PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Serotonin Syndrome... HELP.

Myranda
26-10-16, 19:08
I just started taking Zoloft about a week ago (50mg). I take it once a day around 8:00-9:00pm.
I get super bad migraines around my time of the month and my doctor also prescribed me Maxalt (10mg.)

I got a migraine last night around 4:00am and took half a Maxalt and the other half around 5:00am... however I read that you're not supposed to take the two together because it increases your risk of serotonin syndrome...

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm really freaking out...
I think I feel fine other than the anxiety about all of this..

Phuzella
26-10-16, 19:11
Have a word with your doctor?

Myranda
26-10-16, 19:12
I'm awaiting a phone call right now...

Phuzella
26-10-16, 19:12
OK :)

ServerError
26-10-16, 19:18
The two drugs do interact, which I know is a scary thought, but they are also prescribed together if a doctor feels the benefits outweigh the risks. Seratonin syndrome is pretty rare, and severe symptoms are especially rare. So you''ll probably be fine.

Let us know what the phone call's outcome is.

Myranda
26-10-16, 19:26
They called back and said that there are no interactions to be noted... which doesn't make sense to me...
I called a couple pharmacies and they said that they could interact but since I was on low doses of both of the medications that I should be fine. They said I would probably know if I was experiencing any sort of serotonin syndrome.

ServerError
26-10-16, 19:58
Basically, you have nothing to worry about.

MyNameIsTerry
27-10-16, 05:15
Your doctor needs to reconsider how they check things, there is a Major interaction recorded between them on Drugs.com. That site is for professionals as well as consumers. Sadly, this can be the case with our GP's in the UK and asking a pharmacist is always best when it comes to drugs.

However, to put this into some perspective for you - the same Major interaction is recorded between many antidepressants yet when we switch we using cross taper or start/stop which causes an overlap between the drugs. Doctors are expected to manage that overlap and monitor for any Serotonin Syndrome. There are tons of switching threads on this forum and I've read hundreds and I can say I've only come across 1-2 cases of Serotonin Syndrome AND they were both very mild.

I would suggest seeing the doctor about further use of that med with your SSRI just so they are aware you are combining and how they would prefer you use it or if they want to switch to something else to get around it.