PDA

View Full Version : Blocked/muffled ears

Nicnac5
06-11-16, 21:08
Hi All,

This is my first post so sorry if I do it wrong!

For the past few months I have noticed a slight blockage in my ears which has worsened over time. 80% of the time when I swallow I hear a "clicking" sound in my ear. I notice the muffled/blocked ears are worse when i first wake up, or bizarrely if I talk excessively?? I clean my ears regularly and my doctor said there is no build up, so now I am starting to worry!

ServerError
06-11-16, 21:32
Your doctor says there's no blockage, so I'd suggest worrying is the opposite of what you should be doing. It sounds to me like you've latched onto normal ear sensations and become hypersensitised to them, and this is creating a worry cycle.

EKB
06-11-16, 22:45
Probably nothing to worry about, but might not hurt to bring it up at your next dentist appointment. If your jaw is a bit out of whack you can often feel/hear it in the ears. It's no big deal, but your dentist might be able to set you up with a night guard or other strategies to assist. I find if I'm clenching in my sleep, I feel it in my ears the next morning. Of course, the primary solution to clenching is trying to relax! So some techniques there in the meantime might go a long way to helping you. :)

Nicnac5
06-11-16, 23:35
Hi EKB! That would make sense as I also seem to have developed a scalloped tongue which would be caused by clenching! I was worried about my tongue too but the forums I have read on here have eased my anxiety a little. Will speak to my dentist next time :)