PDA

View Full Version : Reassuring all you melanoma worriers

Leah88
26-10-16, 09:02
Hi guys,
I read a lot of posts on here about melanomas. I'd like to help you all with your worries. I am a born and bred Australian. ( melanoma capital of the world) I have watched people very close to me die from the disease. I have seen ( with my own eyes) 6 different types of melanoma. Here is why I don't think any of you are at high risk.

You live in the U.K. ( a full day in your sun is worth 10 minutes in mine) I have Irish heritage and have blue eyes and pale skin. I have spent most weekends in the surf since I was a toddler and have been burnt many times. So have most people I know. Being the melanoma capital of the world, having one is still not that common for us Aussies. I work in a hospital and for every 100 benign lesions I see get cut out there is about 1 melanoma. I have been through the melanoma worry, making doctors look through their dermo specs but I can tell you now with the amount of people walking around my country half naked all year round - and most of us don't have melanomas ( your risk is almost nil), that is if you are under 60. Of course age is always a factor for cancer. I'm not suggesting that you should not get a professional opinion if you are worried, but just put things in perspective. Most Aussies are 3rd or 4th gen English so it's not as if we have evolved to suit our harsh sun. It's not impossible that you English folk won't get a melanoma but it's just very unlikely in your climate. We are taught to be super vigilant about this type of cancer because it has such a modifiable risk factor, especially when you are young.
Just thought this might help. Now I'll go back to worrying about having Werner syndrome ;)