PDA

View Full Version : Panicking only at home.

JosieLouise
29-10-16, 21:45
Most of the time I feel like I'm in a constant state of mild to moderate anxiety... and of course this gets worse when anticipating something that may be a trigger.

But apart from that, my panic soars really only when I'm at home, in the evening. Which is ironic, because as a huge introvert, home is really the only place a feel completely comfortable. I can be sitting watching TV and my heart's racing, or I'm in bed and I feel like I can't control my breathing. It lasts an hour or two and sometimes disrupts my sleep. Right now I'm completely alone and my arms feel weak, I can feel my heart pounding and there's butterflies in my chest and stomach.

I wouldn't say they're 'panic attacks' as such (I've had a few of them and they felt very different) but just a rush of adrenaline as soon as I try to slow down for the evening. Anyone relate?

SLA
29-10-16, 21:53
Hi Josie, sorry to hear your going through a rough patch.

What things do you anticipate that could be a trigger?

Do you eat well/drink well etc?? Drink much caffeine?

Jason

JosieLouise
29-10-16, 22:11
Hi Josie, sorry to hear your going through a rough patch.

What things do you anticipate that could be a trigger?

Do you eat well/drink well etc?? Drink much caffeine?

Jason

I could probably cut my caffeine a bit, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. And I do tend to stress-eat so my diet is pretty appalling at the moment.

I have recently had a death in the family, but these 'attacks' have been happening several times a week long before that. The only trigger I can identify is that when my brain isn't busy (errands, work, driving) and it tries to relax, it can't, hence why I normally only feel bad at home. GAD kicks in even if I'm not always realising it.

Sometimes I'm balancing on the edge of a panic attack for hours and I sort of wish I would just panic already so it will go away!!

ana
30-10-16, 07:32
Because of an anxiety inducing dynamic between a patent and I,I also feel highly anxious at home which is ironic because I'm agoraphobic! Recently,I've come to realise that feeling anxiety at home is a good thing as it shows me that the outside is not threatening and that home is not where I should be. My anxiety is also triggered by being alone,and I struggle with evenings too. Perhaps you can look at what you can do (go out?) when anxiety strikes again

NoraB
30-10-16, 08:31
I could probably cut my caffeine a bit, but I wouldn't say it's excessive. And I do tend to stress-eat so my diet is pretty appalling at the moment.

I have recently had a death in the family, but these 'attacks' have been happening several times a week long before that. The only trigger I can identify is that when my brain isn't busy (errands, work, driving) and it tries to relax, it can't, hence why I normally only feel bad at home. GAD kicks in even if I'm not always realising it.

Sometimes I'm balancing on the edge of a panic attack for hours and I sort of wish I would just panic already so it will go away!!

I'd say there is a definite link between how food/drink can improve or worsen anxiety symptoms. Cut out the caffeine if you can. Cut down on sugar and salt. My symptoms have gone through the roof recently and it's no coincidence that my diet has been poor despite me understanding the role that it plays with anxiety.:whistles:

My worst time with anxiety is at night but yesterday I ate healthily (no sugar, salt or crap in general) and I had a better night. No panic attacks!