PDA

View Full Version : I have been having brain fog and just took an online Cognitive test and was below avg

Dave_Lister
04-11-16, 22:57
Hi everyone.

I am 41 and I have been having anxiety for a while as you can see from my posts. I have been having brain fog, and I took an online test, and scored below average for my age. Can this be due to depression and anxiety?

I am scared about these results because I worry about Alzheimers

MyNameIsTerry
04-11-16, 23:14
Yes, definitely. Remember that your neurotransmitters are affected by anxiety or depression. In terms of Serotonin alone that means it will impact on your memory functioning as that neurotransmitter is involved in such processes.

I've walked miles and then wondered how I got there because I couldn't remember elements of the journey. I've walked out of a supermarket without paying because someone had distracted me and I had bad brain fog that day. I've struggled to remember words, been unable to do basic maths (and my job for years involved lots of much more complex calculations)

You have a reason - brain fog. So, that's evidence of something affecting your cognition. Now think about something anyone could have and see how they would fail a cognition test. How about a hangover? Surely you would struggle then when you feel like your heads up your bum? ...and a hangover affects neurotransmitters too.

Dave_Lister
04-11-16, 23:31
Thanks Terry,

I know I have anxiety and OCD tendencies, but this scares me. I am getting a ct scan on my sinuses and brain at the end of the month. I am only 41 and this brain fog is really effecting me.

Elen
04-11-16, 23:39
Dave you appear to be looking for tests for various conditions.

Do you have the knowledge to test the validity of these tests?

Do you have the knowledge to interpret the results?

Going down the road of home tests and then asking for re-assurance is going to keep the HA cycle going.

Terry did you not have links for a good HA based CBT site. Dave was asking on an earlier thread but I couldnt find the link.

MyNameIsTerry
05-11-16, 00:18
This is the one I get all my stuff off, Elen. I know people on here use the CCI HA workbooks as I've seen people like Annie recommending them.

http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html