PDA

View Full Version : New & anxious

UserC
04-11-16, 21:30
Hi guys

I'm new here. I have been suffering anxiety for a while, but only realised what it was 18 months ago. After trying and failing to handle it myself, today I found the courage to see my GP about it and he is referring me to a psychiatrist.

Looking back, I can see that I have had social anxiety since childhood. In the last 5 years I have also developed general and health anxiety, which have got steadily worse so that now I'm more anxious than not. The physical symptoms are worse than the worry; palpitations, hot flashes, back muscle tension, shakiness, tearfulness etc. I also think I have mild symptoms of OCD and Cyclothymia.

I feel better now I've made that first step, I was very anxious to see my GP (that'll be my social anxiety, thinking even my Dr will judge me), but I'm still freaked out about seeing a psychiatrist. If anyone could give me an idea of what to expect I would be very grateful.

venusbluejeans
04-11-16, 21:38
Hiya UserC and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

robias
04-11-16, 22:44
Hi guys

I'm new here. I have been suffering anxiety for a while, but only realised what it was 18 months ago. After trying and failing to handle it myself, today I found the courage to see my GP about it and he is referring me to a psychiatrist.

Looking back, I can see that I have had social anxiety since childhood. In the last 5 years I have also developed general and health anxiety, which have got steadily worse so that now I'm more anxious than not. The physical symptoms are worse than the worry; palpitations, hot flashes, back muscle tension, shakiness, tearfulness etc. I also think I have mild symptoms of OCD and Cyclothymia.

I feel better now I've made that first step, I was very anxious to see my GP (that'll be my social anxiety, thinking even my Dr will judge me), but I'm still freaked out about seeing a psychiatrist. If anyone could give me an idea of what to expect I would be very grateful.

Hi UserC,

Not in the same country but I bit the bullet to see my GP a month ago after 8 years of panic attacks. I was met with genuine concern and support. Not an in and out of the surgery type, took time to listen, discuss and ask questions. He answered a lot of my daft questions too.

UserC
04-11-16, 22:52
Hi UserC,

Not in the same country but I bit the bullet to see my GP a month ago after 8 years of panic attacks. I was met with genuine concern and support. Not an in and out of the surgery type, took time to listen, discuss and ask questions. He answered a lot of my daft questions too.

Hey! I'm British, just living in Switzerland. Health care system a bit different here (private so no NHS wait times) but I guess treatment will be similar. My GP was nice, probably should have gone to see him a lot sooner.

robias
05-11-16, 22:26
thats how I felt about the seeing them sooner! Hope seeing the psychiatrist helps. Being in the UK I'm still on a waiting list for one to one support whatever that will be.