PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys!

Healthanxiouskitty
25-10-16, 23:49
I posted this on a different health anxiety forum, only to realize after that it's barely used so I'll more than likely be talking to myself over there :weep:

Hi guys! I'm new here, obviously lol. Never knew there were forums specifically for health anxiety, this is great!

I've been health conscious ever since I can remember. Recently it has become worse as I have other medical problems and I think it just triggered me to become OBSESSED and always think I'm sick and dying.

I'm very young, 25 years old and have had my share of health problems. In 2013 I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, at two different times (close together) I had severe pancreatitis, and recently they found I have a breast tumor, thankfully benign. And because of these things, it has made my mind think something as serious as those things areally always wrong with me. I fear when I get a headache, that I have a tumor; when my back hurts I fear my kidneys are failing. My mind never let's me think it's something simple.

Thinking about seeking help for this as I am tired of always feeling doomed or like I'm dying. Everyday I feel like this, when I should be enjoying life I'm worrying that the random pain I feel means I'm dying. Family doesn't really understand, they think I look for reasons to be sick. My loving boyfriend tries to understand but sometimes he'll say things like "just stop thinking like that" and he doesn't seem to understand that if I could stop those thoughts I would. He always tries to talk me out of my panics though and he's always there to listen even if I wake him up at 3 am because I can't sleep and my mind is thinking the worst, so for that I am grateful. Just wish there was a magic pill I could take and never worry again. So frustrating!

Just here to talk to others who understand.

SLA
27-10-16, 12:45
My mind never let's me think it's something simple.

Because you always choose to accept what your mind is throwing at you. You know that it is mostly likely something simple, and a fact of life.

Headache and backache are two immensly common things. Rather than accepting the worrying thought that it is life-threateningly serious, why not choose to ignore it, and accept what you WANT to think.

Just wish there was a magic pill I could take and never worry again.

You're wishing for the wrong thing.

How about wishing for a mindset that means you no longer have to worry about the health fears you are having?

Thats far easier, and actually achievable! :D

One thing I always suggest is working on sleep/diet/exercise first, because all of these things contribute to heightened anxiety. Once you anxiety is reduced, and your energy increases, it is much easier to rationalise your thoughts.