PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take Medication

toffeeee
27-10-16, 19:20
I'm not sure if this is the right place for my post. I am scared of taking medication. I have to take 500mg amoxicillin 3 times a day and I am so scared of having bad reaction. I've taken 1 and my neck feels hot and itchy, probably just anxiety but scares me non the less. Anyone else the same as me? Has anyone else taken the same dose as this and been ok? If I was going to react would it have happened by now? TIA

KeeKee
27-10-16, 19:34
I've had an allergic reaction to Penicillin in the past. It has made me scared of taking new medicines.

Most people will be OK with this medicine, I don't think you have any reason to worry and yes anxiety can certainly make things seem worse, I always imagine tingling or swollen lips when I take a new medicine.

toffeeee
27-10-16, 20:06
Thanks for replying. Was your reaction immediate or did you take a couple of tablets?

skymaid
27-10-16, 20:11
if youve had penicillin in the past and been fine you should be fine this time.

KeeKee
27-10-16, 20:21
My reaction was after a few tablets but that doesn't mean you will get one though. Loads of people I know have been given Penicillin for tooth, ear and throat infections and all been fine, including my partner and daughter.

I had penicillin as a child and was fine, a reaction can happen at any time.

If I remember correctly severe reactions usually occurs within an hour of taking the allergen. My reaction was horrible but not life threatening (not anaphylaxis).