and they dont have Werner Syndrome.

The grey hair is probably a result of all the stress and worry!

axolotl
24-10-16, 09:51
I started going grey in my 20s, and now in my mid-30s I'm not quite as far on as you, but I'm well on my way. A guy I work with has been totally white-haired since his early 20s. Another guy was totally bald in his early 30s. It's just one of those things - men's hair ages at different rates, and some people are unlucky.

Am I right in guessing you know about Werner Syndrome - a very rare and obscure disease - because you once Googled 'premature grey hair' or something? You've essentially searched for something that doesn't require a sinister explanation, and are now convincing yourself mundane things fit when they don't. Sore on your achilles? Get some new shoes.

Colicab85
24-10-16, 10:51
I started going grey at 18.

I'm now around 70% grey and i'm 31.

I like it to be honest, I'm distinguished.

Mrschurchill
24-10-16, 12:33
There's a picture of my auntie aged 28 holding me when I was a baby and her entire head is grey - she started going grey at 20!
Like said above - it would be SO OBVIOUS that you had this syndrome.
Trust us - you do not have this! x

Leah88
25-10-16, 08:47
Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback