PDA

View Full Version : Bang to the Head

jonny93
30-10-16, 22:10
Hi everyone,

A while since I last posted! About 5 days ago on a trip to Barcelona I banged the top of my head when I stupidly walked into the top of a concrete door frame in a bar.

At the time it hurt a lot, but there was no blood, dizziness, fainting, nausea etc. However every day since I have had a few head pains which are intermittent.

Google suggests I may have a bleed in the skull/brain. Obviously I am not entering a state of panic. What do you guys think? Is it normal to still get headaches this long afterwards?

There is still no sickness and I have been able to drive as normal. Don't seem to have any other issues with memory etc. I really don't want to go to the doctor as I can see them sending me for brain scans etc.

This may sound silly however I'm sure other HA sufferers know how real these fears are. I'm convinced I will go to sleep and not wake up.

Cheers :)

lessthanjared
30-10-16, 23:25
(I have no medical experience, so take this with a grain of salt if you choose). If the pain is getting progressively worse and is accompanied by other symptoms, then I would seek medical attention immediately. If it is stable (not increasing in intensity) and there are no other symptoms, I would book an appointment with your GP asap but not be too worried about it.

Also, if you had slept previous nights and you were fine, it is likely that nothing will happen if you sleep tonight.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Also, I believe if you had a brain bleed it would be constant pain instead of intermittent.

brucealmighty
30-10-16, 23:33
same here, I`m no doctor but I`ve hit my head in the past and got concussion which wasn`t nice at all, and generally if you hit your head don`t forget you can hurt your skull and obviously the skin and soft tissue outside of it so it may well ache for a good few days or more.

your fears are very real and anyone who has or has had in the past HA knows how urgent it all seems, I`ve been there too so I`m not mocking you, but it`s unlikely you`ll have brain damage. if you`re concerned it would be worth letting your gp know and they can soon check your eyes and all manner of basic tests to give you reassurance.

and i`d avoid googling anything unless it`s nhs direct for advice, anyone can post anything they like so you`ll always find horror stories to reinforce your fears

hope you feel better very soon, health anxiety is an awful thing so stay hopeful and you can get better in time.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-16, 06:09
Stick to what the medical professionals say you need to look out for and for what period since the injury.

People bang their heads by the millions every day and how many actually have a problem? There is a reason why people like paramedics go into schools to coach the staff on when to take kids to hospital and that is based on the same signs the NHS state in places like NHS Choices, so the vast majority of kids are busy playing after being assessed by a teacher or supervisor.

If you have signs of concussion, ask a medical professional. And remember hospitals only monitor real concussion cases for a short amount of time because that's when anything that could happen, would have happened. Outside of these windows, they know it's is extremely unlikely and discharge everyone. They wouldn't take that risk if they thought there was a possibility.