PDA

View Full Version : Schizophrenia:( :( bel

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 07:33
Hi again:)

I'm terrified I'm in the pre psychosis stage of schizophrenia.

I'm experience lack of motivation
Easily confused at times
Constant worry
Strange/deep thoughts (but i know their strange)
I feel like when I look at something my brain doesn't process it very quickly
I can't visualise places I have been in the past as well in my head
Lack of focus/concerntration
Everything is too much for my eyes when I'm outside in a way
Just generally don't feel myself

But have been told multiple times its just anxiety!!??

And comments will be appreciative (positive)

:( I'm losing it

SLA
07-11-16, 08:10
Definitely anxiety related.

I think you're expecting too much of yourself! A lot of those things are normal day to day feeelings for everyone.

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 08:14
Definitely anxiety related.

I think you're expecting too much of yourself! A lot of those things are normal day to day feeelings for everyone.

Thankyou.

But what I don't understand is. Why does everyone say if you are going schizophrenic you wouldn't know it?

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 08:15
Why have you started another thread? And what can be said on this one that hasn't been said on the other?

Please read through the existing advice, you're showing no signs of anything scary, but look after your anxiety before it takes over.

Lets be fair, the other thread has gone off at a tangent. It would be best that was buried but I agree that the help given is very important on there.

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 08:16
Why have you started another thread? And what can be said on this one that hasn't been said on the other?

Please read through the existing advice, you're showing no signs of anything scary, but look after your anxiety before it takes over.

Do you not think any of my signs that I listed are scary?

---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

Lets be fair, the other thread has gone off at a tangent. It would be best that was buried but I agree that the help given is very important on there.

How can I tell what I am feeling is anxiety though

I can't explain it ahahah :/

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 08:22
Thankyou.

But what I don't understand is. Why does everyone say if you are going schizophrenic you wouldn't know it?

Because they are talking about delusion and psychosis. Those episodes are 100% believed by the sufferer. A common example in delusion is believing you have a 3rd arm. Someone suffering this delusion will completely believe it and argue against any medical evidence to the contrary. The 10 most qualified doctors in the world could stand in front of that person with as big mirror and they would see 3 arms.

That's why people in those states need meds to help them.

There is a guy on here with HA who has a brother who experiences episodes of psychosis. He has talked about it, and it's effects on his anxiety. His brother believed people were trying to get him and he was ranting at them on social media. They hadn't done anything and the police were involved. His brother was 100% convinced. He was sectioned, medicated and then this stopped.

That's what psychosis looks like.

You won't find anyone on here with delusions with a HA content. They totally believe them, why would they be asked "do you think I have X" when they totally accept they have?

When you are lost to these episodes, you aren't thinking as you are now. You will be chasing whatever the episode is.

I think I noticed BrokenAge comment on your last thread. He has a friend who has been through a paranoid episode and he knows how very different it is to the scenarios those with schizophrenia worries have.

Things like schizophrenia are not only determined by these episodes, doctors look for clues in how you think and how you talk. They look for broken speech and strange rambling that has no bearing on anything, or even the first part of the sentence from the person themselves.

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 08:36
Ahhhh

Ok. But what about the 'negative symptoms'

Like lack of motivation and the 'flat' effect etc

Would you not know these were happening either

Because when I started to believe I had these negative effects I started to 'wait' for the delusions etc.

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 08:46
Lack of motivation and feeling flat are two of the most common ones you will hear from someone with depression. You would know these were happening because you will feel pretty awful because of them. Otherwise, no one with depression would be able to understand what they were feeling. And then anxiety causes these too from being overwhelmed from being so on edge that the body ends up needing time to recovery, so you can have down periods. People who have panic attacks or high levels of anxiety talk of this a lot, and they can experience DP/DR because of it like I mentioned on your other thread.

All the symptoms you mentioned above, I've had, and many more. And I'll stake my life on most of the people, if not all of them, on this website saying the same to you.

They are symptoms. There are many more you may experience. I've been hear a couple of years now and look at probably every thread about schizophrenia and everyone says all this and yet not a single one has ever gone any become anything more. Ask the HA guys on here about the thousands of people who fear a cancer, and how many have ever experienced what they were fearing - the answer is always somewhere between a couple of people (who are doing fine per the person I know has said this) to zero.

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 08:52
Lack of motivation and feeling flat are two of the most common ones you will hear from someone with depression. You would know these were happening because you will feel pretty awful because of them. Otherwise, no one with depression would be able to understand what they were feeling. And then anxiety causes these too from being overwhelmed from being so on edge that the body ends up needing time to recovery, so you can have down periods. People who have panic attacks or high levels of anxiety talk of this a lot, and they can experience DP/DR because of it like I mentioned on your other thread.

All the symptoms you mentioned above, I've had, and many more. And I'll stake my life on most of the people, if not all of them, on this website saying the same to you.

They are symptoms. There are many more you may experience. I've been hear a couple of years now and look at probably every thread about schizophrenia and everyone says all this and yet not a single one has ever gone any become anything more. Ask the HA guys on here about the thousands of people who fear a cancer, and how many have ever experienced what they were fearing - the answer is always somewhere between a couple of people (who are doing fine per the person I know has said this) to zero.

But my question is. How do I know it's not schizophrenia

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

*the start of schizophrenia

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 09:01
Why would it be?

You had a brain tumour worry before. Why was it going to be a brain tumour?

Why can't it be something else? Why can't it be one of the many anxiety or mood disorders?

So, what is about what you are experiencing that is unique to schizophrenia? I can't see anything.

SLA
07-11-16, 09:04
Because its not, quite simply.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

How do I know I am not actually a dog inside a very elaborate human costume?

Because nothing remotely points to that being the case.

Except maybe a touch of bad breath.

Colicab85
07-11-16, 09:16
None of it, the things you have mentioned are pretty unique to Anxiety and Depression.

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 09:20
Because its not, quite simply.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

How do I know I am not actually a dog inside a very elaborate human costume?

Because nothing remotely points to that being the case.

Except maybe a touch of bad breath.

I wish I was my dog! He's got relaxation mastered to a fine art! :D

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 10:17
Ok guys. Thankyou!!

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

Ok so just to clirify. Because it makes me feel better:)

Would I not be aware if I had schizophrenia

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 10:49
That really won't help you, it's reassurance seeking. We've already answered it, you see, and it's the anxiety pushing you to get an absolute answer. This is known as all-or-nothing thinking or black & white thinking as you may have heard (also dichotomous reasoning). Your subconscious is demanding a box to be ticked but this isn't possible because what will happen is it will just introduce doubt to undermine it and you end up chasing the answers again. It's a trap.

What matters now is - based on what we've all just said what do you think is the answer to your last question?

I could easily say "no, you that is not schizophrenia" but I know it won't achieve anything as it will take time for you to work on your anxiety and accept it. That's just how it is. And besides, how long will it be before your subconscious triggers you again or finds a crack in your logic e.g. none of us are qualified to answer the question anyway?

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 11:24
Ok so I don't have it.... cool

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

No one has said I don't have schizophrenia:(

FlightlessFlamingo
07-11-16, 11:36
Would it matter if they did? I'm guessing no one who has commented is a psychiatrist and even if they were, they can't diagnose you on the internet. Which in equal measure means that no one can say "no you don't, or won't ever get schizophrenia". If you don't trust your doctor why would you trust us?

Gary A
07-11-16, 11:38
Ok so I don't have it.... cool

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 ----------

No one has said I don't have schizophrenia:(

Yes they have, repeatedly. Oh, and just to clarify, you do not have schitzophrenia.

FlightlessFlamingo
07-11-16, 11:38
Also, can I just point out that in the same comment, YOU have said that you don't have it.

MyNameIsTerry
07-11-16, 11:41
No one can say we have anxiety or a common cold, only the trained can but we can work with each other to look at the symptoms of our worries and our behaviour to see it is possible and obviously look at just how much more possible it is that it is anxiety.

What Flamingo has just said reminds me of another poster a while back who wanted an absolute answer he would never experience psychosis. That's not possible because anyone could in their life time. It's like asking me if he would ever be run over by a car or a bird poo on his head.

This is where the anxious mind needs challenging. We work on our thoughts by learning how to not fall into the traps that our Cognitive Distortions pose. Thinking in absolutes can never work in life, it's mostly shades of grey.

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 12:03
No one can say we have anxiety or a common cold, only the trained can but we can work with each other to look at the symptoms of our worries and our behaviour to see it is possible and obviously look at just how much more possible it is that it is anxiety.

What Flamingo has just said reminds me of another poster a while back who wanted an absolute answer he would never experience psychosis. That's not possible because anyone could in their life time. It's like asking me if he would ever be run over by a car or a bird poo on his head.

This is where the anxious mind needs challenging. We work on our thoughts by learning how to not fall into the traps that our Cognitive Distortions pose. Thinking in absolutes can never work in life, it's mostly shades of grey.

But you say I have no real reason to fear both a brain tumour and schizophrenia

Which are the 2 things I worry about

Gary A
07-11-16, 12:27
But you say I have no real reason to fear both a brain tumour and schizophrenia

Which are the 2 things I worry about

Are you actually taking any note of what's being said to you? You have been told clearly and concisely that you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think you have either of these illnesses, but you seem to throw a "yeah but..." at every piece of advice that you're given.

You don't have any reason to believe you have either a brain tumour or schizophrenia. It really is that simple.

Fishmanpa
07-11-16, 12:38
(In my best echoey Deep Booming God voice...Think the voice of God in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)...

"Ljthompson... Ljthompson..... You do not have schizophrenia. You have a raging case of anxiety. Now go dear child and seek the Holy Grail of professional mental health help for thy life is before you and I only give you one to live. Do not waste it on irrational impossibilities".

Holy and as always....

Positive thoughts

Ljthompson10
07-11-16, 18:43
[QUOTE=Fishmanpa;1611617](In my best echoey Deep Booming God voice...Think the voice of God in Monty Python and the Holy Grail)...

"Ljthompson... Ljthompson..... You do not have schizophrenia. You have a raging case of anxiety. Now go dear child and seek the Holy Grail of professional mental health help for thy life is before you and I only give you one to live. Do not waste it on irrational impossibilities".

Holy and