PDA

View Full Version : Convinced myself I have ovarian cancer!

GirlAfraid23
28-10-16, 21:46
I've got a dull ache/pulling, occasional sharp stab in my left ovary. It's also slightly in my upper thigh and sometimes down my leg.
I've had this for a few days now. I was late for my period by 5 days and eventually came on it yesterday. I feel massively bloated, which I know is kind of normal when on your period but it's worse than normal. I'm so uncomfortable after eating anything and I feel like I'm going to be sick. I literally feel as though there's something huge in my abdomen and its pushing everything upwards. I'm scared it's been there for ages and is now too advanced. I have had left sided pains during ovulation for quite a while now...I wish I hadn't ignored it. Also pain in my leg and back including sciatica. I'm scared there is a massive tumour in my left ovary.
I have a lot of gas, acid reflux, burping, pain and pressure. I also had some mid cycle bleeding this month (unusual for me).
I'm petrified! I thought it was rare in young women but everything I've seen online is around the 20-30 mark! I am 27. I haven't had any children yet but I want them (another reason I'm scared) and there is zero ovarian cancer in my family history. Actually there has been no cancer that I'm aware of, apart from lung which was caused by smoking in my grandad and uncle. But I know it can still happen.

Oh and I recently (a few months ago) I had a full blood count and liver/kidney blood test plus thyroid which all came back clear. If I had cancer (especially advanced) would it have shown up as white blood cell count higher than usual?

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Even if it's a 'stop being so ridiculous' I just need something tonight.

I hate, hate, hate health anxiety.
I've been seeing my new therapist and she's helping me a lot, but it's hard to keep what she says in perspective when I'm having a massive flare up like this. I'm so full of panic, I feel lightheaded and terrified. I'm mostly afraid of operations and so even if (better case scenario) it's a cyst, I don't want to have to get it removed. I'm frightened of hospitals and all medical procedures.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:13 ----------

I'm sorry, I wish someone would give me some support. I'm so scared tonight.

KeeKee
28-10-16, 21:51
Sorry you are feeling this way and this is the fear I'm currently dealing with due to lower right abdominal pain I've been getting and I'm getting it more and more frequently. I don't have much advice but honestly try not to worry what you read online is usually the worst case scenario and ovarian cancer is rare in young people even if it doesn't seem that way. I also get an ache in my right leg and the GP has told me it's muscular, however I didn't mentioned my stomach pains (I get lots of strange pains so feel embarrassed mentioning them all to him) and wonder if he would have said the same had I mentioned them.

ServerError
28-10-16, 22:01
I know I don't have ovaries (really, it's true) but I went to the doctor earlier this year with stabbing pains in my abdomen and groin. At times, it felt focused on one of my testes. I dealt fairly rationally with it but decided to get it checked out. Obviously testicular cancer was in the back of my mind.

My doctor blamed it on anxiety and told me to take paracetamol. Here I am, still alive, and pain free. As I say, I know it's not quite the same as I lack the organ causing you concern, but I'm sure you can see the similarity as well.

GirlAfraid23
28-10-16, 22:12
Thank you both for replying, it does help to know I'm not alone!

If I had cancer would it show up on a full blood count blood test?

I just wish I could wake up tomorrow and feel back to normal and no pain...I hate the feeling that something is going on that I can't control.

Ceri78
28-10-16, 22:22
Cancer and anything sinister would show up in your white cell count aka full blood,if anything it sounds like a normal ovarian cyst to me... mine are covered thanks to pcos! And do get extremely painful,takecare xx

GirlAfraid23
28-10-16, 22:25
Cancer and anything sinister would show up in your white cell count aka full blood,if anything it sounds like a normal ovarian cyst to me... mine are covered thanks to pcos! And do get extremely painful,takecare xx

Thank you for your reply.

That's reassuring, although the blood tests were a few months ago.
What is the treatment for cysts if you don't mind me asking and what are the chances of me getting pregnant? (in the future)

GirlAfraid23
29-10-16, 16:50
Feeling really bad today. Pain in hip/pelvis and groin. Seems to be there constantly. Had sex with my partner earlier and had pelvic pain during and after :weep:
It almost feels like a pinching or pulling in the soft area of my groin/pelvic region.

The pain was bad when having a bowel movement today. I'm so terrified of cancer, all types, but especially ovarian, I've always been scared of this disease, for as long as I can remember...the low survival rates and silent killer has always made me so anxious.

I keep getting indigestion too, burping and feeling full.
I'm going back to work on Monday and I don't know how I will cope!

P.s. Just to add, it hurts when walking or stretching too...

Kathryn313
29-10-16, 17:19
No one can diagnose you here with cysts ect. Our own symptoms may all be due to different things or nothing at all. Are you planning to talk this through with your GP?

GirlAfraid23
29-10-16, 17:30
No one can diagnose you here with cysts ect. Our own symptoms may all be due to different things or nothing at all. Are you planning to talk this through with your GP?

Yes but I'm scared as usual.

Mercime
29-10-16, 18:28
GA (still think you should change that name!), what are you doing to tackle this fears? You've had them for such a long time..

katyfitz
29-10-16, 18:32
Hey I feel the same as you. If you need to talk just pm me x

GirlAfraid23
29-10-16, 18:45
GA (still think you should change that name!), what are you doing to tackle this fears? You've had them for such a long time..

Why do I need to change my name? It's one of my favourite smiths songs.

I have had them for a long time, unfortunately anxiety is one of those things that never truly leaves. I'm seeing a therapist and I'm on the waiting list for a community mental health assessment...still haven't heard back as it's the NHS...

I've managed to conquer my fears in the past and I'm proud of that but occasionally I get a symptom like this which I can't shake and then I think 'why can't I get ill just because I've got health anxiety?'

unsure_about_this
29-10-16, 20:48
No idea since I am a male, but when I had abdominal pains 3-4 years ago I thought it was eithe bowel, pancreatic, kidney, stomach etc. cancer

I know it hard but try and not look for these articles about people with cancer, yes it does happen sadly for this age group, but it is rare for the type of cancer you are worry about having in this thread.

Mercime
29-10-16, 21:00
Why do I need to change my name? It's one of my favourite smiths songs.

I have had them for a long time, unfortunately anxiety is one of those things that never truly leaves. I'm seeing a therapist and I'm on the waiting list for a community mental health assessment...still haven't heard back as it's the NHS...

I've managed to conquer my fears in the past and I'm proud of that but occasionally I get a symptom like this which I can't shake and then I think 'why can't I get ill just because I've got health anxiety?'

Apologies, I didn't realise it was a song, rather just a negative description. Yes, I know anxiety never leaves, I have anxiety myself. I live with it as best as I can, as most of us do. I do try and avoid things I know will trigger me though.

I hope you get the resolution you're looking for.

GirlAfraid23
30-10-16, 09:57
Pelvic pain still there today...and it travels down my legs too.
I woke up in the night and was laying on that side and it hurt! I've not been doing very well, I keep crying, feel exhausted and drained. I've been sleeping but my dreams are vivid and horrible.
I've been looking up cancer symptoms and forums, driving myself insane plus the pain hurts and it's irritating and uncomfortable. I don't want to rely on ibuprofen.
I'm scared I've had it for a while and it's spread to my bowels, other pelvic organs, back etc as I have lower back pain also. I've had pain in this left side for quite some time, but different from this pain. This is like a pinching and aching, sometimes sharp but the pinching pain is really uncomfortable.
Does anyone know what it might sound like?

KeeKee
30-10-16, 10:05
Perhaps a trapped nerve? As I've already mentioned I too am dealing with this fear now and like you my pain is very persistent. I also get lower back and leg ache but I did mention those and was told they would be muscular, however I've yet to mention my lower stomach pain which like you is sometimes aching and sometimes sharp, mine also feels like cramping at times too. I also get a sharp pain around pelvic bone that feels as though it's right in the bone.

However a couple of years ago i did have a mid stomach pain that lasted months. It was on and off yet would sometimes wake me during the night. It was a sharp, burning pain. Soon after I mentioned it to the GP it went and hasn't been back since so I'm hoping this too could be nothing and so could yours.

lily1
30-10-16, 14:36
Hi,

IBS can cause these symptoms and I get sharp pains in my pelvic area. I had an internal scan and I didn't have cysts or anything.
OC is rare.
For your piece of mind I would suggest going to see your GP and explain your symptoms, and they will make sure everything is ok instead of you worrying like this.

Xx

Kathryn313
30-10-16, 16:02
Sounds very similar to my experience of PCOS but then the sensations could map to a number of conditions.

Only way to be sure is see your GP, see if they are willing to do a TV ultrasound and go from there.

Best wishes.