PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawing antidepressants

Shazamataz
31-10-16, 19:46
Hi Guys, I haven't posted a thread for a while as doing a lot better - yay!

I started on Mirtazapine in March this year (psych insisted I was depressed first and anxious second - she was wrong!) and it helped a little but my June I was not doing well with the anxiety at all and started on Venlafaxine as well. This made a huge difference over all, though still not back to where I should be.

So, the Mirt has made me FAT. I put on 5 kg in the first 5 weeks and another 5 since then and feel just dreadful about myself.

Because the anxiety has so much improved I decided to come off the Mirt for the above reason and because it never really helped the anxiety anyway.

My idiot psych said to just stop it as there are no withdrawals, I've fired her now. I chose to reduce by 1/4 of my 30mg tablet a week which seems to be recommended. First week no issues at all apart from a rash which is supposed to be common with this med.

As soon as I dropped to 15mg I feel dreadful. All my past tension in the body feelings are back. I'm determined not to go back up and get stuck on this nasty med.

I guess my question is how do you know what is withdrawal (which should pass) and what is your old anxiety returning?

randomforeigner
31-10-16, 20:09
I don't do antidepressants, never have since I am heavily skeptical towards anything to do with pills (due to my childhood my parents ate a lot). I don't do much of alcohol either.

Anyway.

I recently saw a program once about a method that actually seems to work. Unfortunately there are no subtitles in this brief clip, from Youtube, but the clip is so brief so you get the idea anyway. (This is just a teaser and not the entire series of one hour programs of course.)
Some four girls who are heavily into anti-depressant medication and anxiety, they cry a lot and panic in the beginning of the show, get help to cope with their problems without pills through a specially developed program developed by a guy called BS Christiansen. I too think this works even though I have to develop my own "program".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PCGAgr1t90 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PCGAgr1t90&index=1&list=PLEjmGzmz_jjAFPZbRO8AKXkG4Xj7SthCz)

Mermaid16
31-10-16, 21:56
Hi Shaz! If you were improving before and it is only since you have started dropping the Mirt that you have felt bad, than I am pretty sure it would be the Mirt. It would be like coming off any other AD, with the withdrawals that you get. Hopefully they won't be as bad though because you have the Venlafaxine in your system. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of Mirt either. I only take it for the insomnia, but other than that it does absolutely nothing for me. It will get better and you will get back to where you were. You are taking something from your brain that it is use to getting, so it will take a little while to readjust.

Hope it doesn't take too long. You are doing great and have come a long way. I'm happy for you that the Ven is working. When you have something that works in place, you can start to tackle other things like the Mirt. You will get there. I have every faith that you will do it. xx

dale12345
31-10-16, 22:21
I really hope it works out, sorry you feel like crap.

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-16, 08:22
I heard from Buster that you had a fall, Shaz. I hope you are ok. :hugs::flowers:

dale12345
02-11-16, 22:46
I also hope you are ok

Shazamataz
02-11-16, 22:53
I heard from Buster that you had a fall, Shaz. I hope you are ok. :hugs::flowers:

Oh, haha, makes me sound like an elderly person. Just tripped down the back steps, there's only three of them. Just a few bruises and feel like an idiot! Thanks for checking in though :)

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

I also hope you are ok

Thanks Dale, am ok and not feeling as bad with the withdrawals. Can't wait to be off thus fat-making drug!

dale12345
02-11-16, 23:02
Oh, haha, makes me sound like an elderly person. Just tripped down the back steps, there's only three of them. Just a few bruises and feel like an idiot! Thanks for checking in though :)

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Thanks Dale, am ok and not feeling as bad with the withdrawals. Can't wait to be off thus fat-making drug!

Glad you r ok!

whatisthis
03-11-16, 15:16
Take it as slowly as you can, long term. Only reduce when you feel stable at small amounts.

I've spent 2 years withdrawing from 5mg of paroxetine. I'm determined to get off it well this time.

Shazamataz
03-11-16, 20:38
Take it as slowly as you can, long term. Only reduce when you feel stable at small amounts.

I've spent 2 years withdrawing from 5mg of paroxetine. I'm determined to get off it well this time.

Two years!!!!! Wow! I'm not going to do this over a long period as feel I should be okay with the venlafaxine on board. Fingers crossed!

MyNameIsTerry
18-11-16, 06:31
Oh, haha, makes me sound like an elderly person. Just tripped down the back steps, there's only three of them. Just a few bruises and feel like an idiot! Thanks for checking in though

Hah! I wasn't thinking that at all. It would be rich coming from me anyway, Shaz, just bending down is giving me problems these days so I feel like an old man!

I hope you are ok? I read about the earthquakes in NZ and wondered about you. :hugs::flowers: