PDA

View Full Version : Pychiatrist - Second Opinion

Mermaid16
08-11-16, 02:14
Off today to get a second opinion from a different psychiatrist. Am feeling very anxious. If she agrees with what the psychiatrist has said, then I will take that and continue with him...I can't help feeling that I am on too many medications, many of which aren't helping. Oh well, we will see what the outcome is...

dale12345
08-11-16, 02:44
Off today to get a second opinion from a different psychiatrist. Am feeling very anxious. If she agrees with what the psychiatrist has said, then I will take that and continue with him...I can't help feeling that I am on too many medications, many of which aren't helping. Oh well, we will see what the outcome is...
Good luck thinking of you.:hugs:

Mermaid16
08-11-16, 07:58
Well, saw the doc for a second opinion and I'm going to stay with the second new (Cross - last name for ease of explaining my story) doc that I saw today. There are a number of reasons I made this decision. The first being that I had an hour long appointment and (cross) actually listened to what I was saying. Asked questions etc and didn't just hand me a script after 5 minutes like (Mahaptra) did. On my last appointment (Mahapatra asked me about being on Venlafaxine, which I wasn't on - he had another patients folder, then asked me about another medication which I wasn't on, again he had another patients folder). Third time lucky and it was my folder. After tapering down Sertraline dose from 100mg to 50 mg (Cross) has now advised me to increase the dose up to 100mg to start with. Taking as long as I feel comfortable with and to increase the Mirtazapine from 15mg to 30mg. She has also changed me from valium 2mg x 4 times a day to Klonopin .5mg twice a day. I am also to stop taking the Olanzapine (which I am happy about, as it seemed to help at night to calm me, but did nothing during the day at all). All in all, I am happy to be back on some medications I am happy with. She is also getting my estrogen levels checked as I may be in pre menopause. My mum went through menopause at 40 and I'm 41. She said that going on the 'pill' can increase estrogen levels if they are out. So I felt she was very thorough. I am scare to take the Klonopin and the increased Mirt tonight, but I have to do something to try and improve this chronic anxiety. Please, no horror stories about medications and why I should be doing therapy and not relying on medication. I meditate, do breathing exercises and am seeing a psychologist. That's where I'm at. Tracy x

dale12345
08-11-16, 17:44
I think you are doing awesome and the med changes sound like a good idea.

Shazamataz
08-11-16, 19:43
Hi Tracy, sounds like this one has actually listened to you which is good. If you feel confident with your psychiatrist you will feel more confident moving forward with treatment.

One less med is a good thing! I hope things settle for you soon

xx

dale12345
08-11-16, 21:32
The Klonopin is like valium in the way it relaxes you. You will be fine.

Debs21uk
09-11-16, 00:28
Hi Tracy,

I think faith and confidence in your doctor is everything. I wish I'd went with my gut instinct when this all started for me and changed doctor after the first visit as I'm sure her actions made my anxiety worse. Just changing my GP alone gave me a bit of a boost.

You keep powering forward and bite the bullet (or pill).

Mermaid16
10-11-16, 09:33
Just doing an update...not that I feel like it. I think I'm getting depressed??? I don't know if it is because of all the med changes, but today, especially this afternoon, all I want to do is lay on the bed and be on my own. I feel drugged off my face, but don't know which is causing it. I figured it's probably not the Sertraline because I've only increased by 25mg and it can't be the Olanzapine, because I stopped taking it. I can only put it down to the Klonopin, but is is a similar dose when converted to what I was taking in Valium (I think). I'm so confused and overwhelmed and am just trying to ride out the next few days. The thing that breaks my heart the most is the impact this is having on my children. They don't quite understand why I need to lay down and have rests, am crying and having panic attacks. They give me lots of hugs and reassurance that this will get better. Right now my head feels like it's going to explode. Just make it through today is what I have to keep telling myself.

dale12345
10-11-16, 18:42
Just doing an update...not that I feel like it. I think I'm getting depressed??? I don't know if it is because of all the med changes, but today, especially this afternoon, all I want to do is lay on the bed and be on my own. I feel drugged off my face, but don't know which is causing it. I figured it's probably not the Sertraline because I've only increased by 25mg and it can't be the Olanzapine, because I stopped taking it. I can only put it down to the Klonopin, but is is a similar dose when converted to what I was taking in Valium (I think). I'm so confused and overwhelmed and am just trying to ride out the next few days. The thing that breaks my heart the most is the impact this is having on my children. They don't quite understand why I need to lay down and have rests, am crying and having panic attacks. They give me lots of hugs and reassurance that this will get better. Right now my head feels like it's going to explode. Just make it through today is what I have to keep telling myself.

I feel so sorry you feel this way, med changes are hard. But it will get better sweetie I promise. Your kids love you and know they are loved you are a great mother. Hang in there, I know it is hard. But you will get there I promise!!! you are a great person and friend!

dally
10-11-16, 21:54
I'm glad you've finally got a dr that you feel is listening to you. Altering meds usually bring with it some side effects. Hopefully they won't last long. Remember it is only a chemical change and your body readjusting to the new meds. It will get easier. Thinking of you xx

Mermaid16
11-11-16, 08:42
Thanks everyone for your support. I think I'm going to keep this as a dairy of how I'm feeling so I can see how I'm going. My anxiety is always high when I have the kids here (my fear is that something will happen, like a massive panic or something and I don't want to freak them out). Woke at 5.30am and took .5mg Klonopin. Anxiety was there and this quelled that by the time the kids were up. Got everything organised and then off to school. I don't drive at the moment because of the anxiety and medication. Went to work, had to have a staff meeting which I didn't want to go to, but survived it. Even though I was thinking about how I was feeling the whole time. By midday was feeling anxious, but tried to hang out to the 8 hour mark before I took .25mg of Klonopin. I will take the other half .25mg before bed. Nausea didn't feel as bad today, but when I get home from work all I want to do is lay down. I cook dinner and get up to the kids, but sitting upright or standing makes me feel like I want to lay down. The kids come and lay with me and talk to me. I want to sleep but it won't come because of the medications. I try and close my eyes, but can't stop thinking about myself and my illness so play on my phone to distract myself. It was so long ago that I started Sertraline that I can't remember what the start up effects were like...is what I'm feeling normal, or do people usually go about their day, with a bit of increased anxiety. We have a family lunch for my sons birthday on Sunday and I'm really worried that everyone will be looking at me and be able to see through the front I am putting on. I certainly don't feel like I'm handling this as well as I did 20 years ago. I feel like my options are more limited, what if this increase doesn't work, what then? I know I need to focus on being positive, but it is so hard. The positivity comes and goes, but the afternoons nights are when I feel down. Maybe I'm just tired. Will see how I feel over the weekend, maybe some rest will help me feel better.

dale12345
11-11-16, 17:23
Thanks everyone for your support. I think I'm going to keep this as a dairy of how I'm feeling so I can see how I'm going. My anxiety is always high when I have the kids here (my fear is that something will happen, like a massive panic or something and I don't want to freak them out). Woke at 5.30am and took .5mg Klonopin. Anxiety was there and this quelled that by the time the kids were up. Got everything organised and then off to school. I don't drive at the moment because of the anxiety and medication. Went to work, had to have a staff meeting which I didn't want to go to, but survived it. Even though I was thinking about how I was feeling the whole time. By midday was feeling anxious, but tried to hang out to the 8 hour mark before I took .25mg of Klonopin. I will take the other half .25mg before bed. Nausea didn't feel as bad today, but when I get home from work all I want to do is lay down. I cook dinner and get up to the kids, but sitting upright or standing makes me feel like I want to lay down. The kids come and lay with me and talk to me. I want to sleep but it won't come because of the medications. I try and close my eyes, but can't stop thinking about myself and my illness so play on my phone to distract myself. It was so long ago that I started Sertraline that I can't remember what the start up effects were like...is what I'm feeling normal, or do people usually go about their day, with a bit of increased anxiety. We have a family lunch for my sons birthday on Sunday and I'm really worried that everyone will be looking at me and be able to see through the front I am putting on. I certainly don't feel like I'm handling this as well as I did 20 years ago. I feel like my options are more limited, what if this increase doesn't work, what then? I know I need to focus on being positive, but it is so hard. The positivity comes and goes, but the afternoons nights are when I feel down. Maybe I'm just tired. Will see how I feel over the weekend, maybe some rest will help me feel better.

I think you doing a great job, I hope that your sons birthday lunch goes great, I know being in a large crowd can be hard because of anxiety.

Debs21uk
11-11-16, 18:30
I think you are an absolute trooper and you have faced one of the most testing times in your life. Remember if the increase doesn't work there are other options even within the same class of meds. Like you I can't remember start up side effects when I first went on cit as I had an illness and was a bit out of it, so,etimes I wish I was out of it again so I wouldn't be conscious of how I feel all the time. Just remember you did it once so you can do it again. It's very early days so remember that.

I started a diary to track my progress plus if you Google MADRS and HAM-A, professionals use these as rating scales to track if your depression and anxiety are improving. I started them mid cross taper and even in two weeks my score has come down so it gives me a bit of encouragement. My depression went from 36 which is severe to 22 moderate and my anxiety was at 23 and has come down to 18.

Always here for you xxx

Mermaid16
12-11-16, 07:18
Thanks Guys. Again the morning was good, but as soon as the anxiety builds and I take the Klonopin, the depression sets in. I just don't feel like doing anything. I baked cupcakes and made coconut ice with my daughter so I feel better after doing that. Like I have achieved something. Still really tired all the time and because I feel queazy I just wan to lay down, not even sit on the couch. We went and do some groceries today even though I didn't want to go into the shop, but know the more I do it the easier it will become. My daughter and I spend a lot of time together, so she comes and lays in the room with me and watches a movie. I can't sleep but try to rest. Then my mind starts again and I will read on here or do a crossword puzzle. My mood has lifted slightly. I'm wondering if stopping the Olanzapine might mess up my moods for a while as well. Not to mention it's that time of the month, so I've got it all going on. We have ordered pizza and are having a cake for my Son tonight and then a family get together tomorrow. I'm feeling better about the get together now. My family (my partners family) don't really know anything about my anxiety and that I'm changing meds at the moment, so feel like a bit of a fraud, but it's hard when people don't understand. Like my partner doesn't understand that stopping a med can make you feel really sick. He thinks you just stop them and that's it. Anyhow getting through this day so far a bit better. Bloody anxiety...I pray that my daughter and son don't suffer with it, but at least if they do I will be able to guide them. My mother, father and sister don't have it, so they want to help but don't know what to do. I guess that's why we are so licky to have forumns like this. Xx

dale12345
12-11-16, 19:12
I really hope the depression lifts for you soon. getting used to meds can be so hard,