PDA

View Full Version : Hello

robias
02-11-16, 21:40
Hiya,

Just posting my newbie post although I'm not that new to panic attacks. I've been suffering about 8 years albeit mild compared to what has developed in the past 6-8 months. I've finally bit the bullet and discussed with my GP and now on 40mg of citalopram and attending a panic course. From this the main thing I've taken away is the comfort from hearing other peoples experiences which is why I've been googling panic support groups and came across this forum.

I know my triggers but dont understand whats brought them on in the past 6-8 months. The previous 8 years were very out of the blue and once every few months. Now they've escalated and its situations where I cant just leave but its not enclosed spaces as such, traffic lights when driving, meetings, trains, drive thru's. If anyone else has the same I'd love to hear.

Anyhows I'll keep this brief and have a lurk around...

Cheers,
Robias

venusbluejeans
02-11-16, 21:46
Hiya robias and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

HH
03-11-16, 09:19
Hi there,

I'm also new. Good to see you around :)

robias
03-11-16, 21:01
Cheers HH hope your doing as well as can be. :welcome:

Sookie xx
04-11-16, 13:18
Hey I'm a newbie to, only joined today :) I know exactly what you are talking about, it's that feeling of being trapped, I was fine on car journeys whilst moving forward and free to return home if I felt panicky but as soon as that flow was restricted by a train crossing, traffic jam or god forbid the car broke down my means to get back home ( my sanctuary ) made me panic as I was not in control of my own movements... I hope that makes sense... sookie..x

Bailey2001
04-11-16, 13:25
welcome! citalopram definitely worked for me! hang in there :)

Shezney
04-11-16, 13:27
Hey I'm exactly the same when I feel I can't easily escape, feel better being at home but still panic there . Even getting my hair cut makes me panic because I can't leave with just half it cut lol , it's the stupidest thing .

Sookie xx
04-11-16, 13:36
I suffered the same... I use to tell myself in my head " There is no point panicking as I can't do anything about it" or I'd tell the hair dresser I felt faint and had to go outside for a bit just so I knew I could escape if needed...haha..

Echojade
04-11-16, 14:42
Hi Robias,
I too get that " need to escape " feeling when things are taken from or beyond my control. If i have to rely on others it messes with my head. Mine stems from a background of constant let downs/empty promises and it manifests in my being unable to controll my body. I will suddenly become physically ill when my mind 'snaps' into its drama and this causes my conscious mind to begin panicking due to my fear of social judgement (stems from never feeling adequate or accepted) that i may suddenly lose control of all functions (and my lunch).... embaressing myself forever..... doomed to shame..... which leads to feelings of extreme need to flee..... which starts the irritated, bossy, want everything now ego too come forth and drag my relationship into odds because im freaking out and the normies cant figure out why i have to go.....and all the plans, hopes i had for a great day go down the sh*tpan and everyone is unhappy. Except that annoying part of my anxiety,whom started the whole dang thing, which is pleased as punch to be hiding again.
And next time i have to go somewhere, these past situations come flooding up...... i begin to dwell..... too fantasize about how wrong it can go..... i convince myself that its all not worth it.....and then you find yourself always home..... always hiding and avoiding...... feeling all alone....... until one day you are.

I know the feeling......

The only things that help me are escape routes. But its not always possible and in those moments you sometimes just have to keep moving.

Sending all the best to you x

robias
04-11-16, 22:37
Hey I'm a newbie to, only joined today :) I know exactly what you are talking about, it's that feeling of being trapped, I was fine on car journeys whilst moving forward and free to return home if I felt panicky but as soon as that flow was restricted by a train crossing, traffic jam or god forbid the car broke down my means to get back home ( my sanctuary ) made me panic as I was not in control of my own movements... I hope that makes sense... sookie..x

Hi Sookie,

Glad you've joined too, it really helps me hear other people's stories like on this forum.
What you're describing makes total sense...unfortunately. Ive no idea why this has become a trigger for me but I hate traffic jams and traffic lights, like you said, can't control your own movements. I visualise running away from the car and leaving it there at the lights! I can be be in full panic mode but as soon as I'm back home I'm calmer. Makes me realise it's not physical thankfully, whatever is going on is in my head. If i have a good day I get in those situations and I am looking for the panic but it doesn't boil over but its the constant looking that gets to me.

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

welcome! citalopram definitely worked for me! hang in there :)

Cheers Bailey, I'm hanging in there, been upped to 40mg which I'm happy enough about, it does seem to take the edge off. Glad it worked for you! :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 22:27 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Hey I'm exactly the same when I feel I can't easily escape, feel better being at home but still panic there . Even getting my hair cut makes me panic because I can't leave with just half it cut lol , it's the stupidest thing .

Hi Shezney,

Ahh i haven't been to the hairdressers for ages (even before the panic attacks I hated hairdressers), this would totally be one of my triggers if I didn't hack at my own hair!!

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Hi Robias,
I too get that " need to escape " feeling when things are taken from or beyond my control. If i have to rely on others it messes with my head. Mine stems from a background of constant let downs/empty promises and it manifests in my being unable to controll my body. I will suddenly become physically ill when my mind 'snaps' into its drama and this causes my conscious mind to begin panicking due to my fear of social judgement (stems from never feeling adequate or accepted) that i may suddenly lose control of all functions (and my lunch).... embaressing myself forever..... doomed to shame..... which leads to feelings of extreme need to flee..... which starts the irritated, bossy, want everything now ego too come forth and drag my relationship into odds because im freaking out and the normies cant figure out why i have to go.....and all the plans, hopes i had for a great day go down the sh*tpan and everyone is unhappy. Except that annoying part of my anxiety,whom started the whole dang thing, which is pleased as punch to be hiding again.
And next time i have to go somewhere, these past situations come flooding up...... i begin to dwell..... too fantasize about how wrong it can go..... i convince myself that its all not worth it.....and then you find yourself always home..... always hiding and avoiding...... feeling all alone....... until one day you are.

I know the feeling......

The only things that help me are escape routes. But its not always possible and in those moments you sometimes just have to keep moving.

Sending all the best to you x

Hey Echojade,

Thanks for the reply, its good you can see where your triggers might have stemmed from, I don't understand mine yet. I'll get there though, it really helps hearing other peoples stories it will be the final piece of the puzzle I think.

I hope you can find a way to work through what your feeling about the situations where you're out of control. Its hard when the people you're with don't understand what you're going through.

Echojade
04-11-16, 23:41
:) xxx