PDA

View Full Version : What is a nervous breakdown?

Mermaid16
03-11-16, 11:06
What do those words mean to you?

skymaid
03-11-16, 11:15
it's not really a medical term but i'd say it's when a period of prolonged stress (or a traumatic event) has exhausted you mentally and made you feel unable to cope with your normal everyday life anymore.

Lissa101
03-11-16, 11:18
To me it meant anxiety so bad that I couldn't hold a thought in my head and couldn't function on a day to day basis at all. However, now (5 years after) I don't really believe in breakdowns or at least I don't believe that the term is helpful for me. My GP at the time told me it was a very unhelpful, negative, way to think about things and at the time I completely disagreed with him. One time he said to me 'You're not broken, nothing is broken, you have severe anxiety and you'll recover.' That really changed my perceptions of what was happening.

Beckybecks
03-11-16, 12:02
As Lissa says. When you feel you just can't function anymore in any way.
To me it's an old fashioned term. They used to say you had "bad nerves" when you suffered from anxiety. Everyone deals with it in different ways and I think some people are stronger than others. Where we may have the same degree of anxiety, one person may be admitted to a clinic for rest and recovery while another may just carry on going, out of necessity possibly.

Magic
03-11-16, 12:43
I had a "nervous breakdown" years ago. A lot of personal stuff had gone on.
I could not function. Could not wash or get dressed. Don't know where my girls were, still cannot remember I know I sent my eldest round my neighbours house to comb there hair before school. Cannot remember how they got there or back. We had no telephones.
In the end my sister came to the house with her husband and they took me back to their house and sent for the doctor. Gave me tablets.
I stayed there all day. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.
I have my odd bad day, but thank goodness I have never had that experience since.

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-16, 13:31
I had a "nervous breakdown" years ago. A lot of personal stuff had gone on.
I could not function. Could not wash or get dressed. Don't know where my girls were, still cannot remember I know I sent my eldest round my neighbours house to comb there hair before school. Cannot remember how they got there or back. We had no telephones.
In the end my sister came to the house with her husband and they took me back to their house and sent for the doctor. Gave me tablets.
I stayed there all day. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.
I have my odd bad day, but thank goodness I have never had that experience since.

That's how I view it. I've been through my own version twice now. It could have been worse, I didn't harm myself or end up sectioned but every exhausting minute of the day was a battle to just live. Washing, eating, talking, it all felt like a trial.

Easily the most severe kick in the goolies that life has dealt me.

SurfingWaves
03-11-16, 14:02
I feel like I am slipping quickly in to one the last week or so. Finding that I dont want to get out of bed, not hungry, cant do much. Feeling very anxious. I still go to work though I cant let that slip under any circumstances

dale12345
03-11-16, 18:37
That's how I view it. I've been through my own version twice now. It could have been worse, I didn't harm myself or end up sectioned but every exhausting minute of the day was a battle to just live. Washing, eating, talking, it all felt like a trial.

Easily the most severe kick in the goolies that life has dealt me.

It just when everything becomes to much just daily living is beyond hard to handle.

almamatters
03-11-16, 19:13
With me it was a case of stopping being able to function, not washing, not getting out of bed, not eating, ceasing to care about anything and anybody. I remember wanting to jump out of my body and run away from it to try and escape the hopelessness of it all.

dale12345
03-11-16, 19:52
With me it was a case of stopping being able to function, not washing, not getting out of bed, not eating, ceasing to care about anything and anybody. I remember wanting to jump out of my body and run away from it to try and escape the hopelessness of it all.

Thats a good way of explaining it.

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-16, 22:30
I feel like I am slipping quickly in to one the last week or so. Finding that I dont want to get out of bed, not hungry, cant do much. Feeling very anxious. I still go to work though I cant let that slip under any circumstances

Yes, try to keep normality, structure and routine. It can help. I knew when I finally had to admit I couldn't cope any longer at work that my relapse was going to be worse at home. It was. But work was a stressful environment and they didn't care about helping anyway, it was just lip service.

When it hits you, I think you will know. I also think you are having a trial right now but that doesn't mean you will sink.

Catherine S
03-11-16, 22:31
Forgive me for asking and having been lucky enough not to have experienced what you have all described, even though ive suffered with health anxiety most of my adult life, can you tell me what the difference is between what you went through and depression? None of you have mentioned depression and I always thought that it would be described in much the same way. What makes the difference between the two illnesses? Thanks.

ISB x

Mermaid16
04-11-16, 07:18
Thanks everyone for posting. Magic I'm sorry this post upset you. It was interesting to hear other people's opinions. I don't know if what I have experienced is a breakdown as such. Whatever it is, I have been through it twice. Now being the second time. The first time 20 years ago. I guess the first time taught me a few things. So I avoid doing them as much as possible. I have worked every day. We have a family business, so it allows me to cry and rest when I need (I am very thankful for this, as probably zero other people have been able to do this). I have had days where I get home from work and lay in bed all night until morning. I try to keep as functionable as I can because depression starts to sneak in otherwise. I think it is possible to suffer a nervous breakdown without having depression. There are days where I have been totally consumed and frantic with anxiety and have thought I couldn't bear it for another second, but I wasn't depressed, just anxious. I had the mother of all panic attacks and went to a&e. On the way there, I was sure that I would die before we made it. As soon as we walked through the door a sense of calm came over me. That night was my rock bottom and I have never let my panic escalate that high again. I hate taking medication (all 4 of them), but am trying to get better so I can reduce them. I am so tired all the time and I hate that feeling. I have started psychotherapy and have found it beneficial after only two sessions, particularly with some of the agoraphobia issues I have. I was able to drive by myself to therapy and stay there on my own. She sets tasks for me to achieve and I feel accountable to her, so I push myself to do the homework she sets.

I feel like this time round I understand a lot more about what is happening and how to help myself. 20 years ago I didn't understand that my own thinking was making me anxious and continuing panic attacks. It's a hard slog, but I just keep telling myself that I have got through it before and I will get through it again. I do believe that meditation, therapy and medication used together does work. It also takes time and practice and patience to work. You can't go to therapy or meditate once and expect that you will be cured...you won't be. Anyone that suffers from anxiety and depression has a certain strength of character that people who don't experience are unaware of it. You have to be brace and courageous to get through this...but we all do in our way.

Lissa101
04-11-16, 11:28
I also think you are having a trial right now but that doesn't mean you will sink.

That's a really good point. We all assume when we're feeling rubbish that things are going to get worse. That's not always the case. Things can stay as they are or also get better.

Beckybecks
04-11-16, 13:52
I think every person reacts to anxiety in different ways. One set of symptoms may send one person over the edge while another may cope a little better or in a more controlled way.
It does also depend on how long you've suffered and what you've learnt along the way.
As you say Mermaid, you've coped better the second time around because you have the tools to deal with it now and more understanding, thus more control.
It's true that there's no magic formula and what works for one may not work for another. But it's definitely a combination of things and I don't believe one can just rely on medication.
At least you know that you got through it the first time so that's encouragement for you. I think depression steps in when we feel hopeless and fear that we'll never recover.

Magic
04-11-16, 13:59
Hi All and Mermaid, no your post did not upset me in that way.:)
It was me remembering.
I think I was depressed at the time. I cannot remember what tablets I was given.
I am not depressed now, just anxious. and I do take medication for it when necessary.
I do have the occasional panic as well.
When I was feeling better years ago, I joined a yoga class. That did help.
Also, under duress I was dragged out for a walk.
Now I can go out shopping on the bus by myself. Being retired I don't have the worry of getting to work. All the best x

randomforeigner
04-11-16, 15:00
My dad had something similar when I was around 11 years old, I can recall that now. It lasted for quite some time. I had to rush over to a neighbour and have her call an ambulance, I recall. It was very scary. Dad was later locked up at a ward. Urgh. He was later treated with Haloperidol.

My mum and dad ate the following:
Lanacrist
Papaverin
Valium
Paraflex comp
Trombyl
Haldol
Nitroglycerin
Heparin
Bricanyl
Propavan
Stesolid
Sobril
Mogadon
Imovane
Propavan
Cipralex

I remember all these names from my childhood, having read them on boxes as a kid.

I don't eat any pills.

I think a nervous breakdown is when you stop functioning in any ordinary sense and just left yourself drift away without caring for yourself or anybody else.

I think a nervous breakdown is when you can relate to the following "Fall of the House of Usher: Prelude - 1987 Remix".
https://open.spotify.com/track/6Xi2meC7GkuXOR8YEF82ki

almamatters
04-11-16, 16:04
My dad had something similar when I was around 11 years old, I can recall that now. It lasted for quite some time. I had to rush over to a neighbour and have her call an ambulance, I recall. It was very scary. Dad was later locked up at a ward. Urgh. He was later treated with Haloperidol.

My mum and dad ate the following:
Lanacrist
Papaverin
Valium
Paraflex comp
Trombyl
Haldol
Nitroglycerin
Heparin
Bricanyl
Propavan
Stesolid
Sobril
Mogadon
Imovane
Propavan
Cipralex

I remember all these names from my childhood, having read them on boxes as a kid.

I don't eat any pills.

I think a nervous breakdown is when you stop functioning in any ordinary sense and just left yourself drift away without caring for yourself or anybody else.

I think a nervous breakdown is when you can relate to the following "Fall of the House of Usher: Prelude - 1987 Remix".
https://open.spotify.com/track/6Xi2meC7GkuXOR8YEF82ki

I feel sad that you had to experience this with your parents when you were so young. I suppose there are lots of different ways of describing a breakdown and I think they differ in severity. Luckily mine didn't last too long and I was able to recover with the minimum amount of medication.

dale12345
04-11-16, 16:27
Thanks everyone for posting. Magic I'm sorry this post upset you. It was interesting to hear other people's opinions. I don't know if what I have experienced is a breakdown as such. Whatever it is, I have been through it twice. Now being the second time. The first time 20 years ago. I guess the first time taught me a few things. So I avoid doing them as much as possible. I have worked every day. We have a family business, so it allows me to cry and rest when I need (I am very thankful for this, as probably zero other people have been able to do this). I have had days where I get home from work and lay in bed all night until morning. I try to keep as functionable as I can because depression starts to sneak in otherwise. I think it is possible to suffer a nervous breakdown without having depression. There are days where I have been totally consumed and frantic with anxiety and have thought I couldn't bear it for another second, but I wasn't depressed, just anxious. I had the mother of all panic attacks and went to a&e. On the way there, I was sure that I would die before we made it. As soon as we walked through the door a sense of calm came over me. That night was my rock bottom and I have never let my panic escalate that high again. I hate taking medication (all 4 of them), but am trying to get better so I can reduce them. I am so tired all the time and I hate that feeling. I have started psychotherapy and have found it beneficial after only two sessions, particularly with some of the agoraphobia issues I have. I was able to drive by myself to therapy and stay there on my own. She sets tasks for me to achieve and I feel accountable to her, so I push myself to do the homework she sets.

I feel like this time round I understand a lot more about what is happening and how to help myself. 20 years ago I didn't understand that my own thinking was making me anxious and continuing panic attacks. It's a hard slog, but I just keep telling myself that I have got through it before and I will get through it again. I do believe that meditation, therapy and medication used together does work. It also takes time and practice and patience to work. You can't go to therapy or meditate once and expect that you will be cured...you won't be. Anyone that suffers from anxiety and depression has a certain strength of character that people who don't experience are unaware of it. You have to be brace and courageous to get through this...but we all do in our way.
You are an amazing women and I know you will make it threw this.