PDA

View Full Version : Anybodys cat had a matt before?

KeeKee
02-11-16, 15:48
My semi longhair tortie has a matt on her lower back and she's had it around a week now. We've tried combing it out and it won't come lose. I've read bathing her or washing the matt will only make it worse and the best option is to cut it off. Any opinions? She's never had one before and shes 4 now so I'm a bit shocked but it does appear to be where I imagine it would be difficult for her to groom herself, plus they all are getting their fluffy coats so wonder if it could be due to that

Phuzella
02-11-16, 15:55
Yeah years ago. Best to let vet sort it if it's big . They can pull and make the skin sore

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Or cut it yourself if she'll let you

KeeKee
02-11-16, 15:57
Thank you for responding. It's only small and I'm sure I'd be able to cut it out myself (with the help of somebody else). If she won't let me do it I'll ring the vets.

KeeKee
02-11-16, 15:59
Here's my gorgeous specimen. I'm sure she'll let us sort it

Phuzella
02-11-16, 16:03
So sweet :). Yeah cut it out carefully the keep the area combed. Check her armpits and fluffy troùser area too. They can get matts there bless em.

KeeKee
02-11-16, 16:07
Is this pretty much just a long/semi longhaired problem? I have two 5 year old short hairs too who thankfully haven't had any yet.
I'll wait until I see my partner tomorrow and he can help me with her. She's a very laid back cat so I'm hoping she'll be fine with it.
Also tmi but we've had to cut some hair from her backside too for reason I won't go into. Not a pretty site but worth it as I adore my cats

Phuzella
02-11-16, 16:18
Yeah it's long hair problem. As you said I think it's a bit more difficult for them to groom themselves. Oh I know about the backside thing :ohmy::)

Elen
02-11-16, 16:32
Try and cut vertically down through the matt if you can, then split the hair nearest the skin to prevent another matt forming.

Also to help prevent a re-occurance it pays to tease your fingers through that general area while you are stroking her.

Fishmanpa
02-11-16, 17:11
Years ago I had a long haired domestic tuxedo black and white and she would occasionally get matted areas. I would just trim them out. She loved to be brushed though and would remind me daily to do so! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

Carrie8484
02-11-16, 17:25
yep, we cut the matts out or sometimes i can tease them out with my fingers, even big ones.
my boy cat loves it and rolls over as he laps up attention.

SLA
02-11-16, 17:41
Great now I am worried about my cat getting a matt. :weep:

Joking.

KeeKee
02-11-16, 17:46
Thank you all so much for replying. I do have a pound shop version of the tangle teezer that I use on them, I'll use it more often to prevent this from now on. My ginger tomcat loves it, my girl cats aren't too keen but the semi long haired one isn't as bothered by it as my other tortie who doesn't really like it at all.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Great now I am worried about my cat getting a matt. :weep:

Joking.

Haha. Why it'll be a fun experience trying to cut it out no doubt! I remember bathing my cats years ago as they had fleas. Not fun. At all.

KeeKee
07-11-16, 15:54
After a little bit of chasing her around I managed to get this out of my cats fur. She now feels lovely and smooth again.

Phuzella
07-11-16, 17:31
:)