PDA

View Full Version : please help please help

angiebaby
02-04-07, 19:09
I have suffered with ectopic beats for 11 years and over the past two years they have got worse, since i've had anxiety, PTSD and depression. However i have never experienced anything like i have today. I have managed to go to work and stay and do my job but i really don't know how i have managed it!! I woke up this morning with ?ectopics, but these felt more like a pause then a normal beat, rather than a missed beat and a catchup beat. They continued and continued and i have had them ALL day, never had this before. I have tried to catch them on an ECG but nothing, as soon as i get on the couch and connect the wires, they are still there, but when i press the record button, they stop! These have really scared me because they feel different. I can feel it really plain in my wrist pulse and it even shows up on the bp machine, but cannot catch it on an ECG. I have seen a cardiologist and had a 48 holter monitor and i was diagnosed with just sinus arrhythmia and sinus tacchycardia, normal! On the bp machine i am in normal rhythm then it will have an extra beat and a long pause. Like i say these have been going non stop all day without a break. I didn't matter what i did, sat, stood, walked, talked - still there and feeling really bad in my chest. I have had some burping and wondered if this could cause them to be so bad and constant like never before. Too scared to go to the GP incase he says i'm going into AF or something. Please reply and help me with this, i'm so scared. I am also really laid up with the flu, but i've had the flu before and i've not had this. I thought i was bad off with the ectopic beats i had before and i've only ever had as many as 25 in a day, i couldn't even count the ones today, they have been too many, must have been at least 200 throughout the day. Please someone, reassure me that i'm not the only one with this so severe and it isn't AF and i am fine, scared and waiting. Angiebaby.x

jodie
02-04-07, 19:41
hi

awwww hun please dont be scared i got p with ectopics beats today and i know they are not nice ii have had them for 8 years .
angie i have had them were they have been every other beat all day and night at the time they were like that i went to a&e and they knew i was geting them and still sent me home i know that when we get a few we start to worry over them and then that makes more happen and so on .
i bet tomoz when you get up they arnt so bad .
i know there are things like gas......a big meal ......being tired......stress .......that make them worse thats what the doc sead to me at the hospital mine are worse when i am due my monthly are you the same?
this might help you ....i was told when they are that bad to put your hands in ce cold water and splash your face with it to or try to sneeze that puts your heart back to its normal beat .
pm my anytime i know how you feel with ctopics i get them every day and they do scare me
jodie xxxx:hugs:

angiebaby
02-04-07, 22:41
I did try coughing all day, as i've got the flu anyway, this did not help. I kept going, don't know how though, but i did. Even when i was talking they were going and going and going. Didn't matter what i did, they were still happening, i have never had them this bad before and it has frighened me. I thought i was in AF for sure, it was really that irregular. They were every other beat too, all day from the moment that i opened my eyes this morning, not good at all. They have calmed down since i had some food and i had some burps! Stupid eh? Can the gas in my body really cause my heart to do that, even though i don't feel like i'm full of wind? Crazy system we have. I just hope i don't get them like that again, seriously considering of not going work tomorrow, just so scared incase it starts again.x

joolee
04-04-07, 10:11
I have had the same symptoms one day, it was on my birthday 2 years ago they were all over the place it was horrible it ruined my day i will never forget them symptoms i had with my ectopics i have never had them like that again (touch wood lol) the more we worry about them when we get them the worse they get try not to let them bother you and you will notice they will get better honest its hard i know but just perservere and it works hope you feel better soon love Julie xx

ECR
04-04-07, 12:01
Angie!

I've had three bouts of AF and believe me you can tell the diffference between ec topic beats and AF. AF is a constant fluttering not one -off ectopic beats. Even if you keep having the ectopics, AF is different.

And listen, even if it were AF, its not the end of the world. Really. Also, speaking as someone with health anxiety - not going to the doctor because you fear what he might say is a sure fire way to make yourself even more worried! I'm sure you know that anyway.

Good luck. Ectopics aren't nice but you control your life, not them!!!

ECR

angiebaby
04-04-07, 13:41
I went to the doctors last night and voiced my opinion on ?ulcer and ?hiatus hernia. He said that this could make ectopics worse, but was not convinced. He offered me a beta-blocker and i said no thankyou. He examined me and pushing on my stomach hurt, as usual, he is not convinced that i have a hiatus hernia but thinks that i do have a problem. He gave me omeprazole/losec, but i am so sensitive to med's i am too scared to take them, everything else i have taken as made me ill!! I only had 5 ectopics yesterday, but i am still burping. I just frightened me because i have NEVER had that many before in my life and they were constant, all day, every couple of seconds throughout the day!! I had 7 before i got out of bed, then they continued all day at a couple of ectopics every couple of seconds and this carried on until 6.30pm until i had some tea to eat. Really scared me after about 5 hours, but until then i was quite calm and bp was beautiful and even pulse was lovely, but very, very irregular. I could see and hear it on the bp machine and feel it in my wrist pulse.x

nell1965
04-04-07, 13:53
Hi
i get this quite a lot when my acid reflux is playing up and as you are a bit windy it sounds like it could be making it worse, all advice given previously is good solid advice, you would know if it were atrial fibrilation or an atrial flutter or an supraventricular tachycardia . I had it quite bad one day and it was most annoying, the strange thing is i dont worry about my heart despite the fact that if anything with my family history its the one thing i should worry about. However i know with a lot of people its what they worry about and i do understand the fear,but if you had something seriously wrong with your heart you would know about it and i dont mean just by feeling it beating a bit differently at times.

edwardthebear
04-04-07, 15:15
Dear Angiebaby, I can completely sympathise with what you are going through. I have had particularly bad bouts of ectopics that have been every other beat for almost two days continuous.
You say in your post that you have also been suffering from flu, I have often found that feeling ill and run down in general can often make the sensation from each ectopics so much more pronounced.
There also seems in some people to be a definite link between excess wind/bloating and the severity of the episodes, this is certainly true in my case as the worst ectopics I have experienced have nearly always been accompanied by a distended stomach and trapped wind. I have put this argument to various health professionals I have consulted over the years but the general opinion seems to be that ectopics are not really serious so they are not usually willing to discuss the causes and remedies at any length - Its a pity they are not quite so insignificant when you are suffering from them though isn’t it ?
Please try and keep your spirits up, I know it is difficult, when you have a really bad episode you tend to think that your heart will never beat normally again, but it will pass. Best wishes and take care xxx

Piglet
04-04-07, 15:22
Great advice already given so I hope you are feeling a bit less anxious about them now?

Ectopics is a bit of a thing with me too - hate them.

Love Piglet :flowers:

angiebaby
04-04-07, 22:17
Thankyou for all your great replies, i just fear them returning as bad as that again. Yesterday i only had 5 and today, so far, i've had 3. But i have not skipped breakfast for the past two days and i NEVER will again!! lol.x

looking4answers
05-04-07, 07:12
Believe it or not I have had millions of these over my lifetime,starting as a child..I didn't know what they were then but felt that everybody must feel them or it must be nothing.I really think that some of us are more prone to them especially when upset with gas on your stomach or just upset stomach..I am not really sure why they happen but can tell you that i have dealt with this for 52 years..When I was in my twenties I was hopitalized for severe dehydration,all my major organs were shutting down and well I was there in intensive care for about a month with them doing test after test after test..I had gone there with tachocardia probably caused from the dehydration.I complained of the e beats over and over until the cardiologist put me on a holter..Ok..Over a 24 hour period I experienced I know at least over 200 i pushed the alert and described what I was feeling and when they reviewed my holter..I asked about it..The cardiologist told me they couldnt find nothing wrong,no missed beats nothing.My heart does this on the average of about probably 50 times a day ,even at night time when i am trying to go to sleep i feel like a drop out in the beat..I also feel it when im standing or exherting or nervous or hungry or just eaten ..its terrible..One night we had company .. A couple..friends of ours..she is a nurse of some almost 30 years surgical nurse and head nurse at the local hospital.. she is as good or better than most doctors..Well I kept holding my pulse I had episode after episode of terrible misses and skips..horrible more horrible than all my life..She asked what was wrong and I told her my heart is skipping at least 30 beats out of 60 she said that was impossible but i sweat that night I felt that or at least perceive it.I got up and went in the bathroom and was using the bathroom and it felt as if my heart completey stopped and then with five beat beat beat beat and then ker thump started again..Well the more I had them the worse they got I was constantly holding my pulse..I guess I was nervous and hungry and had gas too..She said I wished you would stop holding your pulse and sit down and eat..I told her what if it stops she said well then Ill just restart it..I was just shocked that she was so unconcerned..But she said without exception everybodies pulse skips.. and not to worry about it.. Well needless to say she and her husband left and the skips seem to subside but for about one an hour and then the next day things seem to be ok.But that was so scarry ..I had never had that many at one time or what I perceived as that many .. But well after 52 years of many many many I guess God wants me to still be here ,for what I don't know but well if I were you if you have lived with them these many years I think that you will be still with us for many more..and that although they bother you ,know in yourh heart that you arent alone...We all have good days with few or none that we notice but other times they are rocking.. and skipping or missing or we just perceive that to be happening.i am not sure why we are aware of them I guess we are just the unlucky ones but when I was in the hospital that time and told the cardiologist my worries,he made me look at my heart on an ultrasound and said you have a strong heart and will probably out live many many people and die smoking in your rocking chair at 90..He was trying to put my mind at rest but well I can feel for you .. and its tough but I think all of us has something that bothers us as much as that does for you ..I get the samething you have mentioned here a lot and I can also hear a murmur almost constantly in my ears or in my head..So well be greatful that you don't also hear it miss as I do mine and a murmur that was discovered this year that for the most part I try not to even think about but when its pounding in your head its hard not to .. good luck and dont worry ..

angiebaby
06-04-07, 00:20
I'm a bit worried guys as i've got a gig on Sunday, which means me doing kids dances and that again. The last one i did was Saturday and we all now what happened on Monday don't we. Worried now to do the exercise again in case that had anything to do with it!
Also i forgot to mention that on Monday morning and afternoon i had a slimfast vanilla shake, wonder if that has got anything to do with it.
And could anyone tell me if they have had Omeprazole/Losec for stomach problems, i have been prescribed it and i know that i should take it to make my problems better, but i am so sensitive to anything, i am too scared to take any. Advice please.x

heidi
08-04-07, 19:31
Hi angiebaby,

I'm on omeprazole and it is great !! I have never had any side effects at all from it. It is just a pill something related to like a rolaid for acid in the tummy. Go ahead & take it ......you will be fine hun. I'm just like you when it comes to taking meds . It alwasys scares me to start on any new meds.. Hope this has helped you some what . Take care !!

angiebaby
08-04-07, 21:33
Thankyou Heidi for your words of comfort, even though i know if i bite the bullet, as it were, and take one i will have a panic then for the day!! lol. Everytime i have taken a tablet it has made me bad so i suppose my body just expects it now. I think i will give it a go though as i'm starting to think that my problem is definatly my stomach re: hiatus hernia/ulcer. I have noticed, with thinking that it is my stomach and convincing myself that it's not my heart, that i get more when i'm in certain positions and i've done my gig today and i did do some dancing and my heart was going like the clappers, as usual, and when i was dancing i had one massive big and sort of painful one right in the centre of my chest, then a few minutes later i had another one. They really aren't nice but i am trying to convince myself that it is just my stomach. I was bending over, dancing, and this is exactly when it happened when i was doing a gig before, i bent over and had a massive run of multiple ectopics, right in the middle of a dance. It is hard enough at the best of times but when you are performing, then it scares you to do anymore and you have no choice but to carry on, it is even worse. I will just have to take one and then try and take my mind off the fact that i've had one won't it? Thanks again for your reply and i will let you know if i get up the courage, lol.x