PDA

View Full Version : Do the things people say sometimes trigger your health anxiety?

Susanne81
03-11-16, 14:21
Do comments from others ever trigger your health anxiety or those intrusive, worrying what-if thoughts?

One example is when you unknowingly have an odd look on your face, someone notices and asks the question, "Are you OK?" Without knowing why the other person is asking that question, you immediately start to wonder if something is wrong.

Another example is that I joined a page for golden retriever owners on Facebook earlier this year. We all discuss our dogs and share photos of them. I posted the other day about how my 7-month-old puppy has forgotten some of the things she's learned and has been behaving badly lately - lots of not-so-gentle mouthing and nipping at my arms and ankles during our walks and occasionally at other times when she gets overly excited or rambunctious. She doesn't do it all the time, but when she does, it hurts and my arms and ankles have the marks to prove it. She also does it to other people, including my sister. We start working with a trainer next week to help her with the inappropriate mouthing and nipping.

Anyway, one of the other page members commented and said something like, "Have you considered you might have an undiagnosed health condition and that is why she is being so mouthy? Dogs are very sensitive to things like that." I don't know why, but that one remark really upset me. My mother died of brain cancer about 9 years ago and ever since, I've had health anxiety. When people make comments like that, it upsets me. That's silly of me, I know, but it does. :weep:

rainbow
03-11-16, 15:01
I totally understand what you mean. I read so much into what people say or even the way they look at me when I'm going through a bad spell. We pick up on the smallest of things and turn them into a massive over reaction. Having HA really is torture and a constant battle with your own mind.

Shelly15
03-11-16, 15:20
Yep, I hate it when I over hear people's conversations about health like once I was sat at the bus stop and 2 woman where talking to each other about how there friend had died of a cancer so then I started thinking what if I have cancer and started having a really bad panic attack. Also when people say you look pale today I instantly think oh no I'm dying!

rainbow
03-11-16, 15:23
If I see someone who looks ill I automatically wonder if the have cancer! It's like an obsession. When cancer adverts come on tv it really freaks me out.

EKB
03-11-16, 17:17
Television lately has been a trigger for me more than anything. If the show is too violent and there's lots of blood or medical procedures it gets me worked up. Body horror is out right now for sure.

I have a coworker who is kind of horrible about how she approaches other people's health. She's really fond of hyperbolizing stuff and acting like you might die. She comes out with awful stories that have no basis in reality, except in her mind.

I try to avoid her these days.

lucy216
04-11-16, 02:33
I completely understand this-- my entire family is in the healthcare industry. My mom and sister are nurses, and my extended family work at the hospital as well. Every family meal/family get togethers, its always about how anything can go wrong at any time because of this one horror story at the hospital. Its insane... wish I could avoid it but I can't. Just have to zone out.... so tough to deal with, for me.

unsure_about_this
04-11-16, 07:34
Television, media and people out and about

Family member do not talk much about their health issues when I am around because all know it will make me panic about my health even more than it is

ServerError
04-11-16, 07:42
I understand that it's hard not to be triggered, but come on guys. The world is the way it is. Disease exists. Death happens. You do have a choice about being triggered. Nobody chooses an anxiety disorder, but with treatment and the right attitude, you can take control of your response to difficult subjects.

EKB
04-11-16, 10:54
I understand that it's hard not to be triggered, but come on guys. The world is the way it is. Disease exists. Death happens. You do have a choice about being triggered. Nobody chooses an anxiety disorder, but with treatment and the right attitude, you can take control of your response to difficult subjects.

This is true, but the only way to have a choice about being triggered is to understand and acknowledge your triggers - which is what this conversation is about.

And sometimes it is helpful to avoid triggering situations, especially if there is no other use for them. For instance, I avoid talking about anything health related with this person at work because it a) makes me feel like shit and b) has absolutely zero benefit for anyone because she just wants to be a prima donna and allows her to engage in that behaviour.

Acknowledging triggers doesn't mean you're a delicate snowflake, it's a step toward being mindful about yourself and how to manage your reactions.

dale12345
04-11-16, 23:56

A agree completely. But it takes some longer than others. Some people with health anxiety had good childhoods. But when you take someone who has had a abusive childhood, and has PTSD on top of HA and OCD and depression it can take longer, I think because you always had to walk on egg shells and were always anxious, It becomes like a second nature. But what do I know thats just my opinion.

Sam Winter
05-11-16, 00:18
I get what you mean about the triggers, its like I can't hear someone say a hospital or anything death related especially when I'm eating, its just the silly part within me that thinks its bad luck, I also have a huge phobia of ambulances, can't see them, can't think about them, I can't even hear the sirens in the distance x