PDA

View Full Version : Keep feeling like can't breathe!

Katiewest
26-10-16, 14:44
I keep getting really breathless :'( I'm on 20mg of citalopram! Help.

Revan
26-10-16, 15:17
This is how I started, I had a deviated septum and closed sinuses. I had a panic attack laying in bed and not being able to inhale. It was horrible as the time after I was constantly out of breathe and feeling like I was struggling to breathe.

Ofcourse it wasn't and it was just anxiety making my chest tight and breathing shallow.

Id highly recommend deep breathing, I was taught to inhale on counts of 1 to 10 and back down and on exhale think relax. It works a treat, may take some time to learn though.

It wont last, trust me, its just very unpleasant at the moment.

Ronan23
26-10-16, 16:17
How long are you on the meds for? SSRIs are notorious for temporarily increasing anxiety. I'd ask a doctor for a PRN subscription of a benzodiazepine to get you through the first couple of weeks.

Katiewest
26-10-16, 21:54
I have been on them for 6 months, but stopped taking them cold turkey 1 month ago. I have had withdrawal symptoms since so I'm back and them. Been back on them for 2/3 weeks & I feel so rubbish. I feel like I can't even swallow properly. I've tried breathing techniques & everything. It's really annoying me because I have a 9 month old baby and I can't go out anywhere because I can't breathe :( xx