PDA

View Full Version : New member too

linjane
17-10-04, 15:06
Hello, i'm lin and i am 37.i started having panic attacks about five years ago, but possibly even before that but then i didn't know what they were!My dad died when i was 21, my mom died when i was 27 and pregnant with my first child and then five years ago i lost both of my grandparents in the same year.I then had another child and then two years ago conceived again but this time the baby died inside me when i was five months pregnant. the baby was a little boy who we had a funeral for and everything.six weeks after this happened i started having palpitations and have had them ever since plus panic attacks and continual feelings of dread for no reason.i have been checked out for palpitations and they say i'm ok but they terrrify me.i get them most days but then every so often i have a couple of weeks without them. i live a stressful life, as we all do, but i am so fed up of these things ruling me.apparently it is my bodies way of dealing with all of the bereavement in my life. does anyone else have any of these symptons maybe we could help each other at least to know we are alright

Rennie1989
17-10-04, 15:16
im sorry to hear about your family!

im not sure what to say about the syptoms, what else do you have physically like chest pain etc

welcome to the site by the way

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

seh1980
17-10-04, 15:42
hi there,

Welcome to the site!! I used to get palpitations and so do many people - they are a very common symptom of anxiety so don't worry - there is nothing wrong with you!! I'm sure you will find loads of support here as I have done.

Sarah :D

Karen
17-10-04, 16:22
Hi Lin

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about your losses. It must be very difficult coming to terms with losing so many close relatives, and your little boy within such a short space of time.

I also get palpitations and, as others have said, they are a very common symptom of panic.

Briary

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jo-jo
17-10-04, 16:27
So sorry to hear about your sad circumstances, I can understand that you've had a really tough time of it of late and its no real surprise that you're body is producing some extreme reactions to all the stress you've suffered.

You'll find many people here that have palpitations at some time or another (I'm one of them) and please be reassured that as horrid as they feel, they won't hurt you.

Welcome to the forum Lin, you'll find loads of support here and the people are just lovely and will always try to help you.

Best wishes, Jo x

minny
17-10-04, 16:38
Hi Lin!

Welcome!

Youve been through so much. This site is wonderful and is sure to help you!

Love Minny..xx

I have NOT failed!! Ive succeeded in finding 1000 solutions that dont work! :o)

linjane
17-10-04, 17:16
Hi Briary, thanks for replying to my messsage. I am sure if I could get past being scared of the palpitations I would not be so bad but they worry me so much. I even asked my doctor for tablets but he refuses to give me anything. Do you get them every day? I have tried counselling but so far that hasn't helped everyone says you have to think positive and not negative then they will go away on their own, i wish they would!! Take care
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">So sorry to hear about your sad circumstances, I can understand that you've had a really tough time of it of late and its no real surprise that you're body is producing some extreme reactions to all the stress you've suffered.

You'll find many people here that have palpitations at some time or another (I'm one of them) and please be reassured that as horrid as they feel, they won't hurt you.

Welcome to the forum Lin, you'll find loads of support here and the people are just lovely and will always try to help you.

Best wishes, Jo x

<div align="right">Originally posted by jo-jo - 17 October 2004 : 16:27:49</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

jill
17-10-04, 17:20
Hi Lin

Welcome to the site,

so sorry to hear about your losses,

There are lots of nice people here who will help
and support you. I to have had this symptom.
Remember Lin you are not alone,

TAKE CARE

Jillxxx

May your troubles be less
and your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door..

linjane
17-10-04, 17:26
Hi Jill, thanks for replying. How did you cope with the palpitations, i feel like they take over my life sometimes. How did you get rid of them? Would love to find a cure or a way of coping.
Take care,
Lin
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Lin

Welcome to the site,

so sorry to hear about your losses,

There are lots of nice people here who will help
and support you. I to have had this symptom.
Remember Lin you are not alone,

TAKE CARE

Jillxxx

May your troubles be less
and your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door..

<div align="right">Originally posted by jill - 17 October 2004 : 17:20:20</div id="right">

jill
17-10-04, 18:10
Hi Lin

I am one of NMP succsess stories, thay have done so
much to help me, although I do not have PA anymore
Mr Panic is still around he trys to catch me out sometimes
and one of the symptoms is palpitations, It is the way we
think, we fear him every time he is around so the symptom
gets worse. All I can say is what I did. I have become very
oh whats the word's I'm looking for? matter af fack, if the
palpitations start my mind has to work very quick to stop
me from thinking those negative thoughts, in other words
so what I've got palpitatins I know what it is and I know
it will not harm me.
Hope this makes sence.
With alot of hard work support and time you to can laern
how to be matter of fact,

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Karen
17-10-04, 18:32
Hi Lin

Ye, I get palpitations a lot of the time. I know they are a symptoms of anxiety/panic and so don't let them worry me. Knowing that these symptoms aren't anything serious makes them easier to deal with.

I just accept them as part of the panic. I think the more you worry that they are a sign of a health issue, the more you will get them.

I know it can be hard, but a lot of people here have the same symptoms.

Briary

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
17-10-04, 19:06
Hi Lin Jane

Welcome to the site. Have a good hunt around at older posts too .

I expect that you've had an ECG just to rule out any other causes .

When you're stressed either for rational reasons or by creating stressful images and thoughts you release adrenalin and cortisol.
Palpitations are simply a chemical response to this . You wil have had palpitations before any of these horrid life events happened to but will not have noticed them before.

Once you've had panic or anxiety we become so aware of every single thing that is nor normal and are hypersensitive to them . Our bodies are like creaky houses , it normal to need an occassional twing, creak and unexplained sensation . It does not mean disaster - just a response to something else .

Take care

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

mabel
18-10-04, 21:15
hi there!
Ive suffered from anxiety and depression for over 10 years! Among my many symptoms are palpitations. They are not pleasant and I also went through ECG's etc and eventually had to accept that they were caused by anxiety. I don't have them so often now but when I do, I take a deep breath and say to myself "Oh there they go again, they are not dangerous and cant hurt me" sounds silly but it works! and the feeling passes within a couple of munutes and I fporget about them. They cant hurt you and are NOT dangerous and Ive found that dealing with them in that way helps! If they were dangerous you would know by now.
Take care
Caroline

linjane
05-02-05, 17:02
Hi
Just wanted to update my information in case there is anyone else out there with similar symptons who can offer any advice. My missed beats/palpitations are still ruling my life and after all I've been through, apparently they are something I have to learn to live with. I find it so hard and would be so grateful to anyone who could help. Panic and anxiety is so horrible and it is amazing how many people suffer. Hope we can all help each other.

clickaway
05-02-05, 17:23
Hi

I tried 12 weeks of counselling a year ago, but I didn't feel it was effective. However, it was a 'target' to aim for every week and she was someone to talk too.

For the past three months, I've been seeing a psychotherpist privately. He can relate to my issues much better and has the knowledge of people's feelings, which I find reassuring.
Maybe seeing a therpaist who can explain the workings of these feelings again and again will help more.

Take Care

Ray

linjane
05-02-05, 17:27
Hi again Ray,
It is a pyschotherapist that I am seeing. Years ago I saw an anxiety counsellor but that didn't really help and that was more for panic attacks. It is now these palpitations and missed beats that trigger most of my problems and my pyschoterapist wants to get to the root of it, which is probably all the bereavements.

Take care,
Linda
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi

I tried 12 weeks of counselling a year ago, but I didn't feel it was effective. However, it was a 'target' to aim for every week and she was someone to talk too.

For the past three months, I've been seeing a psychotherpist privately. He can relate to my issues much better and has the knowledge of people's feelings, which I find reassuring.
Maybe seeing a therpaist who can explain the workings of these feelings again and again will help more.

Take Care

Ray

<div align="right">Originally posted by clickaway - 05 February 2005 : 17:23:08</div id="right">

JPF
05-02-05, 17:30
Hi Linjane

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about what you've experienced in the past. Many people get the palpitations, anxiety and panic will give all kinds of symptoms and sensations but recognising them for what they are really helps you to fight back. I get chest pains, irregular heart beats and sensations of pressure in my chest and throat when I have PAs (or am feeling bad). There are a variety of symptoms you can get and talking here with some very nice, sympathetic people who have experienced them too is a real help for people suffering with this nasty, debilitating condition.

This forum and the website are a teasure-trove of information and support - it's really great - I'm sure it will help you as much as it has been helping me.

Good luck and good health

J

linjane
05-02-05, 17:35
Hi j
Thankyou.

You are right about debilitating. The palpitations alone make me so irritable - I have two wonderful children and want to enjoy them - and they are all I sometimes focus on. I just wish I could believe they are not harming me. Some days I get the missed beat on and off all day other times I have gone for a week or so without noticing any, but I always seem to be waiting for them to come back. I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO AWAY FOREVER!!!!!
Take care and any other advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Linda
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Linjane

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about what you've experienced in the past. Many people get the palpitations, anxiety and panic will give all kinds of symptoms and sensations but recognising them for what they are really helps you to fight back. I get chest pains, irregular heart beats and sensations of pressure in my chest and throat when I have PAs (or am feeling bad). There are a variety of symptoms you can get and talking here with some very nice, sympathetic people who have experienced them too is a real help for people suffering with this nasty, debilitating condition.

This forum and the website are a teasure-trove of information and support - it's really great - I'm sure it will help you as much as it has been helping me.

J

<div align="right">Originally posted by JPF - 05 February 2005 : 17:30:24</div id="right">

JPF
05-02-05, 18:05
Hi Linda

Yes it's a horrible, pervasive condition which can make your everyday existence a real misery.. the upside is you can do something about it! Panic and anxiety are amongst the most responsive conditions there are to treatment - I mean that in the conventional sense (medication and professional therapy/counselling etc.) and the non-conventional sense which is self-help, positive thinking and talking with people who also have the condition.

The latter was the biggest breakthrough for me, I felt very alone, that what I was feeling was some kind of unique weirdness confined solely to me. When I found this forum and website it was almost like I could shout "Yes!" It's sad to know people feel bad but it also helps when you know you are not alone and that what you are feeling is also experienced by literally millions of people worldwide.

The best advice I could give is cut-down on caffeine - I've almost eliminated it and I feel much, much better. I have fewer feelings in my chest and much fewer headaches. It's made a big difference for me - so if you're not already off it I would advise you give that a try. Positive thinking helps - take your mind of what you're feeling/thinking because it's a vicious circle and when you feel a symptom (like a palpitation) you start thinking about it and it comes on again and so the cycle continues! I'm making good progress, I take a lot of Bach's Rescue Remedy and some others of that range and they also seem to help me a lot. Have a look at the suggestions on First Steps on the parent website too and that will help. The final bit of advice I'd give is share your feelings and experiences here - it's an excellent way of coping and learning about your condition - which is eminently treatable and beatable with a bit of perseverance :)

J

clickaway
05-02-05, 18:22
Talking to people sure does help, but in my experience finding that right indivdual makes it more effective.

I make use of the helplines run by No Panic and First Steps to Freedom. The people there too are sufferers or ex-sufferers. We can usually respond better after speaking to somebody with similar symptoms, or perhaps with a 'special' voice.

Both these organisations have a pool of volunteers and I wonder if you ring enough you will catch somebody who is able to reassure you with your palpitations, maybe through personal experience. Its worth a go.

Hugs

Ray