PDA

View Full Version : Why?

NancyW
31-10-16, 03:37
Do we rarely read the outcome on these posts?

Reading past threads for reassurance, I can't find the outcome, it makes me worry that the outcome was bad, the fear was realized and possibly deleted or the poster didn't update because they didn't want to cause anyone any additional anxiety.

Your thoughts?

James1983
31-10-16, 03:58
By my own experience of posting things and im very sure 100% of other unfinished outcomes are the same is that the problem was sorted or we coped in that particular crisis out and we pass over updating anyone! we all really should give updates and not leave loose threads. note to myself

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-16, 06:06
This has been discussed a few times before since I've been here.

What evidence do any of us have that the person didn't come back because the worst happened to them? For a start, many people join here just to ask about their problem and then never come back to NMP. Does that mean they did die? But maybe they didn't die the way we assume? What if they were run over the next day? How many people could have died due to something like this and actually been completely healthy?

That's the problem with Cognitive Distortions, we don't look for all variables. We can't ever quantity anything or determine a true cause but we have to be wary of making assumptions and generalising as anxiety loves this.

How many of them found the answer of weathered the storm as James said?
How many of them just went to a forum that was better for them?
How many just couldn't be bothered to update their threads? To be honest, isn't this the outcome of most of the threads around here? Unless we ask someone, they tend to have dealt with it outside of the forum?

NancyW
31-10-16, 17:01
This has been discussed a few times before since I've been here.

What evidence do any of us have that the person didn't come back because the worst happened to them?

I'm sorry for the repeated question then, I have not read anything here on the topic.

Evidence? None. That's an open door for HA.

My HA brain tells me that they must have realized their worst fears and that is why there is no update. Surely, if the news were good, they would be shouting from the rooftops.

Acedia
31-10-16, 17:06
Actually, I think they would mention the bad news, rather than good news.

paranoid-viking
31-10-16, 17:10
Do we rarely read the outcome on these posts?

Reading past threads for reassurance, I can't find the outcome, it makes me worry that the outcome was bad, the fear was realized and possibly deleted or the poster didn't update because they didn't want to cause anyone any additional anxiety.

Your thoughts?

I can not talk for others here, but I will for sure update on my situation as time progress. But it may take time and there may be long periods in between something new comes up. I am thinking that there may be as long as...well almost a year; by September yeeat now if my situation has not worsened or I am getting better I will know it was not what i feared. But if you look hard you will find posters whome 4-5 years ago feared that they had the deadliest of cancers but are still with us and shake their head about their fair. But some people just diappear when they realise they were not dying and somehow forgot about this place.

For me - if I am gone for some months dont do the conclusion that I was right and have died. But I will for sure; if it is not as i feared be here wth an update next Septmeber. But I can not guarantee I will not be gone for some months.

axolotl
31-10-16, 19:09
You do wonder what happens to people sometimes, but rather than something awful, it's far more likely they've just come out the other side of their anxiety, and in a less anxious state don't need the forum any more. People whose fears are realised will be in the very (very) small minority.

ServerError
31-10-16, 19:24
I imagine a lot of people who post their worries - especially those who don't become forum regulars - never even consider that people might wonder how it worked out. I know when I firstly joined, my focus was entirely on getting reassurance for me. I never thought anyone might wonder what became of my situation, although I have tended to update anyway.

Kathryn313
31-10-16, 22:18
I often find that the symptom and outcome threads are often separate posts. People often post right up to a test and then start a new thread called 'test results' ect, I have found it helpful to see all posts by an individual to really understand a story and get a sense of progression. I also find it helpful to see that some health anxiety sufferers started many years ago and are still alive now. That is very reassuring for me (although ironically not for the posters, as they are still posting about the next worry/symptom)

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-16, 05:00
I'm sorry for the repeated question then, I have not read anything here on the topic.

Evidence? None. That's an open door for HA.

My HA brain tells me that they must have realized their worst fears and that is why there is no update. Surely, if the news were good, they would be shouting from the rooftops.

No need to be sorry, Nancy, I was just saying it's something that comes up from time to time, just like threads about other general discussion. It's a good thing anyway, something to open minds rather than focus on the issues of individuals. There should be more like this on the HA board.

I remember one on the GAD board a while back asking where a certain member had gone and the person asking was worried they might have died. There was absolutely no evidence.