PDA

View Full Version : should I have a operation

cheeky monkey
02-04-07, 15:05
Hi
Well this week I have received to letters from surgeons, I have to see a knee one at the end of may as I have been having trouble with my right knee giving way and locking I do have arthritis in it, but it also seems to be effecting my right hip as it hurts to move and get up I also cant lift my leg up much even putting on socks is hard then my ankle this week has been swelling up. so I may have to have an op on that, but I am worried about the swelling on my ankle as after the last op on my knee I got a blood clot.
But the op Im not too sure about is on my tummy again I have to see the surgeon on 29th may, I have a couple of problems with my stomach I have reflux and immflammation of the osapagus (dont know how to spell it) and after recent tests I also have a hiatus hernia which is playing up, I have a lot of pain with this and sickness and Im also on alot of pills, my doc said there is an operation you can have to put it right which will leave me pain free and off the pills But she said that because of my diabetes and other problems I would be a high risk as it is a big operation as they open you right up so Im not sure what to do?
I would welcome any advice or if anyone has gone through that op? I thought they did it by keyhole but my doc says you are opened up from chest to tummy button.
many thanks
susie:hugs:

Piglet
02-04-07, 16:25
Susie I can't really comment as I know nothing at all about this sort of operation hun but I wanted to give you a hug while you are gaining all the necessary information and facts.

(((Susie)))

Best wishes

Piglet :flowers:

neptuno
03-04-07, 11:20
Hello !
Yep ! I can tell you all about this op for hiatus hernia - I had it done quite a while ago. It is a big op but it can be done through key-hole nowadays so its worth asking.

I still get oesophageal reflux but not the chest pain and I'm still taking Nexium. I was off work about 3 months - you have to take the time to heal properly. The first couple of weeks after the op I had to eat "sloppy" food (i.e. push everything through the blender). Not very appetising as everthing looks like a cow pat !!!!

Talk it through with your consultant. Get all the facts before you decide. I can only say the relief for me was immediate and immense - but it wasn't a cure-all.

cheeky monkey
03-04-07, 19:25
Hi Piglet and neptuno
Thankyou for the hug piglet they are always welcome sending one back to you :hugs:

Thanks Neptuno I think deep down I want the op done as it is the pain that gets me down and being sick a lot. my doc had put me off abit but then do docs know everything. I think the recovery will be the problem as I had a op that should of only taken a couple o weeks to recover but it took me 3months as the wound would not close up I had to have it packed every day. Do they close the wound on this op?
anyway thanks for the advice I see the doc on the 29th of may so Ive got a few weeks to decided.
take care
susie
x :hugs: