PDA

View Full Version : Low sodium and potassium levels.

Bonnibelle
25-10-16, 22:44
I had a blood test last week. All came back with good news, I had to have 5 tubes and 12 different tests. I've even ill all year with an underactive thyroid so my gp wanted to rule a lot out. All ok other than my potassium and sodium being marked low and I have to book in with the gp.

My sodium is 129 mmol (range is 133-146) and potassium onlying just out of range at 3.4 (range 3.5-5.3).

I'm speaking to my gp Tuesday as he has a 4 week wait to see him. I'm worried as I know it can be linked to some horrible things and early death, fits etc... I'm not go ogling I just know too much from when I used to work on a renal ward years ago.

Has anyone experienced this and was it nothing to worry about? I eat a good diet, I have pink salt in my cooking, I eat a banana or 2 a day for potassium.

Thank you.
B

Becks2002
06-08-21, 19:54
Hi what happened to your sodium and potassium levels in the end. I have had a reading of 132 for sodium and even though the doctor said it’s fine and to drink less water and more sodium I’m so worried x

Careful1
07-08-21, 00:18
This post is from 2016 and so you may or may not get a response from the OP. It looks like they haven’t posted in a really long time.

For my lab the range for sodium is 133-146 and so 132 is just one point under normal. Not everyone is gonna fit perfectly within the ranges set for lab tests not to mention ones blood levels are fluctuating constantly. This is why doctors don’t get worked up over most slightly abnormal lab results and always have abnormal results repeated.

Potassium is strictly regulated by the body. Men should get around 3,400 mgs per day and women should get around 2,600 mgs of potassium per day. If your potassium is low try adding more potassium rich foods to your diet but don’t over do it and don’t start a potassium supplement unless your doctor advises you to do so because potassium that is too low can be a problem but so can potassium that is too high.
As far as low sodium goes, do you drink a lot of water? Drinking too much water can dilute the sodium in your bloodstream. You can try drinking a sports drink here and there as they contain essential electrolytes or even a flavored water like I drink that has all the same electrolytes in it with less sugar then sports drinks do.

Try not to worry yourself sick though. I drink a lot of water and so my sodium is always on the low side. 132 is just barley out of normal range and I bet the next time it’s tested it will be normal.