PDA

View Full Version : Tired/aching arms

SmithsFan
28-10-16, 15:22
I've been having a good few weeks in terms of symptoms and anxiety.

One thing that is getting worse are my tired arms though. I first noticed this several months ago. I would be shaving and my upper arm would feel tired, like it had had a proper workout. This started happening when I was brushing my teeth and doing anything that involved lifting my arms. My left is now as bad as my right and the tiredness seems to have spread into the shoulders and I get a numb ache in my arms as well. It no longer only happens when I'm working the arms either. I can be sitting at my desk at work or on the sofa and my arms feels tired.

Any ideas? Initially I thought it may be my sleep position because I lie with my arms underneath my pillow but I've tried changing this and all that's happened is that I've got less sleep.

Full disclosure: I have googled but am trying to stay off it.

Katiewest
28-10-16, 15:46
I get this everytime I get anxious! I think you will find its just down to anxiety? Try not to worry about it! You can always see a doctor if it makes you more reassured.

SmithsFan
28-10-16, 20:26
I get this everytime I get anxious! I think you will find its just down to anxiety? Try not to worry about it! You can always see a doctor if it makes you more reassured.

Hi katie,

I am trying not to run to the doctor with every symptom. I did at one point think it was a side-effect of Prozac but I stopped taking that and I'm still getting it. Need to get back into my "just because I don't feel particularly anxious it doesn't mean anxiety isn't affecting me" mindset.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Should also say that I've put on about 15lbs in the past year so don't know if that can be having an effect

SmithsFan
30-10-16, 14:09
Just giving this a bump in case anyone who hasn't seen this yet has any insight

Imasnamkcih
01-11-16, 00:05
I have the same problem and people keep telling me its the anxiety...i have aching hands also and muscle twitching in my hands and arms...they just seem so heavy all the time!

SmithsFan
01-11-16, 19:36
I have the same problem and people keep telling me its the anxiety...i have aching hands also and muscle twitching in my hands and arms...they just seem so heavy all the time!

It's horrible isn't it? I had to stop eating my dinner tonight and had to wait until my arm recovered before I could pick up my fork again

Jem21
02-11-16, 20:31
I get this and I put it down to tension. Sometimes even when not overly anxious we can still be tense and neck muscles can affect arms and fingers. When I'm stressed I tense my jaw and I don't know I'm doing it till my arms ache.

SmithsFan
10-11-16, 15:03
I was grinding my teeth in my sleep with tension for a while. Seems like it is all related.

TimetoTurn
10-11-16, 15:09
Hey there, muscle fatigue happens when you're tense a lot -and definately a symptom of anxiety! I actually have it to extremes where my muscles shake when I use them, but I have also been getting the achey feeling in my arms lately and have loads of anxiety lately.

Traveller31
10-11-16, 16:11
Hello. I've had these same symptoms on and off for a few weeks now - aching, tiredness and unusual sensations in one or both arms or legs. Initially thought it was a reaction to some travel vaccines I had recently (and it might be) but after a couple of visits to the doctor and some clear blood tests, it seems likely to be driven - or at least worsened - by stress and anxiety. I had a stressful day at work yesterday and could almost feel the aching in my arms start on cue! I know it's really difficult to stop focusing on symptoms as strange and concerning as this, but I'm trying to make a mental note of what I think triggers a flare-up and trying to relax - physically and mentally - as much as possible. Take it easy and hopefully the aching will fade with the tension.

TimetoTurn
10-11-16, 19:54
Sounds like a good idea. To be honest I have noticed how much weaker I feel during a panic attack as opposed to general anxiety so I think you're right, the symptoms are directly connected, even though they carry on AFTER the stress passes!

SmithsFan
10-11-16, 22:12
I've felt completely exhausted the past week and have been aching all over. Work's been intense and house renovations have been stressful so I think a combination of that, recent colds and stomach bugs and the general hard work of having a young son has left me feeling run down.

Weirdly though,my arms have probably been better in that time. Makes me wonder if it's my HA shifting to focus on something else.