PDA

View Full Version : No medication works....

Wilburis
30-10-16, 18:34
Hi

After many attempts on many different meds nothing has worked to ease my many problems with anxiety.

My question is, what now?

:shrug:

x

KeeKee
30-10-16, 18:56
Medication isn't the answer for everybody. Have you tried therapy? Counselling? That's all I know ha, but there are ways to help. For me, even just knowing there are others like me helps and also having an understanding GP.

Jebdog
30-10-16, 19:01
What are your symptoms? What therapy have you tried?

What helps you on a day to day basis?

Wilburis
30-10-16, 19:26
Hi

Ive tried CBT as well.

My symptoms are dizziness, racing heart, bad thoughts, health anxiety, depression, overthinking, I cannot leave the house by myself. When my kids have a temperature, I go crazy as I think they will get meningitis and die....

I hate being by myself, I hate myself.

The list goes on......

Jacsta
30-10-16, 19:27
Medication isn't always the answer. Talk to your GP about therapy options. Look up relaxation techniques. Mindfulness works for some people and there are free apps to help with that. Also try and identify your triggers....what is making you anxious, the see if there are ways of resolving it.

skymaid
30-10-16, 19:32
im on pregabalin which is taking the edge off those symptoms you listed.

but mostly working on cbt and mindfulness is helping me more.

I got out of this with just cbt last time.

Wilburis
30-10-16, 19:34
My GP is awful. He just says anxiety is a learned problem.

Ive also had a lot of crap in my life - my brother committed suicide, I lost my dad, my grandma, my sister has a major heart problem which is genetic. I tested negative but may have passed it on to my kids.

x

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Hi Skymaid

I remember you - I asked last week about Pregabalin and my GP wont prescribe it for me.

Im glad its making you feel better xx

skymaid
30-10-16, 19:53
I eventually found a decent gp, took me a while

The main thing is not to give up. You can get over this. Almost everyone does sooner or later.

Wilburis
30-10-16, 20:31
Thank you for your inspirational words.

Much appreciated.

x

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Ive been reading your blog too

:yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-16, 05:36
Why won't your GP prescribe it? Many try this on until they come across a patient who is clued up on the regs.

Wilburis
31-10-16, 09:03
Hi

He said it was too expensive.:mad::mad:

He said if a psychiatrist prescribes it, then he can continue to.....

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-16, 09:50
Ah, so he's being a pain in the arse then!

So he should refer you to a psychiatrist. I bet he is trying to deter you from that too? My GP is like that.

The thing is though, if a psychiatrist prescribes it to you - your GP pays for it! So, what is his point? I guess he is just trying to squirm out of it.

Wilburis
31-10-16, 10:47
Hello

Yes, i couldnt quite believe what I was hearing so basically his expense account is more important than my health...

I did ask him to be referred to a psychiatrist, again, he didnt look impressed so Im in the process of changing GP surgery.

I do find it strange as this GP came highly recommended.

xx

gonzosattic
02-11-16, 10:05
Have you thought about changing GP?
Might sound silly but the thing is it's very easy to change GP, just call your surgery and say "I'd like to change my GP please".
Not all GPs are the same, some sympathise, others don't and some don't even know what to do. You have to keep changing GP until you find one who shows at least a basic understanding of mental health issues.

Medication wise, depends what you're prescribed and given what you've said about your GP I don't hold high hopes.
I was on Citalopram for years, it helped with my depression and overall mood but not so much with the anxiety.
Few years later and a new sympathetic GP and I was prescribed Propranolol (Beta Blocker) which is a miracle drug. Certain organs in the body have what I like to call 'tiny key holes' for specific keys. There are certain beta waves that the body triggers to accelerate heart rate, breathing etc and these are the keys that open the tiny locks.
Beta blockers fly in and fit into the tiny locks that way if your body triggers beta waves (let's say from an fight or flight response) when they reach the locks they are already full so can't fit in.
First time I experienced it working I cried cos I was mid anxiety attack and had almost no physical symptoms which to me are the worst part. So yes it didn't get rid of 100% of physical symptoms but it has given me a break from a lot.
Then I was also prescribed Lorazepam for my really bad days , this calms the body and mind as it's a sedative.

I think a lot of the time when people say "medication didn't work for me" I believe it's down to GPs not wanting to prescribe more expensive alternatives or not even knowing they exist.
I tried Pregabalin and for me it was a nightmare, my body completely rejected it, I was so ill for the 3 weeks I took it, having taken other meds I expected to feel unwell for the first few weeks but this was off the scale.
What works for me won't nece work for you and drugs like Pregabalin although made my life hell it has saved and improved many lives.
Searching for good medications that work is like searching for a partner, you may end up kissing a few bad frogs before you find one that suits you.

Best Advice:
Your mental health is in your hands, this is true of all of us. It's important that we inform ourselves on our conditions, on what therapies are available, what drugs etc. Was having all this knowledge that helped me realise that I knew more about my mental health condition than my own GP, I've just taught him about EMDR therapy and he is looking into if/how I can get it.
I found a charity called Rethink Mental Health and once a week a lady comes over and does exposure therapy with me or I offload my worries etc
We have to be in charge of pushing our treatments forward after all nobody is going to be as motivated for me to get better than me.

Can't stress enough for you to change GP as he/she is actually being detrimental to your getting better journey.

Wilburis
02-11-16, 10:19
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I am in the process of changing my GP surgery.

I dont really think GPs understand how debilitating my symptoms are. They are ruining my life.

I have heard really awful things about Pregabalin - there is a Facebook group called "Lyrica Survivors". These people say that Pregabalin has ruined their lives.

Its a tough one. Ill update when I see my new GP.

x

Lissa101
02-11-16, 13:08
Hey Lizzie, meds never worked for me either but as far as I can tell from the literature talking therapies are just as, if not more, effective long term than SSRI's (on average). I was really disappointed when after nine months and three different SSRI's I had to admit that they just made me worse. It made me feel like I had to fight anxiety on my own, only I felt the weakest and most overwhelmed I'd ever felt in my life and had no idea how I was going to find the strength to get over it.

I really had to throw myself in to CBT, exercise, healthy eating, mindfulness ect. It took a long time but eventually I learned not be afraid anymore. Once I achieved this the rest naturally fell into place and the anxiety went. I recently experienced a relapse after 5 years but my recovery has went really well and I'm feeling much better after only 2 months. I think this is because I already knew the techniques and strategies from the first time around which I might not have honed as well if medication had had a good effect.

I'm not trying to knock medication at all. Its great if it works but if it doesn't it can sometimes help to focus on the positives of not going down that road. x

KeeKee
02-11-16, 14:11
Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I am in the process of changing my GP surgery.

I dont really think GPs understand how debilitating my symptoms are. They are ruining my life.

I have heard really awful things about Pregabalin - there is a Facebook group called "Lyrica Survivors". These people say that Pregabalin has ruined their lives.

Its a tough one. Ill update when I see my new GP.

x

There is also one for 'Paxil' (Paroxetine) and I truly believe it ruined my life too. However we are all different, I also never experienced any symptoms from going off cold turkey, whereas apparently Paroxetine is one of the worst for withdrawal like symptoms. And for every negative review there are probably 10 positive reviews. I'd say be your own advocate, do not let others try to sway your opinion.

skymaid
02-11-16, 14:43
you can find an "x drug ruined my life" story about pretty much anything. which is a shame because it makes people really fearful of starting medication which might help them.

drugs.com rate pregablin 8/10 for antiety which is and is generally better tolerated than most ssri/snri's. that said theres always a few people who have a bad reaction to pretty much anything

you don't HAVE to take meds to get better anyway. therapy can be effective on its own

propanalol gave me bad effects and worse panic attacks. its annoying how differently we all react to drugs