PDA

View Full Version : Auto Suggestion - Good technique?

Scaredlady
07-11-16, 23:46
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I just wanted to know what people thought of the following as I have been doing quite a bit of "self help" research the last while but I don't want to engage with techniques that may prove to be counter productive.

I am currently on prescribed medication, using a natural supplement, waiting on a referral to the MHT (which was apparently lodged as "urgent" five days ago) and trying to get to grips with things like the breathing exercises and the worksheets.

Auto suggestion is supposedly considered a mind programming tool that helps you to become more aware of your own subconscious and strengthen your positive thought abilities. An example would be in a situation where you tell yourself off in a negative way "You can't do anything right", with auto suggestion you would then immediately say “DELETE” and then say something positive and encouraging that is appropriate to the situation, such as “I try my best”. You can also give yourself a direct command through auto suggestion like "Calm down" or "Relax".

Basically there's 5 steps and you can do it as often as you want and/or skip steps to suit your needs-
1) Auto Suggestion (As explained above)
2) Affirmation (Use positive language in the first person, I)
3) Repetition (Repeat, Repeat, Repeat)
4) Visualisation (Visualising how you want things to be whilst also using auto suggestion at the same time)
5) Meditation - Focusing on the auto suggesting tool.

The key apparently is to keep doing it, over and over again. Now what I wanted to ask you guys is would it be alright to do while I'm waiting on the MHT assessing me? I don't want to set myself back any further by using a technique that is detrimental. I just don't know if it is detrimental or not, hence why I'm seeking your advice.

My thinking on a personal level was to write out short phrases on the theme of what bothers me and turn it into affirmative auto suggestions to recite when intrusive thoughts are bothering me, for example;

I do not have schizophrenia.
I am not afraid of noise.
I am getting better every day.
I can relax.

Some feedback would be good please? Thanks.