PDA

View Full Version : Broken bones.

Sam Winter
05-11-16, 00:13
This is more a rant than anything but basically my newest phpbia seems to be broken bones and I just can't seem to shake it, everytime my joints click or I land on them I have to thoroughly check them out in case any bone is out of place or snapped, i did the same thing literally a minute ago when i got my foot tangled in my phone charger and ripped it out the plug socket, now I have a red mark and pretty sore pain and i definitely won't be sleeping as I'm scared that its broken rather than whiplashed or something, its just frustrating that you make progress in one thing but take steps back in another, i can't seem to atop the irrational fear of whether something is fractured and its starting to effect my be loved horse work and even general sports or activity, i guess I'm just kinda feeling low at the mo :weep:

FlightlessFlamingo
05-11-16, 01:18
Have you broken a bone before? I ask this because I have only ever broken a tiny bone in my foot (hairline fracture, didn't even need a cast or anything) and the pain was unreal when it happened. It's like you absolutely KNOW that something has 'cracked' in there, rather than just wondering if it has and worrying about. I also would have thought that any fracture that was in any way dangerous would stop you from even being able to move from the pain. My foot was completely healed in about 6 weeks and I could walk easily on it before that. I know it's easy for me to say this to you, because it is your fear and not mine, but is 6 weeks of hobbling around or having a cast on your arm really that life changing? Think of it as an extended holiday/rest IF it were to ever happen.

Sam Winter
08-11-16, 00:46
Thanks very much for the reply! x I guess my fear is that I've never broken a bone before(well I have fractured my tailbone a little in the past I'm not sure if that counts) so I don't know how it hurts and how much, its the same as my knee right now, it doesn't make any sense but I'm scared because I just have this vision that if I don't work out its a broken bone it will just kill me ect, its hard but that's me haha x

Scaredlady
08-11-16, 04:11
There's nothing to fear from a broken bone (in most cases) so really if you broke both legs and both arms tomorrow you'd make a full recovery with no lasting life changing consequences.

Even if you broke your knee per your example and you were somehow unaware that it was broken (which is unlikely) it wouldn't kill you, you'd survive to fight another day. However, I am aware that logic and rationale are "luxuries" that those of us with anxiety feel mentally unable to apply and therefore small things are magnified to the point of disasters.

You'll be alright, broken bones or not - What was your previous phobia?

Sam Winter
08-11-16, 08:37
It kind of switches between a couple, I'll have a particular while where I'm terrified of breaking a bone, then afraid of choking, and appendicitis ect, x

SLA
08-11-16, 08:56
What do you like to do when you're not focussing on your imaginary ailments?

Sam Winter
08-11-16, 14:38
I don't have many hobbies that don't involve being in my room or on a laptop to be honest haha!, I do obviously work with horses if you couldn't tell but that's about it, I have my first intense therapy session on the 16th but I'm bricking it if I'm honest x