PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam prescribed until I see Doc(tomorrow) psychiatrist(soon)

Fudge2236
07-11-16, 07:11
Hi all. I've been struggling with PTSD and everything that goes with it. I own a successful business and most times I struggle to leave the house even for a shift.

I've been given a 5 day course of 2mg Diazepam(nothing new as been on before. Tomorrow I see my Psychiatrist who hopefully will prescribe something(was Doctors view)

I find it helps and tan take the edge off anxiety/sickly panic and allow me to get on with life. I'm lucky I have full support of my partner. Slept well last night due to meds.

I work in private medical and just wanted to assure folks as most are short prescriptions not to worry and take as doctor states, any worries you can call your surgery and they can help.

Long story short I do need Anti-Anxiety medication even if only 2mg so I can function, leave the house and get on with my company. I see the Psychiatrist on the 22 I see GP tomorrow and hope they will prescribe same to tide me over, please with me luck

Fudge

Bigboyuk
07-11-16, 16:09
Hey Fudge good luck and let us know ho you get on :)

skymaid
07-11-16, 16:45
good luck :)

Fudge2236
10-11-16, 04:55
Little update. I got on very well. Dr prescribed me 2 weeks worth of 2mg Diazepam x3 per day. Have a follow up same morning they run out also timed so well, that when I come out I go up elevator to meet my Psychiatrist who I'm sure will prescribe something for me.

In the couple of days I've been on them, I've been able to leave the house and also visit family and go out for dinner etc.

Feel like myself again, shame they're only prescribed short term due to addiction risks(I have a private ambulance company so well aware of dangers). That being said I'm already dependant to pain medication that I take twice daily for spinal fractures that will not heal so it's nothing new to me.

Maybe because it's low doses I may be allowed to continue on them, or have a prescription for ones to take as required for emergency use. Rather than x3 a day

Still not sleeping but I'm sure the Psychiatrist will prescribe something for that when she sees me as the GP admitted mental health is not her speciality.

Will keep this updated and thank you for all the support I love this place.

dally
10-11-16, 07:21
I'm glad you are aware of the dangers of tolerance or addiction to any benzodiazepines. Have a look at professor Ashton's web site.
I took 2-4 the valium TWICE a week to help with graded exposure therapy and became tolerant/addicted to them.
It is a fact that the body starts to become tolerant to the effects of the drug after 2-4 weeks continual use and then an increased dose is required in order to maintain the anti-anxiety effect. However, hopefully other anti-anxiety measures will be taught/used at this time, ie cbt. mindfulness. Which will negate the long-term continued used of valium

In my experience valium is a very effective and useful drug taken in the short term (2,-4 weeks) only.
With proper supervision from a doctor educated in its addiction potential, withdrawal can be achieved successfully. It is NOT a drug that should be taken long term.
Most doctors then prefer to prescribe Ads.

susie
10-11-16, 07:29
hi i hope you get all the help you deserve ,i also see a psyciatrist tommorow somthing my gp fought hard for like you my anxiety has been going through the roof no sleep and cant go out alone .like you my gp gave me diazipam 5mg 3 times a day i only take 2 not the ideal drug but atleast i sleep ,let us know how you get on good luck:)

Bigboyuk
10-11-16, 12:50
So do I And if you can go down say a herbal route to help you sleep then great!! The less chemicals in your system the better foir you"! Hey glad there is some marked improvement keep up the good work and thanks for the update:)

dally
10-11-16, 21:59
Propanalol helped me. It is a beta blocker and reduces adrenaline.
Unfortunately. It cannot be used if you have asthma or low bp.

Also OTC sedating antihistamines are useful as sleeping tablets.

pulisa
11-11-16, 08:32
It would be so helpful if there were a non-addictive alternative to diazepam out there which worked straightaway. Propanolol did nothing for me at all and I'd never take antipsychotics again.

I wish you luck and continued good and steady progress. It takes time to get better but you are definitely on the right path

skymaid
11-11-16, 11:01
prop did nothing for me either.

some people on various boards say pregabalin has a similar effect as diazepam (and not addictive) but unfortunately it doesn't for me so far anyway. Also it takes 60-90 mins to work but then diazepam takes 20-30 which is actually fairly useless for me too since panic attacks usually peak and start to fade by 30mins.