PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to fully recover?

Beckybecks
03-11-16, 11:58
Hi. I've been a member here for some time now.

The people on this forum have helped me tremendously and in turn I hope I've helped others where I can.

I've had anxiety for over 20 years now, together with panic attacks, depression, IBS and many anxiety related symptoms.

I've never stopped researching and through the years I've learnt a lot about how to deal with and control my anxiety.

However, I've discovered that after 20 years of anxiety my body has obviously been flooded with an overdose of stress hormones. And this seems to be having a long term effect.

On an almost daily basis I find I'm battling with symptoms such as extreme fatigue, flu like symptoms, head aches, IBS, aching joints.
I'm not anxious and even though I have HA, these symptoms have been going on for so long they don't cause anxiety anymore.

However they're very debilitating and I find it difficult to lead a normal life, i.e. going to work, shopping, housework etc. to be honest, I mostly just want to sleep, or rest and do as little as possible. But I feel like I'm missing out on so much of my life.

Is there anyone who has beaten anxiety and dealt with these symtoms successfully? Should I be looking at building up my immune system? Supplements or a special diet?

Please, I would so appreciate some advice here.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Anyone have anything to say about this?
I'm actually having an awful day with extreme fatigue, fuzzy head and aching joints.
I really need to find a way to get better.

Ange1
03-11-16, 16:05
H Becky I have also had anxiety for many years...more than i care to remember!
and suffer with all the things you talk about.
In addition to all the therapy and mindfulness etc I have found really good quality fish oils help along with using coconut oil in cooking and drinking pomegranate juice. Then earlier in the summer I had a gastric virus that just went on and on so I bought some probiotics with 15million in each capsule from 9 different bacteria ( that is the key thing) and took 2 per day. It sorted the tummy out but most of all I feel my old energy returning and have started to do things I wouldn't have considered before. There is a lot written about the connection between leaky gut and anxiety which I think the right probiotics can help. The IBS is also so much better which is another added bonus :) x

dale12345
03-11-16, 20:31
I dont know but if you figure it out let me know!:)

skymaid
03-11-16, 20:48
I would say yes definitely.

I was completely housebound with agoraphobia and panic attacks for a year or so in my late teens.

with cbt and hardwork I had about 20 years free from anxiety symptoms and unnecessary fears.

it's unfortunately possible to relapse and im in the process of getting out of this again. seems a bit harder this time but I guess im older and have more stresses

Beckybecks
04-11-16, 05:54
H Becky I have also had anxiety for many years...more than i care to remember!
and suffer with all the things you talk about.
In addition to all the therapy and mindfulness etc I have found really good quality fish oils help along with using coconut oil in cooking and drinking pomegranate juice. Then earlier in the summer I had a gastric virus that just went on and on so I bought some probiotics with 15million in each capsule from 9 different bacteria ( that is the key thing) and took 2 per day. It sorted the tummy out but most of all I feel my old energy returning and have started to do things I wouldn't have considered before. There is a lot written about the connection between leaky gut and anxiety which I think the right probiotics can help. The IBS is also so much better which is another added bonus :) x

Thank you Angel, I took probiotics for IBS although they didn't seem to make any difference. Maybe they weren't the right ones. The only thing that helped was ridding myself of the fear of colon cancer. Once the doc confirmed it was IBS my symptoms disappeared! I'm going to try the fish oil, that would be omega?

---------- Post added at 05:54 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

I would say yes definitely.

I was completely housebound with agoraphobia and panic attacks for a year or so in my late teens.

with cbt and hardwork I had about 20 years free from anxiety symptoms and unnecessary fears.

it's unfortunately possible to relapse and im in the process of getting out of this again. seems a bit harder this time but I guess im older and have more stresses

Thanks. I would so love to feel completely well again. I suppose my HA is a big stumbling block. My husband says I must accept that as I get older there'll be more aches and pains and if I stress about each and every one I'll jst be making things worse for myself.

I do hope you manage your recovery soon and get back to how you were for those 20 years.

Ange1
04-11-16, 16:27
Hi Becky thank you I'm really getting there bit by bit :) yes good quality Omega fish oil is best :) definitely makes a difference which probiotics you buy. They have to have at least 15million per capsule and also at least 8 different bacteria to be effective. I take 30 million per day and will soon reduce that to 15million. x

AccountantAndy
04-11-16, 17:01
Hi Becky

I'm fairly new to anxiety compared to you having only experienced symptoms the last six years or so. I'm currently in the process of going to the doctors and having tests/trying tablets but it all points to anxiety triggering my symptoms.

I'm trying a number of things to help mainly around diet and exercise. Examples like:

-making fresh fruit smoothies to encourage a 5-a-day intake
-drinking lots of water
-going for brisk walks on my lunchbreaks whilst listening to audiobooks
-joining a gym and making sure i go three times a week at a time to suit my life routine
-I went through a period of taking a vitamin C supplement which seemed to help with colds etc although in some way I'm not sure if it was a placebo.
- I've tried peppermint tablets and multivitamins and other supplements but to be honest haven't really noticed any real differences
-distracting myself around the house by doing odd jobs/housework when i feel symptoms creeping up.
I've found if I can keep myself busy and not let my subconscious time to grab hold it helps immensely.

i'm not seeing these are all gospel though as like I said at the start, I'm currently seeking treatment/answers but I do find the above helps me.

Super_Freaked
06-11-16, 21:38
for the tired feelings and to move out of all this .. Lots of water, lots of pushing yourself with exercises like at least 30min of sweaty exercise your life force will grow, the more you do the more you can do is always true, unless you have broken bones but i mean flesh and muscles, 99% if the time in the animal kingdom energy levels go up threw high output of energy

bluesparkle
09-11-16, 10:59
Hi
I think when you have anxiety / panic etc it is always part of you BUT yes you can recover
It isn't easy and there isn't a quick fix
I have been a member on here for as long as I can remember and when I look back I would consider myself now recovered
There are situations that are uncomfortable for me but I was only just thinking the other day and I can truly say I am happy and I love my life
I never thought i would ever say that in a million years
How did I get to this stage .... Well i used this site a lot and got my knowledge from people here that had been through or where going through similar
I used both the forum and the chat room and made some real good friends
You need to learn to trust those that have been through it , and yes I can remember reading things and think yeah that's great but I will never be like that
Here I am now nearly 49 and enjoying life and trying new experiences
There is no magic wand and it's something that takes determination
You will move forward and then back but stick at it it will and can happen
Try any help they are offering you , I found cbt good but met a few counsellors along the way that didn't work for me
Don't give up you can overcome this

Beckybecks
09-11-16, 14:21
Thanks for your replies.

It looks like it's a case of getting super healthy and hoping the immune system can fight off these anxiety induced symptoms.

I must say I find it hard to push myself physically when I feel so tired all the time but I'm thinking that if I do it slowly bit by bit I might just get there.

It's not so much a case of distracting myself but more a case of dealing with what these stress hormones have done to my body over a period of twenty odd years.

So it's vitamins, omega fish oil, probiotics, healthy diet, lots of water and exercise.

Watch this space :D

dale12345
10-11-16, 19:18
I hope you feel better.