PDA

View Full Version : Beta blockers taken as needed

nigela
05-11-16, 12:48
Hi all
I have fibro symptoms and ectopic beats and given low dose biso. Do any of you take this just as and when needed? Does it also help anxiety feelings
thanks

Catherine S
05-11-16, 16:05
Bisoprolol? Yes I was given these last year instead of propranolol, and they suit me really well I have to say. I take 40mg once a day, and I take them every day because without them the ectopics would be quite bad. My doctor suffers with ectopic beats too and he also takes Bisoprolol for his so i'm in good company!

ISB :)

Pipkin
05-11-16, 18:36
I take propranolol 40 mg as needed and they are excellent at reducing the physical symptoms of anxiety. When really bad, I take 40 mg, 3 times a day. I can feel the anxiety reducing after 30 mins or so. They are a godsend!

Pip

nigela
06-11-16, 12:22
Thanks for that. just hope they don't make me more dizzy or anxious!

SLA
06-11-16, 12:48
They are brilliant, and I take them when I anticpate anxiety coming on.

jax12
06-11-16, 14:15
I take propranolol 10mg 3 times a day and yes they are a godsend,I take them as well as paroxetine. Can you take them just as u need them or can you stop and start,reduce ect. Reading the pack it tells me u have to keep taking them as prescribed and not to stop without a doctors advice. Not picking I would just like to know how others take them. Thanks.

Catherine S
06-11-16, 16:10
Jax, I think it's ok to take them as and when needed if your doctor says so at the point of prescribing them. It probably depends on the type of anxiety and level of intensity suffered. Most people need to take them every day and that's when it's advisable to talk to the doctor about coming off them.

Fortunately beta blockers are not mind-altering drugs like tranquilisers for example as they only control adrenaline, but because of this they do make you feel more relaxed, so if taken every day, t's always best to ask the doctor about reducing the dose prior to coming off them altogether, and then if your anxiety is more or less under control you could just take them when needed.

ISB x