PDA

View Full Version : Why does it smell?

Savvy_Darling
24-10-16, 19:10
Ugh I'm having a terrible morning!! :weep:
So I've noticed lately -but I didn't pay much mind at the time- that my pee has been smelling. It's not a bad smell but just a smell. I'm not exactly sure if it's a sweet smell either. It's just a smell! I can't explain it honestly. But so this morning is when I decided to freak out about it. I went on google (which I haven't done for such a long while) and think I have Diabetes...or some other "underlying medical problem" as they put it. When I googled I didn't really click on websites I just kind of scrolled through and read headlines. I'm scared to go on google again as I'm already upset and anxious. I guess diabetes isn't as bad as cancer BUT I don't think I can do the injecting:weep: my boyfriends mom and gramma are diabetic and it's not fun to see what they struggle with. My family has no history of Diabetes and I'm not fat.. my last apt when I was weighed I was only slightly deemed overweight for my height and age. But nonetheless I'm scared. I drank 2 water bottles to see if that helped because I saw something about dehydration but now I can't stop peeing and it's clear but still smells but maybe not as much? I don't know. I told my boyfriend and I went pee again and had him come in and asked him if he smelled anything and only after leaning down did he say it's a bladder infection. He gets kidney stones and stuff so he says his smells sometimes before that. But I don't have no pain or anything or any other symptoms honestly. My question is that if I was dehydrated would the smell go away after drinking water? I can't drink anymore water because I'll just keep peeing and it's already clear so I'd say I'm hydrated.
I'm freaking out right now :weep: and now on top of that I know I won't be able to owe without smelling to see. :(

Traceypo
24-10-16, 19:22
There's two types of diabetes hun, the injecting type is generally when your pancreas has stopped producing insulin. There are many symptoms to this type of diabetes and they are quite obvious ones. I know as my sister is insulin dependent diabetic and it was very evident something was wrong prior to her diagnosis.
The other type of diabetes tends to be linked to weight and can be treated with diet and medication.
You can sometimes get diabetes tests done in chemists so if you're still worried you could talk to a pharmacist.
Xx

Savvy_Darling
24-10-16, 20:58
Even the whole finger pricking freaks me out. I can't handle self inflicting pain. I definitely knew about the 2 different types. I've looked up symptoms before awhile ago bc I've worried about this before (probably because of my bfs mom&gram) so I really can't say I'm experiencing any other symptoms. Another thing is I saw something about duet being a cause and I really haven't changed anything besidwcive been using more garlic powder but I didn't eat it yesterday. But I read about garlic making pee smell. The whole Diabetes thing apparently it smells sweet and I honestly don't know if it does.. I don't think it does. I feel like it just smells like pee enhanced i don't know. I've been drinking a lot of water now though and have been going to the bathroom like crazy. If it was dehydration would the smell be already gone or I wonder if it takes time.

EKB
24-10-16, 21:05
There are many veggies and herbs that will make your pee smell more pungent some days than others - garlic among them. If you're super worried get checked out, but it's really likely nothing to worry about.

Emmaisworried
24-10-16, 22:40
Certain foods make your urine smell differently A one that springs to mind is asparagus!

Give it a few days and see how it is

Traceypo
24-10-16, 22:41
I didn't want to list the symptoms but seen as you know them I'll talk about them.
Sav, my sister came back from London and had lost a lot of weight quickly, she would drink a 3 litre bottle of diet coke in one go and still be thirsty, she looked quite poorly and was very lethargic.
Please don't give this worry any more of your time and energy hun.
Xxx

Savvy_Darling
25-10-16, 02:24
Well I definitely don't like asparagus! Yuck. From the list I saw on the Internet the only I really can say is garlic powder. But I didn't eat any of that yesterday so i don't know how long that would stay in your system. Another thing is that , everything I read on the Internet is that the smell would be foul or like ammonia (and I know what ammonia smells like) and I can't say that's what I'm smelling. The whole "sweet" thing is what gets me because I really don't understand the extent of that? Like would it smell like sugar? I saw something about fruity and I reallllly don't think it smells fruity and trust me everytime I've went the the bathroom I've tried to de code the smell and I can't. Like I said it just smells like pee (not that I'm an expert on pee haha) so now I feel paranoid honestly like is anxiety making me hyper aware of my pee smell or does it actually? When I looked up if pee has a smell it said not usually or it varies. I will try to give it a few days but I feel like I e been smelling the before (although I didn't may no mind) for at least a week or so.. but the last couple of weeks I know I've made things where I put a lot of garlic powder or ate Italian type foods. And again I wonder how long something like that would take to get out of your system.. the garlic. Gees I almost feel like I'm going a tad crazy over analyzing my pee smell and trying to figure out if it's a sweet smell or really bad.
Oh and Tracey.. yea I definitely haven't felt like that.. and I read about that being a type 1 symptoms. Guess it doesn't rule out type 2 and I really don't think I'm that fat... my bfs mom and gram are definitely overweight and I'm not like them.. do I wish I was skinner? Sure of course but I wouldn't say I'm fat no matter how self conscious I am.. I feel average. I asked my mom and she didn't take it seriously at all.

CHANDTIP
25-10-16, 05:51
Give it a few days ...some food intake definitely casuses it

Savvy_Darling
25-10-16, 10:23
Okay :( thanks for all replies.

Phuzella
25-10-16, 12:29
Pee is just one of our body's by products. Sometimes it smells different to other times. It shouldn't be totally clear either, it should be light yellow /straw coloured so don't go too mad on the water drinking :).
Forgive me if that's been mentioned before, I've not read through the whole thread.

Savvy_Darling
25-10-16, 13:02
Phuzella yeah I know haha clear means I should cut back. It said you should drink half your weight in fluid ounces so for me that's about 4 and s half 16.9 fl oz water bottles.
And see I thought that too and that's what when I smelled this before I literally paid no mind but yesterday morning I was sent in panic mode over it and googled. It says pee usually doesn't have a smell or varies which worries me. And I thought now I'm paranoid about it and I can't stop seeing if it smells.. which is most definitely annoying. /: