PDA

View Full Version : JSA or ESA advice

steph25
05-11-16, 11:51
Hello,

I don't really know where to start, for the last 10 years I've been struggling with anxiety and depression and I've really struggled. I only went to the doctors last year for anxiety and they've managed to help me a bit.

The anxiety I've suffered from is over different things. I had a lot of health anxiety which I've managed to get control of but I also have social anxiety and my Mum thinks I have a bit of agoraphobia as well. I'm not on any medication because quite simply, I can't afford it.

I have had no job for 10 years (since the age of 18) because I've become anxious and depressed. I have tried to carve out an online career but because I'm depressed and want to sleep all the time, that's gone no where.

I really really want to sort myself out and I've only got £5 left in the bank so I decided I need to try and get onto JSA, get some free prescriptions to try and control the anxiety and depression and get on with my life.

I applied for JSA and have an appointment on Tuesday. I'm terrified, it's an hour away on the bus, I don't really know how to get there and I feel like I'm going to be sick and it's not even Tuesday yet.

I don't even know if I can get JSA because my boyfriend (who I live with and have done for 5 years) earns quite a bit of money but we live in London and it all goes on rent, food, bills, his travel into work etc. At the end of the month we have no money left and he doesn't have enough to give me so I can get to interviews and stuff. I'm in such a mess and not sure what to do, I've got no money, I feel so anxious about Tuesday and if I'm honest, I don't think they're going to be very helpful - I've only heard bad things.

My Mum thinks I should apply for ESA, the problem is I've not been honest with my doctor about everything, she knows about anxiety but not the depression. I also don't know if my case would be strong enough to get ESA. I just don't know what to do, any advice?

Steve30
06-11-16, 12:15
In regards to ESA.

I am currently putting a claim in for chronic anxiety. It sounds very possible you could be entitled to ESA but as i'm finding out now, it is very tricky.

Anxiety and depression go hand in hand, so therefore saying about it to your GP seems it wont come as a surprise to them. The first step is to tell them, explain how you dont feel capable of work at the moment and ask if they could issue you with a sick ("fit") note.

Then you will have to apply for ESA over the phone. It's like talking to a robot, they literally just fill in the form for you.

A few days later you get a confirmation pack in the post explaining what you need to send in (bank statements, p45, proof of tenancy).

What I will say is 2 things...

1) You probably will be claiming income related ESA (as you havent worked for 10 years so havent paid enough in to claim contribution based ESA). Your boyfriends earnings will be taken into consideration for this as you live with him, and if he's earning too much, you will get very little or no ESA at all.

2) It's highly likely that after the assessment phase (13 weeks of being paid around £75 per week) and you are called in for an assessment, you will be declared as fit to work. Too often mental health problems are not understood by the assessors and they wrongly declare people as fit to work.

If that happens, you will have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration (your money is stopped during this time. It could take months for them to respond to this). Then if they still say you are fit to work, take it to a tribunal where in the build up to that, you get the pre assessment rate again.

The path for ESA is a long battle, but equally, it will be tough with claiming JSA as they eventually make you sign on every week and put you under more pressure.

steph25
07-11-16, 20:29
Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. That's what my worry has been all this time - nobody takes anxiety or depression seriously. I will go through everything you've said - that's a lot of help!

I hope it all goes well for you too and you manage to get it sorted, it can be a nightmare and I find it makes my anxiety a lot worse.