PDA

View Full Version : Pick up that guitar.

lifeofbrian
04-11-16, 01:33
I know a lot of people have one lying around, and for me picking it up actually stopped a panic attack.

I have been going through hell the last few weeks, the night before this happened I was at my limit, so I downloaded some anxiety apps. One of these apps had some good articles, one of which explained anxiety to me like no therapist (I've had loads) or doctor ever has.

I woke up in the morning and boom, straight into a panic attack, I was freaking out, rushing through the house getting undressed trying to get some clothes on to get out of the house, god knows what I was expecting to find out there, I just needed to flee.

I though about the article I read the night before, I tried to read through it as it gave me some comfort and understanding the night before, but I couldn't sit still, again I rushed through the house trying to think of something to calm me down, as I came back into the living room, I saw my guitar, I said out loud "******** to it", picked it up, played Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, half way through a very shaky and anxious performance, my panic was gone, two songs later my anxiety had calmed a lot.

Although it was no magic cure for anxiety, it did take my mind off my panic and reduced my anxiety to a fraction of what it was, and I was so proud that I defeated a panic attack for the first time ever.

Of course anything that you need to concentrate on will help, but of course with the added beauty of music, a guitar or other instrument can work wonders.

NoraB
07-11-16, 07:49
I said out loud "******** to it", picked it up, played Nothing Else Matters by Metallica, half way through a very shaky and anxious performance, my panic was gone, two songs later my anxiety had calmed a lot.

Excellent example of how distraction can calm you down.:yesyes:

I don't have a guitar but I could dust off little un's Bontempi and do a one fingered rendition of Three Blind Mice.:shades:

Thank you for sharing.:)

Fishmanpa
07-11-16, 12:54
I'm a professional musician (solo acoustic guitar/vocal). With the turmoil in my life right now concerning my wife's illness, I can honestly say, if it weren't for my music and performing, I probably would have lost it by now. Playing and performing has provided a much needed emotional outlet and release of stress. Looking forward to my next gig this coming Saturday :)

Positive thoughts

KeeKee
07-11-16, 13:00
I'm a professional musician (solo acoustic guitar/vocal). With the turmoil in my life right now concerning my wife's illness, I can honestly say, if it weren't for my music and performing, I probably would have lost it by now. Playing and performing has provided a much needed emotional outlet and release of stress. Looking forward to my next gig this coming Saturday :)

Positive thoughts

Hope you have a great gig.

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Life of Brian, good for you. I've no personal interest in playing instruments but I do find joy in some music and listen to it when I'm feeling crappy and although it doesn't take away my problems I do get a temporary release.

NoraB
07-11-16, 14:22

Positive thoughts

Sorry to hear about your wife but it's good that you have an outlet for the stress. My lad gigs at local pubs. He's self taught and he gets a lot out of playing. All the best for your gig on Saturday.:)

Fishmanpa
07-11-16, 14:44
There's that saying... "Music can calm the savage beast" and anxiety/stress is certainly a fire breathing dragon! Whether you play or listen, music can be and is therapeutic.

Positive thoughts

NoraB
07-11-16, 15:13
There's that saying... "Music can calm the savage beast" and anxiety/stress is certainly a fire breathing dragon! Whether you play or listen, music can be and is therapeutic.

It certainly works for me.:)

mezzaninedoor
17-11-16, 15:26
I love what music can do for people.
I wish i was more musical than I am, I have to settle for shouting and lyricist bit its not quite the same as being able to distract yourself by picking up a musical instrument.

Wishing you all well

MyNameIsTerry
17-11-16, 22:50
I love what music can do for people.
I wish i was more musical than I am, I have to settle for shouting and lyricist bit its not quite the same as being able to distract yourself by picking up a musical instrument.

Wishing you all well

You sound like you're rapping, Tony! You could be one of those rap poets. :yesyes: