PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy on Nov. 19 - Major anxiety!

FrankC
07-11-16, 18:50
Hey folks,

Just posting up about my upcoming colonoscopy on Nov. 19th. Very fearful as I did have a positive sample (out of 3) when I did the fecal occult screening.

My gp has been supportive and says it could be a variety of causes but I can't help but be afraid. I do have a sensitive stomach and really want to be checked out for IBS as many times there is undigested food when I do the deed (including red pieces that freak me out).

Hard to get through a day at this point and a couple times had to take an Atavan to calm me down.

For those that have gone through it ... how long does recovery take? Do you usually get the results at that time?

Thanks for listening.

rainbow
07-11-16, 20:01
Hi, has your gp said what he thinks the cause is? I turned 50 this year and am expecting my bowel testing kit very soon. I am really anxious about the results. My gums bleed a fair bit so I'm sure that mine will come back positive.

I have noticed red things in my stool over the past few years which I assume and hope is food related. I understand your fear, I'm sure I will need to go through with a colonoscopy at some time in the near future.

Kay8010
07-11-16, 20:28
Hi Frankc

I have had a colonoscopy nearly 3 weeks ago and from my experience for the last 3 months were IBS symptoms including red smears on tp. Here in the UK the GI will give you the initial results of the colonoscopy after the procedure on the day and biopsies are most certainly always taken whilst they are in there for a diagnosis if there is no apparent reason for symptoms, recovery is within 24 hours, i would say the 24hr prep before the procedure is not uncomfortable just inconvenient.

Luckily my procedure was normal and 5 biopsies taken, the results of the initial biopsies were no significant abnormalities but I have to see the GI again on Dec 1st to discuss them in more detail.

I was severely anxious, you can see my posts on the site but I am so glad I had the procedure, huge weight lifted, even though my sysmptoms are slightly better, not 100% normal I have faith that ive had the procedure and they saw nothing sinister

I am sure all will be well. Let us know what the outcome is

FrankC
07-11-16, 20:54
Hi, has your gp said what he thinks the cause is? I turned 50 this year and am expecting my bowel testing kit very soon. I am really anxious about the results. My gums bleed a fair bit so I'm sure that mine will come back positive.

I have noticed red things in my stool over the past few years which I assume and hope is food related. I understand your fear, I'm sure I will need to go through with a colonoscopy at some time in the near future.

Hi, there were no specific suggestions provided by my gp. Just said it could be a number of things including a false positive. He did suggest IBS when I last saw him.

Good luck.

Capercrohnj
07-11-16, 20:58
Colonoscopies are not bad at all. I get one every year as I have a bowel disease. My gi gives his general impression but I have to wait a while for in depth analysis.

FrankC
07-11-16, 21:00
Hi Frankc

I have had a colonoscopy nearly 3 weeks ago and from my experience for the last 3 months were IBS symptoms including red smears on tp. Here in the UK the GI will give you the initial results of the colonoscopy after the procedure on the day and biopsies are most certainly always taken whilst they are in there for a diagnosis if there is no apparent reason for symptoms, recovery is within 24 hours, i would say the 24hr prep before the procedure is not uncomfortable just inconvenient.

Luckily my procedure was normal and 5 biopsies taken, the results of the initial biopsies were no significant abnormalities but I have to see the GI again on Dec 1st to discuss them in more detail.

I was severely anxious, you can see my posts on the site but I am so glad I had the procedure, huge weight lifted, even though my sysmptoms are slightly better, not 100% normal I have faith that ive had the procedure and they saw nothing sinister

I am sure all will be well. Let us know what the outcome is

Thanks for your reply Kay. That information is very helpful. I am happy for you that the outcome was positive. I just can't see my anxiety improving until I get this behind me (no pun intended lol)

On Monday of next week, the prep process begins with some dietary restrictions, then the laxatives followed by the 24hr prep with something called PegLyte.

I will post updates for sure. It's just nice having some company on this journey.

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Colonoscopies are not bad at all. I get one every year as I have a bowel disease. My gi gives his general impression but I have to wait a while for in depth analysis.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It definitely provides me with some comfort. I wish you all the best with your health and recovery.

Capercrohnj
07-11-16, 21:03
Oh undigested food isn't uncommon. Our bodies can't digest insoluble fiber.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Thanks! I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow to evaluate a Crohn's complication tomorrow in order to determine if it can be surgically corrected (I am really hoping it can!). I'm super anxious about it.

FrankC
07-11-16, 21:22
Oh undigested food isn't uncommon. Our bodies can't digest insoluble fiber.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Thanks! I'm actually having an MRI tomorrow to evaluate a Crohn's complication tomorrow in order to determine if it can be surgically corrected (I am really hoping it can!). I'm super anxious about it.

Positive vibes inbound. Hope you get good news.

anxious848
17-11-16, 19:17
How are you feeling FrankC? just checking in :)

Capercrohnj
19-11-16, 14:19
How did it go?

FrankC
21-11-16, 17:21
@anxious848 and @Capercrohnj Thanks so much for following up.

And a big thanks for the support everyone has shown me through this process.

I had the procedure Saturday around 1pm. Two polyps were removed near the rectum that the surgeon said were completely benign. But he said the risk is now higher and requires greater diligence. So, his recommendation is to have another in 3 years. Was really hoping to get on the 10 year plan lol.

As he said, this is the value of screening. If I didn't act within 5 years things could be much worse.

anxious you are so right... the prep was worse than the procedure. PegLyte is the devil! Fortunately your recommendations on the Gatorade and Jello made it possible.

Certainly some relief and lessened anxiety but I want to improve my diet going forward. If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

Frank

anxious848
22-11-16, 00:18
FrankC - so happy to hear everything turned out okay! The 3 year screenings are a pain in the a$s literally but better those than having the big C!!

I'm so glad the jello and gatorade worked for you! It's really not a fun process but honestly I found it more of nuisance than anything. Now...if they could just make that liquid taste better!

I was thinking about how things went for you over the weekend. I'm really glad to hear it!! Hope you can put your mind at ease now :)

Capercrohnj
22-11-16, 02:42
Great news! I get yearly colonoscopies but I rather know what's going on with my crohn's and my colon in general (i also get polyps) than leaving it up to date.