PDA

View Full Version : Snowballing thoughts

bananarbabe
02-04-07, 13:30
Does anyone out there also have problems with thoughts about something snowballing into something much bigger? Such as I forgot to send an email now Im going to get fired or something like that? I've been having a lot of trouble lately with that and its been incredibly difficult on me. I would love to hear about what others do to cope with it.

Thanks!

Elle
02-04-07, 13:55
Hi

I think this is very common and I do it too. I believe it's called catastrophising and many people with anxiety do it. In some of us, negative thoughts can just run amok and turn into a monster. Tell someone else about this thought and they can't believe that we could actually come up with something so absurd. Everything gets out of proportion and it has the potential to really upset our lives.

It's all about seeing the worst case scenario and believing that it's bound to happen just because we had the thought. It's like some people always believe what they read in print.

Well, just having the thought won't make it so. Also, since we created the thought then we can send it packing.

Snowballing is the right word. A little ball of snow rolls down the mountainside and more and more snow sticks to it until it becomes as big as a house. But we have to understand that it's us heaping on the extra layers of snow. It's all generated in our minds. That being the case, we should have the power to stop it. We hope!

honeybee3939
02-04-07, 16:41
Hi

I am the same, i always make mountains out of mole-hills, i wish i could stop worrying.
My husband was late home from work only last week and i was in such a state. His mobile was flat so i couldnt ring him.
The thoughts that went through my head, i had visions of the police turning up to tell me he had been in a road accident. I had made myself worry so much i felt physically sick.
To my relief he was fine just stuck in traffic.
I tend to worry alot when im at home, i think i need to get out more !lol

Love

Andrea
xxxx

ailsajayne26
03-04-07, 13:14
Totally the same.... tiny thought pops into my head and thats it... Bam... major stress with the worst posible outcome :) really need to get that under control!!!!

Serena
03-04-07, 13:47
:) I found that CBT helped a lot with that. I do it all the time but for a long time I wasn't even aware of the thoughts until I was completely overwhelmed. I think some of them are subconscious.
:hugs: