PDA

View Full Version : My colonoscopy and prep thread.......

Pepperpot
27-10-16, 17:16
Hi all.
As some of you may be aware, I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow. I wanted to create a thread which goes through my prep and the procedure, in case it helps anyone. I am not sorry in advance for "tmi" - it is a bowel thread, so if you are offended, then don't read any more!Also, feel free to ask anything you like.

So, a little bit of background info......

For a few years I have had blood with bowel movements. Last June, I went for a flexible sigmoidoscopy where they diagnosed hemorrhoids (piles), but was I was passing clots, the doctor wanted me to have a colonoscopy a few weeks later. I found the sigmoidoscopy so bad that I refused to go back. I would also just like to add that at this point, anxiety/health anxiety/panic attacks weren't a part of my life.

So, this year, I have had bleeding with and instead of bowel movements (although I haven't actually bled for a good couple of months now apart from when I had the runs), and my bowel movements have altered, and I was actually in hospital with abdominal pains. The doctors decided to go down the gynaecology route instead of the bowel route. However, I went back to my GP and she did a stool sample test for calprotectin, as well as sending off a referral for a CT colonoscopy, as I had explained I couldn't possibly go through a normal one. The calprotectin levels in my poo were over 300 - normal is less than 50. So, I went to my pre-assessment a bag of nerves, and the nurse was less than helpful. She didn't know the answers to my questions, and also she said that if I wanted a CT colonoscopy then I would have to go back through the referral system via the GP again. I chose not to. So, here I am :)

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Right. I have to be on the endoscopy unit at 10am tomorrow. So I was told to have my breakfast before 9am today (I had a white breadbun with a couple of quorn sausages in). The prep I am going to be taking is Moviprep. It says you don't need to follow a low fibre diet beforehand.

It is now 4.45pm. I am starving. I normally don't eat a great deal durung the day, but I think cos I know I can't eat anything that I am hungry. I think I have had a couple of glasses of juice during the afternoon.

5pm
Made up my first litre batch of Moviprep, and also about 700ml of juice to drink aswell. It says to drink an additional 500ml of liquids as to not become dehydrated. The litre of stuff will be about 3 glasses I think. Anyway, 15m later and I am onto my 2nd glass. It tastes of lemon/lime and tastes a bit chalky. In fact, if you have ever tried Movicol, it tastes like that. I feel a bit panicky as I have stupidly read the side effects.

5.40pm
Yuk. Onto my 3rd glass. There is still another one after this. I have stomach pains but I don't think they're poo pains lol. I think it is from sitting all day on the settee, working on my laptop. This prep is so tedious and is making me feel a bit sick. I will push on!!!

6pm
I am chewing this last glass....

6.20pm
They say drink the prep over 1-2hrs - I have done it in 1hr20m. Just waiting for the urge now. My belly sounds like the drains so it hopefully shouldn't be too long. I feel so bloated!!!

7pm
2 hours after I started the prep I had to go to the loo. I had stomach cramps for about 20 mins beforehand. It is the most peculiar feeling as it is just like going for a wee back to front!! Luckily we have two toilets and I've forewarned Mr Pepperpot and the kids that they will have to use the upstairs loo!!!

9.30pm
It hasn't been too bad. Two trips to the loo. I have just made up my last litre of Moviprep and I am on my first glass and I am totally struggling with it. God knows how I am going to drink all this.

10.20pm
This is just awful. Everytime I take a sip I gag/retch. I have one glass left. And a bottle of water to drink

10.45pm
Drank it. That was a horrible experience. I feel so bloated and sick now but the water is going down quite nicely.

11.20pm
Going to the loo, but not urgently. It's not sore (yet). It's also not clear. I am sure I read it should be clearish? Oh well, nothing I can really do about that

Carnation
27-10-16, 17:29
Wishing you luck for tomorrow Pepperpot. x

Kathryn313
27-10-16, 17:43
Another day, another bowel prep thread! We can compare noted with Kaye experiences :)

Keep going, it will soon be done with. Very best of luck!! Xx

Pepperpot
28-10-16, 08:22
Morning. Today is the colonoscopy. It's 8.20am and I've been on the loo again, but it's definitely not clear. I'm really nervous that I have another episode like I did during the sigmoidoscopy.

Carnation
28-10-16, 08:36
Will be thinking of you today Pepperpot. x

pulisa
28-10-16, 08:41
Moviprep is strong stuff and will have cleared you out to the caecum so that there will be a clear view of your entire bowel.

Good luck today-it's not pleasant but at least you'll get some answers

Kathryn313
28-10-16, 09:45
All being well it will be done with by now. Hope it went well.

Best wishes.

Pepperpot
28-10-16, 13:03
All being well it will be done with by now. Hope it went well.

Best wishes.

No I'm sat waiting and crying cos I'm so nervous :(
Not scared of pain. Scared of them hitting a nerve like last time and passing out.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Right.
I'm in recovery. The nurses were so nice. I had sedation and I could feel them poking about inside but there was no pain whatsoever. They took me in the room, sedated me which felt like I'd had a couple of glasses of wine. They put the scope in which I barely felt, then after a little while she asked me to lie on my back and take a few deep breaths. It took 20mins and I honesty can say it was a breeze. I feel daft for worrying. The sedation is ace. Makes you feel like you've had a couple of glasses of wine. The worst part now is the stomach cramps while trying to poop out the air they've pumped in lol. My colonoscopy was normal but they've took a few random biopsies to check for anything like infection. I asked about the raised calprotectin and she said sometimes it can be a false positive. I've even got some pictures of the inside of my bowel haha.

1pm
The stomach cramps are horrific. I'm in agony. I felt like I couldn't release wind on the ward as they put another lady next to me who was about to go in and the nurses kept coming in and out. I've also been sick.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 ----------

Thanks everyone for your well wishes xx

Carnation
28-10-16, 15:21
:bighug1: Well done Pepperpot for getting through today. x

Kathryn313
28-10-16, 16:48
Good news! Not about the cramps.

Pepperpot
29-10-16, 01:01
Thanks guys. Cramps are horrid. I went to bed when I got in for half and hour and felt able to pass wind in the comfort of my own home, so I felt better. Went for a walk with the dogs and my daughter and ordered a takeaway for tea as I was famished!! Unfortunately, it's went straight through me and is all liquid now. X

dally
29-10-16, 05:49
Well done for going through that. Do get ibs diarrhoea and know that one day I will need to get a colonoscopy. So it was good to follow your story.

I hope you've passed most of the wind by now. Certainly passage of time eating and moving about will help with that.

Carnation
29-10-16, 09:15
Hope you are back to normal today Pepperpot, what ever that is? x :hugs:

pulisa
29-10-16, 09:30
Sometimes having a colonoscopy makes things better as you've had a "free" colonic irrigation and a good old clear out. That's what I was told anyway. Not my favourite way of spending the day...

Pepperpot
29-10-16, 17:23
Well guys I feel spot on today. Had a sandwich and haven't been to the loo so that's got to be a good sign. I haven't had an alcoholic drink for weeks now so I've decided I'm going to put some make up on, heels on, and go out with my friend. I will be testing a glass of wine in about an hour for research purposes though as I can't be running to the loo all night in these heels!!! X