PDA

View Full Version : Carcinophobia (Fear of Developing Cancer)

lessthanjared
05-11-16, 23:34
Can anybody else relate to this?

My name is Jared, and I'm 18 years old (definitely not the age where you should be concerned about cancer). I realize that this specific fear is more of a trait of a hypochondriac than of an HA sufferer, so bear with me here. Recently, I developed a bout of HA which led me to believe that I had developed Lymphoma. Although I have shaken this fear by now, it led to a change in the way I think. Previous to my struggles with HA, I had never really given cancer a thought considering its low prevalence among young people. Now that I have spent a lot of time researching and thinking about it, it has consumed my life. Not a day goes by in which I don't think about the fact that I (or my loved ones) could develop cancer. This fear is becoming all too real now due to the fact that my parents are getting older and thus becoming more susceptible to cancer. I can't stand the thought of watching my mother deal with such a thing, and it tears me apart. I've changed my daily habits (diet, exercise, etc.) to accommodate, which you could argue is a good thing, but it seems that everything I do/think about ends in the question "could this be giving me cancer?".

My mind has been my own worst enemy for my entire life, as long as I can remember at least, but this is the most debilitating its ever been. Not an hour passes by where I don't think about me or my loved ones developing cancer. It's ruining my life. Its also contributed significantly to my depression. It's almost gotten to the point that I no longer want to live anymore because of the harsh reality that we as humans can potentially have to go through. It makes me very depressed and lethargic, and some days I don't even want to get out of bed because I just don't want to think about the harsh circumstance of reality anymore.

Does anybody have any input? I'm about at my wits end and this is no way to live. Thanks for reading.

Catherine S
05-11-16, 23:56
Hi Jared,

One of the worst aspects of health anxiety is worrying about something that might never ever happen, to either yourself or a member of your family. But life is such that it potentially could happen. I personally had a morbid fear of heart disease, mostly because this was actually in the family, so when I started to suffer with missed heartbeats and heart flutters I was floored, and thought my time was up. This was in my 20s and i'm now in my 60s and still experience the missed beats and flutters...over 40 years of them, and i'm still here living my life. Yes they are uncomfortable and I take beta blockers to reduce their impact but even though I feel them physically and they are really happening, they are not harmful, only uncomfortable so I take the meds as I would for a migraine for example.

What I'm trying to say, and not very well sorry, is don't waste your life worrying about an illness that hasn't yet happened and more than likely won't happen.

ISB x

lessthanjared
06-11-16, 00:19
Hi Jared,

One of the worst aspects of health anxiety is worrying about something that might never ever happen, to either yourself or a member of your family. But life is such that it potentially could happen. I personally had a morbid fear of heart disease, mostly because this was actually in the family, so when I started to suffer with missed heartbeats and heart flutters I was floored, and thought my time was up. This was in my 20s and i'm now in my 60s and still experience the missed beats and flutters...over 40 years of them, and i'm still here living my life. Yes they are uncomfortable and I take beta blockers to reduce their impact but even though I feel them physically and they are really happening, they are not harmful, only uncomfortable so I take the meds as I would for a migraine for example.

What I'm trying to say, and not very well sorry, is don't waste your life worrying about an illness that hasn't yet happened and more than likely won't happen.

ISB x

thank you for your input. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that supposedly half of people develop cancer throughout their lifetime.

can't help but feel like i'm the unlucky half.

Catherine S
06-11-16, 00:46
I understand, and also as many develop heart disease over their lifetime too, but i'd be in a pretty bad way if i'd kept my fear of it going for the last 40 years! There are people on the forum who have battled through cancer and survived. Yes you may be unlucky to be one of them in the future, but chances are you won't be.

ISB x

HarrietVanger
06-11-16, 09:51
'In general, people with health anxiety tend to overestimate the likelihood that they have a serious health problem and underestimate their ability to cope with such a problem.'

Hey Jared,

I was the same when I was your age. I'm 26 now and still pretty much terrified of getting cancer. Been working very hard to change that. I've diagnosed myself with all sorts of cancers (among other things) over the years.
My advice to you is to try to understand your health anxiety, how it works and the best way to deal with it: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53 I found these extremely helpful, particularly module 3.

Most people who suffer from HA end up living their whole lives inside their heads so do whatever you can to keep busy and make the most of your days. Just be present :).

unsure_about_this
06-11-16, 20:37
Cancer is my number #1 fear, followed by heart disease and failure very high much on my list of worries.

ElleNicole
07-11-16, 14:03
Hi Jared I am a 22 year old female and cancer is my biggest fear too! It all started when my grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer when I was 18. I have pretty much diagnosed myself with every cancer and i'm currently suffering through my latest diagnosis of myself.