PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

Jessicasmummy
07-11-16, 21:48
After attending my gp again today regarding a breast lump she has gave me setraline and said she'll try and get me a quicker appointment at the breast clinic if she can I just want to ask if anyone knows a way I can stop poking and prodding? I've not touched it at all today but tempted to! I just want to try and put it to the back of my mind until i get my appointment through

Fishmanpa
07-11-16, 21:52
Bottom line is self control kiddo... It's not like you can lock your boobs in a closet right? :D Maybe get yourself one of those stress relief balls so you'll have something to do with your hands. Squeeze that instead!

Positive thoughts

Jessicasmummy
08-11-16, 09:12
Thank you. I know haha I'm actually leaving my brain most of the time to stop me doing it

SLA
08-11-16, 09:15
Maybe ask yourself what prodding and poking is going to achieve?

It's not going to change anything!

Best of luck with the appointment.

Elen
08-11-16, 09:26
Really well done telling you GP, that took guts.

Must say that I am disappointed that she just gave you a prescription and sent you on your way. She really should have looked at some sort of therapy for you.

I would suggest looking at some on line CBT to help you fight the urge to self examine and think the worst.

If you follow this link (thanks Terry) http://psychology.tools/download-therapy-worksheets.html and go near the bottom there is a section specifically for HA sufferers.

It may also be worth looking on the MIND website to see if there is free help available near you.

You have done the hard part, now to keep going.

Elen

Jessicasmummy
08-11-16, 10:44
Thank you all! I'm hoping to be much happier when the meds kick in but the gp did say it will take a couple of weeks. I've to go back and let her know how I'm getting on so I'll speak to her about therapy. I think because she did say it's definitely not the big C that's made me more at ease even though I still have fears at the back of my mind. Just looking forward to getti g better mentally

Fishmanpa
08-11-16, 18:48
Well done for going to the doctor and taking a step towards healing! Yes, the meds should kick in in a few weeks and you should feel more chill. They'll help put you in the right frame of mind for therapy. When I suffered with some depression, I went on Zoloft for 6 months and had therapy. The meds were the "crutches" I needed until I was able to get myself back on my feet mentally.

Positive thoughts

Jessicasmummy
08-11-16, 20:14
I'm hoping so! Only thing I'm struggling with is urges to check my breast. I had a poke at it earlier but trying not to go near tonight

Mercime
08-11-16, 20:58
You will not cause cancer by poking around, but what you will do is irritate the hell out of your breast tissue and cause lumps where there weren't really any to start with! Please put therapy on a par with meds, make it something you address now, not weeks along the line - it will mean that you are pushing to get yourself better. Sure you can do it!

Jessicasmummy
09-11-16, 10:58
I'm just hoping I'll be feeling better and won't have the urge to poke anymore! It's mostly when I go to bed at night I'll have a good prod

Mercime
09-11-16, 11:50
You will have the urge but you have to start fighting it. Put a bra on, or wear gloves lol. Anything that will interfere with your poking around!

Jessicasmummy
09-11-16, 12:26
Got my appointment through for December few days before xmas